The Walnut tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to do a couple more logs this morning Paul, straightforwards now the saw and run-off arrangement is set-up, took about an hour to sort these two, nice and easy is best with 12" thick wet timber like this

DSCN0850.jpg

Same as the last ones 60 to 70mm thick, have moved them out of the workshop and back to the unheated shed for safety, keep those fingers crossed :D

Will try one of the bigger logs a bit later when I've had a breather :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

It's so beautiful. Can't wait to see what Chisel can do with it on the lathe.

Hehe. I like the new avatar Chisel! Looks like you guys have been having a lot of fun.

A walnut tree eh? I've heard that they can be tapped and the sap boiled into something like maple syrup but with a slightly different flavour. I've never seen walnut syrup sold so I'm guessing that people have decided it's not worth the trouble but I'd like to give it a try some time. I'm a major maple syrup fan and the flavour is reportedly similar.

Suppose that the act of tapping the tree would ruin the wood in the area of the tap for future woodworking. Still it'd be interesting to try. Give the wood a lick for me please Chisel and report back your flavorsome findings. Mind the bandsaw blade as you go though :lol:

Simon

HeathRobinson":15ec8sd8 said:
Hehe. I like the new avatar Chisel!
Give the wood a lick for me please Chisel and report back your flavorsome findings. Mind the bandsaw blade as you go though :lol:

Simon

Had a bit of trouble sizing the new avatar, pic' courtesy of Paul C :lol: Hopefully about the right size now ?

I can imagine the sap tastes nice actually, the wet wood when just cut smells quite sweet :shock:

Of course you get walnut oil but I imagine thats from the pressed nuts ?

Don't think I'll be doing any tasting though Simon, but I'll save you an offcut to try for yourself and you can let me know how you get on :lol:

Cheers, Paul :ho2

HeathRobinson":2ji9uh3a said:
I've heard that they can be tapped and the sap boiled into something like maple syrup but with a slightly different flavour. I've never seen walnut syrup sold so I'm guessing that people have decided it's not worth the trouble but I'd like to give it a try some time. I'm a major maple syrup fan and the flavour is reportedly similar.

Interesting. I had to prune a branch out of our walnut tree at the last house, and followed the advice to do it in winter, but sap still <poured> out of the cut for a day or more. I'd assumed the sap was possibly toxic, given the herbicidal properties of walnuts, but maybe that's only a problem if you're a plant.

Yeap, walnut, birch, maple of course, and even grape vines are said to be tappable for syrup. I'm leading the thread astray though, back to the adventures of the two Pauls and their walnut. Must make a note to revisit this thread each year to keep an eye on the drying progress. This could turn out to be the longest running thread on UK workshop ever! :lol:

wizer":21h6cvfd said:
It's so beautiful. Can't wait to see what Chisel can do with it on the lathe.

Cut a piece for turning this afternoon, should get a nice big bowl around 12" diameter by about 5" deep hopefully. Just a square blank at the moment, need to cut the corners and some waste off before I can rough it out, then leave oversize to dry out some more.

Makes me wish I had a bowl saver type tool to take the core out first rather than turning to shavings :shock: :( Only problem is they are pretty expensive and hard to justify unless you are doing a lot of turning of expensive timbers rather than the ash, sycamore, beech etc I usually do.

Will hopefully be a nice simple shape to show off the timber to best effect, and something to get use at home for salads, fruit etc, but will take a few months to stabilise and finish after initial turning, so don't expect to see much anytime soon :lol:

dickm":mb2ka13n said:
Interesting. I had to prune a branch out of our walnut tree at the last house, and followed the advice to do it in winter, but sap still <poured> out of the cut for a day or more.

Dick,

All the advice I have received says that, unlike other trees, Walnuts should be pruned in the summer after all the leaves have formed, otherwise they can bleed to death. As you found, when you do it in the winter, water pours out of the cut for ages.

Cheers :ho2

Paul

Paul Chapman":3efyka26 said:
dickm":3efyka26 said:
Interesting. I had to prune a branch out of our walnut tree at the last house, and followed the advice to do it in winter, but sap still <poured> out of the cut for a day or more.

Dick,

All the advice I have received says that, unlike other trees, Walnuts should be pruned in the summer after all the leaves have formed, otherwise they can bleed to death. As you found, when you do it in the winter, water pours out of the cut for ages.

Paul

Never knew that Paul, interesting that it's pretty much the opposite of what you are supposed to do for other trees.

Think I may take a break from the workshop today, too much to do getting ready for Xmas, at least that's what swmbo is telling me :lol:

We'll see, might sneak in there later if all goes well....... and she's not looking :lol:

Chems":3f6rzpc2 said:
It didnt look darker like Lord Nimbo's whos design that is.
In some projects I think sapwood can look attractive. Chems do you have a shade already for the lamp? We have found it very expensive to buy shades that suit the lamp. At present we need to buy three new ones and the cheapest I can find are about £30 each :shock:

chisel":1wfrdt8f said:
Never knew that Paul, interesting that it's pretty much the opposite of what you are supposed to do for other trees.

Yes, I was going to have mine cut back a bit this summer but then one of them died on me before I could get it done :( Now that we've had it taken down the squirrels are wandering around looking a bit confused :? That'll teach 'em to eat all my nuts........

Paul

Off to Paul's again in the morning to sort out and bring back some more of his walnut tree \:D/

Oh, nearly forgot, and to take a few slabs of it back to his place :cry: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

Smart move, Paul - so next time I meet Debbie, it will be me and my tree that get the blame for you buying even more tools :roll: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back