Fresh Walnut question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajsimmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Our local tree surgeon has offered Walnut to anyone (for free). So I've just collected a small amount to have a go at carving. Should I just let it dry over the next 6 months, or would I be better suited starting while it's still green?

Also, cutting boards would be nice.

He said he's spent most of his life killing trees for logs, so it's nice to give it away to people who might create something.

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_115902.jpg
    IMG_20240304_115902.jpg
    9.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240304_115841.jpg
    IMG_20240304_115841.jpg
    11 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240304_115855.jpg
    IMG_20240304_115855.jpg
    10.6 MB · Views: 0
you can also use up odds and ends of normal paint...
you are basically blocking the open ends of the wood fibres (think column of straws) so that it dries equally sides and top / bottom - otherwise it will dry 10-15x as fast from the ends and crack...

If you want to try your hand at something like spoon carving, then I believe that's easier when the wood is green. If it was me I'd set some of it aside for a year or two to dry, and have a go at some green woodworking projects with the rest.

you can also use up odds and ends of normal paint...
you are basically blocking the open ends of the wood fibres (think column of straws) so that it dries equally sides and top / bottom - otherwise it will dry 10-15x as fast from the ends and crack...
Thanks, very clearly explained.

If you want to try your hand at something like spoon carving, then I believe that's easier when the wood is green. If it was me I'd set some of it aside for a year or two to dry, and have a go at some green woodworking projects with the rest.
Good idea Rob, thanks mate.

Just bear in mind that whatever you use to seal end grain, whether it be paint, PVA or emulsified sealing wax designed for the job such as End Seal you're still almost certain to get radial splitting of one sort or another such as star shake or a simple (or double) heart shake. Being short logs it's possible that a shake or shakes could extend the full length of a log. Whatever your intended end use you may have to work around such eventualities if they occur. Slainte.

Just bear in mind that whatever you use to seal end grain, whether it be paint, PVA or emulsified sealing wax designed for the job such as End Seal you're still almost certain to get radial splitting of one sort or another such as star shake or a simple (or double) heart shake. Being short logs it's possible that a shake or shakes could extend the full length of a log. Whatever your intended end use you may have to work around such eventualities if they occur. Slainte.
Bloody hell Sgian, reading all these replies I feel like taking up metal work!! 😂🤣😂.
Seriously though, thanks mate, all good information, especially S I was going to seal the ends with varnish! (not now though). Cheers.
Ali

Back