The UKW Infill Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually...Corneel...I think you may be right...

2014-07-17%2014.45.50.jpg

...unfortunately the slotted bolts spec is different from of all the Allen keys I bought...GRRRR!!! The height of the countersink top is too small.....so will look around for replacements....that is really annoying but you can get a rough idea from that shot what it looks like.

Ok...back to the job in hand...the finishing...

With coat #5 we are getting the build-up now...

2014-07-17%2014.39.33.jpg

Each time we lay a coat...it gets cut back giving a smoother base for the next coat...

2014-07-17%2014.47.42.jpg

This brings out the true beauty of Tru-Oil...rather like French Polishing...you get whatever finish you wish and the gloss is subtle...much more subtle than the plastic look of modern finishes.....and none of the "plastic" feel either.....

2014-07-17%2014.40.03.jpg

....and the grain is starting to fill in.

ALFIE was very well behaved today too!

20140717_144014.jpg

Mostly because the lazy git was asleep throughout....it's rather hot out there!

So...anyone tell me where I can find slightly more butch brass bolts!? :roll:

Jimi

Racers":34vzknny said:
You need a man with a lathe :wink:

Pete

Actually Pete...you know what...I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing not moments ago!

It really comes to something when you have to make your own bolts doesn't it! :mrgreen:

Classy though!! 8)

Ok...I'll make a couple of bolts.... :mrgreen:

Jimi

Exactly Pete, is the chap who made that stunning lever cap screw available ?

What is Isaac up to ?

If one of your slotted brass screws fancy a trip up North I'm sure I'll find an allen key to fit.

jimi43":2lghd0ty said:
Racers":2lghd0ty said:

Pete

Actually Pete...you know what...I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing not moments ago!

It really comes to something when you have to make your own bolts doesn't it! :mrgreen:

Classy though!! 8)

Jimi

A couple with very slightly domed heads would look nice.

Pete

Racers":dw9d4wi0 said:
jimi43":dw9d4wi0 said:
Racers":dw9d4wi0 said:

Pete

Classy though!! 8)

Jimi

A couple with very slightly domed heads would look nice.

Pete

Ok ok guys! You win! You sold me on this! :mrgreen:

I might even stamp each with an "R" and a "J".....why not!? 8)

I'm on it!

Isaac is waiting to play....with the "other" thing I'm making...in between letting coats harden! :wink:

Jimi

PS....GEEEEEE LOUISE! A whole page on blinking screws!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

How do you sharpen your screws?

That should be good for 10+ pages.

Pete

Coat number 6....

20140717_165955.jpg

The finish is building nicely....

20140717_170030.jpg

These two coats need to harden properly now...24 hours so I'm off to visit Dad for his birthday....

More later and perhaps some bolt making? :wink:

Jimi

Racers":tua8hvru said:
Shiny shiny shiny,can't look away.......

Pete

The level of shiny that can be achieved (yes this picture is upside down and then the picture reversed! 8) )

blackbodyreflectionupsidedownmirror1JPG.jpg

This took MUCH longer than a little plane...as the entire back had to be kept flat to work as a "piano" finish.

I reckon about another 20 coats should do it...but the key is to sand it back to flat each time...and carry on until all the scratches and aberrations are removed....

I can then decide if I want to keep it high gloss or tone it down with a selected level of Micro-Mesh.

The plane is a burr as was this guitar...

layingdownblackbinding1.jpg

See it is quite matt...no finish on it yet but sanded fairly flat...there were a huge number of burr voids on this veneer.

This is after 30 coats of Tru-Oil...

body20pc.jpg

....cut back to about 3200M to give a silk finish.

You can choose whatever level of gloss you want as long as you go beyond the chosen level then cut back.

Cheers

Jimi

Lovely Jimi.

I once stained black and varnished a piece of chipboard cutting back between coats until it looked like black granite, varnish is somewhat thicker.

Pete

jimi43":2k7acu1q said:

(chuckle) you have to feel sorry for acoustic guitar makers. They have to use
wonderful "tonewoods" which are perfectly uniform in grain, and vibrate nicely.

That burr would be unusable to them. No strength or resonance at all.

But, gosh darn, it's pretty!

BugBear

Chilean Burr Birch if my memory serves me correctly BB....I think I still have a few leaves tucked away somewhere...must make use of them!

I kept it back because I wanted to veneer the headstock...

neckscompared1.jpg

....but then I dithered and I am still to decide.

I tried nitro on the front first and for some reason it blushed...whatever I did..somehow water got into it. Tru-Oil was the only recourse but it does tend to yellow the wood...as you can see. On a guitar...this can be a good thing though.

Must finish it soon...it's been a while!

Jimi

Yes...and OSB guitar...mmmm...probably only good for shreddin'!! :mrgreen:

Ok...back to the regular programming....machine screws...

20140718_123902.jpg

I think I may need more target practice!!!! :oops:

I did try the "hit the stamp through paper" technique which was being talked about by Mrs Carter at Richard Arnold's event...you hit the stamp onto the metal through a piece of paper and it stops it slipping. The "R" was done this way and the "J"....not.

Unfortunately...I had to guess where the tip of the stamp should be as I couldn't see through the paper!! (homer)

Am I doing something blindingly obviously wrong then? How on earth do you do it through paper and see what you're doing?

Intrigued! #-o

Coats 4,5,6 were hard so they were cut back and coat #7 done...with the help of ALFIE!

20140718_134135.jpg

Fortunately, even in this weather, he's not a shedding dog...! :mrgreen:

The figuring is really starting to jump now and the flowering is looking sublime...

20140718_134051.jpg

Back to bolt making in the sun!

Jimi

could you use baking parchment? (I dont know whether you can get tracing paper these days)

marcros":typon566 said:
could you use baking parchment? (I dont know whether you can get tracing paper these days)

DOH!! Bloody obvious when you think about it! (homer)

Thanks mate! I have a pad of tracing paper somewhere in my art box I think!

Cheers!!!

Jimi

Latest posts

Back