The Walnut tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely wood...good old English walnut...and it never ceases to amaze me why it is not planted all over the villages as it used to be as it is relatively fast growing (compared with continental drift anyway)! :mrgreen:

Reading the "Village Carpenter" it seems that the aforementioned made sure a copse or two of good old walnut to supply them with quality English hardwoods for future generations.

The grain in that bowl Paul is amazing! Bravo! =D>

Jim

Paul C recently had his second (and last :( ) walnut tree taken down as it had died and was potentially dangerous, and yesterday I made the trip over to help out and eat my own weight in pork pies and cups of tea :lol:

After a cuppa and catch up to recover from the trip down the M3 and M25 we got stuck into the work and were so keen that we didn't think to take any before pictures :roll:

Wasn't a massive tree though and a few hours work, fitted in around food and drink breaks, saw it pretty much all sorted, slabbed up and reduced to manageable size pieces by the time the light, and my back, started to go later in the day !

Survived the return trip round the M25 and didn't have the energy to unload the jeep at this end, other than the chainsaws just in case anybody took a liking to them, and finished unpacking this morning.

Paul kindly let me have some nice lumps of the walnut to take home and convert to turning blanks, and I forgot to take photos as I was unloading, but remembered in time to take some shots of a couple of the pieces as I was moving them into the workshop.

This slab was probably about 4' tall and 8 to 10" thick, any bigger and I wouldn't be able to handle it !

Some good heartwood throughout the tree and in particular on the larger slabs from near the base.

If you look carefully at the last picture above, top left of the slab, you can see the end of a thick nail that I discovered while slabbing it up with the Alaskan mill and my big husky saw with a nearly new chain fitted :evil: Made an innocuous quiet snicking noise as it cut through the nail without hardly noticing, but closer examination showed it had taken the top off of one tooth entirely and created havoc with a few others as well !

Managed to heave the slabs into the workshop and then end sealed both ends, and will leave them to dry out a bit more before deciding how best to break them down further, and to let my back recover :lol:

I think Paul C is going to take some more photos of the days efforts, or the end results at least, and post them up when he gets a minute, but I was so chuffed at the days efforts and the end results that I thought I would post this up in the meantime as an appetiser :wink:

Cheers, Paul

paulm":31vudhrb said:
Paul C recently had his second (and last :( ) walnut tree taken down as it had died and was potentially dangerous, and yesterday I made the trip over to help out and eat my own weight in pork pies and cups of tea :lol:

Sod's law - just as we were getting the hang of it, I ran out of Walnut trees :lol:

I'll post up some photos of some of the other bits when I have a minute.

Many thanks for your help, Paul - much appreciated.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

That looks like some beautiful timber Paul, I look forward to seeing what you make from it.

Cheers.

Doug.

Here are a few more pictures of the tree. This is one before I had it taken down - been dead about two years

As you can see, the trunk divided in two not far from the ground

Here it is before Paulm and I started on it

Eventually managed to get it all off the grass and get rid of the saw dust

And if it's any consolation to Paulm, I also found a nail :evil:

All in all, a good couple of days work.

Paul

I'd forgotten how much we'd managed to get done Paul, looks great :)

I can always come back and take a few more bits away for you if you've nowhere to keep them :lol:

Shame about the nails, can get a bit expensive on replacement chains :evil: Still, if that's the cost of getting such lovely timber I guess we've still done very well :D

Cheers, Paul

paulm":xgqig6sh said:
Shame about the nails, can get a bit expensive on replacement chains :evil: Still, if that's the cost of getting such lovely timber I guess we've still done very well :D

Indeed - and you get plenty of free logs for the fire :D

Paul

Latest posts

Back