The Walnut tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A follow on project from this old thread and another piece of PaulC's tree, yep, yet another bowl :roll: :lol:

This had been cored and rough turned ages ago and I kept putting it off as it had developed a largish split in one side through the heartwood, but finally got around to giving it a go.

It's a large one ! 15" x 5 or 6", finished with four coats of danish and then a couple of coats of woodwax.

Pic's aren't great, just used the iphone as didn't have the camera to hand:-

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

The next one isn't from PaulC's tree, but from a neighbours walnut tree I salvaged from them a couple of years ago and have been drying the timber out. Not as good as your's Paul unfortunately :wink: , not as much heartwood and some large areas of rot to contend with.

3.jpg

4.jpg

This one is a tiddly 6" x 2 1/2" and has had a couple of coats of oil so not yet fully finished.

Here it is beside the rest of the same blank that was cored out and has been drying in the rough and needs to be finish turned too, four decent bowls hopefully from the same piece, fingers crossed.

1.jpg

Only problem is that there was a very large area of rot through one side of the complete blank, I have filled that with superglue and dust/shavings and seems pretty solid, but not sure how will it will stand up to turning and how it will finish. Worst case I guess I can dremel it out and make a feature of it in the set of bowls :lol:

You can see in the background some of the rest of the neighbours walnut that I have been converting, some into decent sized bowl blanks (not in pics) but some into 1" and 1 1/2" planks for other non-turning uses yet to be decided. Here's some more getting in the way !

2.jpg

Not the best walnut as it was summer felled unfortunately so the non-heartwood areas (or sap to you Rob :lol: ) are a bit discoloured and the heartwood areas are quite small, but there is some attractive figuring and colouring nonetheless that would look good in box lids or small cabinet doors or similar as "features" ! Better than using for firewood anyway :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Paul

I'm not a huge fan of bowls Paul but that one is stunning! =D>

But the best bit is the loo you are building on the right...that's going to be stunning! :mrgreen: :wink:

Seriously....I am (not so) green with envy!

Jim

jimi43":1br57kr0 said:
But the best bit is the loo you are building on the right...that's going to be stunning! :mrgreen: :wink:
Jim

Took me quite a while to figure that one out Jim before I could see it :lol:

I ran out of spacers so resorted to balancing them on end temporarily to let the air flow, as still a bit damp inside despite having been left for a couple of years in the round, not surprising really I guess.

Cheers, Paul

paulm":278y8ibg said:
jimi43":278y8ibg said:
Jim

Took me quite a while to figure that one out Jim before I could see it :lol:

I ran out of spacers so resorted to balancing them on end temporarily to let the air flow, as still a bit damp inside despite having been left for a couple of years in the round, not surprising really I guess.

Cheers, Paul

Sometimes I just see funny thinks Paul...thanks for the laugh!

Jim

paulm":wgt9knp9 said:
...unfortunately so the non-heartwood areas (or sap to you Rob :lol: )

Cheers, Paul
All looks good from this end Paul. Mind you, if any of that walnut is getting in the way, you could always lob a bit my way. Fat chance of that happening though :lol: :lol: - Rob, (who's just bought a load)

Paul C turned up a small walnut bowl at my place a while back as his first introduction to bowl making on a lathe, and very successful it was too. Having given that one as a gift to his son Scott a while ago another was needed for Paul's daughter Amy, who asked for a deeper version if possible.

Not having his own Record DML24 lathe set up yet ( get a move on Paul (hammer) :lol: ), Paul came over today for a refresher and one of the few remaining turning blanks from his tree that I haven't converted yet, and a fun and productive day was had with a bit of turning interspersed with suitably frequent coffee, fag and food breaks and a bit of resting in the garden !

Paul has a natural feel for woodworking and cutting tools of all types and picked up quite easily from where he had left off a couple of years (?) or so ago, soon turning a very rough looking blank into a very decent deep bowl, with minimal help from me.

Forgot to take any pics of the blank but here's some of the work in progress

Sunday4.jpg

Sunday1.jpg

A big pile of shavings for such a small bowl :shock: :lol:

Sunday3.jpg

(Most of the shavings were actually already there from my previous big bowl earlier in the week !)

And the nearly finished article

Sunday2.jpg

Paul's taken it home this evening to oil up and take some closer pics, the figuring and colour should come up a treat when oiled.

Hope Amy like's it Paul, you did a great job =D>

Cheers, Paul

Many thanks for a great day, Paul :D The bowl has already had its first coat of oil and it's looking great. I'll take some snaps and post them up when I've finished oiling and polishing it later in the week.

Thanks again for the tuition and for the lovely lunch.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Isn't this great , people with the same interests sharing each other company

I had some open house events some years ago hoping to make some woodey friends , but alas this has not happened :? they came they used and went :mrgreen:

Great to see

thanks for showing us =D>

Harbo":2chn88pv said:
Very nice - pity the shavings don't make roll ups?? :)

Rod

Interesting idea Rod, maybe they would, though I don't plan on being the one to find out :lol:

Wonder if they would be any good on the bbq though for smoking food ? Might give that a go perhaps, otherwise destined for the paths in the veg' garden or the compost bins !

Cheers, Paul

Blister":3fb2uvw0 said:
Isn't this great , people with the same interests sharing each other company

I had some open house events some years ago hoping to make some woodey friends , but alas this has not happened :? they came they used and went :mrgreen:

Great to see

thanks for showing us =D>

It is great Allen, the internet and forums are great for finding like minded people, otherwise we would all be beavering away by ourselves in our sheds and nobody to share stuff with, which wouldn't be half as much fun !

You're welcome to visit anytime if you fancy a day of turning and tea and biscuits and a chat :D

Cheers, Paul

woodbloke":1dold3lg said:
Nice head gear Paul...almost the same shade as Jims smurf shirt :mrgreen: :lol:

Thanks. If I really get into this wood turning lark, I'll probably have to grow a beard as well...... :lol:

Paul

I finished the bowl today

DSC_0331.jpg

I gave it four coats of Danish oil, rubbing down with Webrax between coats and then finished it with Liberon Black Bison clear wax. Overall I'm very pleased with it, given that it's only the second bowl I've turned.

The final test came this afternoon when I drove round to see Amy and gave her the bowl. She thought it was very nice :D

Thanks again for all your help, Paul.

Paul

You're welcome Paul :)

The oil brought the heartwood out nicely, and the wax gives it a nice soft sheen. Glad Amy likes it :)

Nice sharp picture of it too, is that with your new camera ? :wink:

And where's the pics of the other bits and pieces you brought round, I liked those ? 8)

Cheers, Paul

Latest posts

Back