The Walnut tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":1lq3mlt5 said:
Smart move, Paul - so next time I meet Debbie, it will be me and my tree that get the blame for you buying even more tools :roll: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Yep, absolutely Paul, it's all your fault, surprised you're brave enough to venture back again :shock:

If I were you I would just write off all the walnut slabs and keep your distance and good health in case swmbo catches you :wink: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

Paul popped round today with some of the Walnut which he had cut into planks on his bandsaw. Looks like some nice stuff

Walnut12.jpg

Walnut13.jpg

I'll be storing this in a sheltered spot in the garden to dry out.

We cut up the remaining good logs which had reasonable amounts of heartwood and Paul has taken these back to his place. I'll be popping down there tomorrow to help cut up the larger pieces on the bandsaw.

Overall we are really pleased with how much good stuff there was on this tree.

Paul

Just back home having safely negotiated the M25 and M3 with a car and trailer load of finest walnut, amazing how boring it is driving all those miles at 50mph :lol:

It was a heavy old load again though so safest taking it easy, legal limits for trailers aside.

Haven't unloaded it yet, discovered I feel pretty knackered for some reason :roll: so will tackle it fresh in the morning.

It's a good looking haul you've got there Paul, I was sad to see it go, looked right at home in my woodshed :lol:

I do have a fresh trailer load though as you say and much of that is destined to become turning blanks I suspect, and I'm not short of the odd bit of wood as it is, as you know :D

Looking forwards to tomorrow.

chisel":3hs5aqiw said:
...and I'm not short of the odd bit of wood as it is, as you know :D

Looking forwards to tomorrow.

Now that's gota be the first understatement of '09...nice load Paul :wink: the merest hint of a gloat in there? - Rob

What a great thread this has turned (pun not intended)out to be , but tell me , does two Pauls and a walnut = a Paulnut ???
Seriously though , as I have just recently started out on the tree trail and been reading about it I would say I have just gleaned some very practical and useful info on what it's about from , .let's say a 'hobbyist' situation .
What makes it feel more ''hands on like'' is the advice and points of view contained within the input of the more and the less experienced members if you get my drift***d .
I'm still proud of my 4' x16 ''dia Birch log ,felled by my own hands , well almost my own , question is , will I hold out the required two year for dry or lose patience and lash out on a lathe and go green and whirly ??? only time will tell .
But well done to the two Pauls and a wood new year to all for 2009
Cheers !

woodbloke":1o7eyf83 said:
chisel":1o7eyf83 said:
...and I'm not short of the odd bit of wood as it is, as you know :D
Now that's gota be the first understatement of '09...nice load Paul :wink: the merest hint of a gloat in there? - Rob

No idea what you mean Rob :whistle: :lol:

joesoap":2zz7sdt7 said:
What a great thread this has turned (pun not intended)out to be

Thanks, Joe :D This is all new stuff for me and only came about because the tree died on me :( I've never tried converting timber before, so there's a big element of trial and error.

I'd like to publicly say a very big "thank you" to the other Paul for all his help - I really couldn't have done any of this without him :wink:

Paul (the other one) and I hope to keep this thread going with stuff we eventually make from the wood, so watch this space.........

Paul

Paul Chapman":mhud8099 said:
joesoap":mhud8099 said:
What a great thread this has turned (pun not intended)out to be

Thanks, Joe :D This is all new stuff for me and only came about because the tree died on me :( I've never tried converting timber before, so there's a big element of trial and error.

I'd like to publicly say a very big "thank you" to the other Paul for all his help - I really couldn't have done any of this without him :wink:

Paul (the other one) and I hope to keep this thread going with stuff we eventually make from the wood, so watch this space.........

Paul
I sure will Paul and look forward to each post on it . Cheers !

It's a waiting game now. We'll all be a bit older before it gets used ;)

EdSutton":rmdeogdm said:
Very interesting Paul.

The bowlsaver you have bought appears to be a higher tech version of this, which I enjyed watching the other day;

http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2 ... bowls.html

Cheers, Ed

Yes, saw that Ed, very interesting isn't it. Just goes to show there are few really new ideas around, and if you have the skills and ingenuity to design and make your own tools you can have a lot of fun and save a lot of money in the process !

Thought I would post an update with a platter turned last week from a lovely piece of Paul C's walnut tree.

This was the inside cored from a much larger bowl blank, and being one of my early attempts at coring I had managed to make it too shallow really for a bowl, so it had been languishing in my workshop for ages waiting for inspiration !

About 12" diameter, finished with several coats of danish oil and then a couple of wax.

DSCN0579.jpg

DSCN0576.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

DSCN0578.jpg

First platter I've done for a long time, quite pleased with it :)

Cheers, Paul

Just spent 3/4hr reading this old thread and it's offshoots, very interesting and glad I did. What beautiful wood! And that platter is very deceptive, I couldn't get any hint of the shape until I saw the profile, must be the nicely flowing curves.

I have one of Paul's platters as well:

002SMALL-9.jpg

...this one he kindly turned for me from a lump of lacewood around 35mm thick, so not much to play with. It now sits in the lounge and we use it as our second fruit bowl and arrived on Christmas Eve 2010, so a very nice extra Chrimbo present that year :D - Rob

monkeybiter":2psc7hhi said:
Just spent 3/4hr reading this old thread and it's offshoots, very interesting and glad I did. What beautiful wood! And that platter is very deceptive, I couldn't get any hint of the shape until I saw the profile, must be the nicely flowing curves.

The photo's aren't great and don't really give the depth and richness of colour, but wanted to avoid sharp transitions and edges in the shape so as not to detract from the figuring and colour.

Could get hooked on this woodturning lark :lol:

Cheers, Paul

paulm":l6dmipqb said:
Could get hooked on this woodturning lark :lol:

Cheers, Paul
You already are Paul...that lathe of yours could give the Tirpitz a run for it's money! :lol: - Rob

Back