The SU Challenge - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Here's the place to post your plane/any-other-tool-you-feel-appropriate models.

This is mine, so far. It's a lot harder than I had anticipated, but all this has been done entirely in SU. I got to the point when I was ready to cheat and do the curves in AutoCad, but I persevered and it has come out OK.

casting.jpg

Steve, you swine (said Nick with a whine), I was going to do that one! [-(

Looking good though. :)

Steve Maskery":f6983zcl said:
John,
It's a Vertitas Low Angle Jack.
Or at least it will be, in the fullness of time.

Cheers
Steve

Will you be taking pics of the real jack to use as textures? It will make the model look almost photo like then.

Nick, still think i'm missing something. No mention of a challenge in that topic :?

Thanks. Steve, does these have to be done in SU only? Do we have a closing date?

Andy

Steve, you're doing a right good job of that plane. You're really making good progress with SU.

Shady, that's a nice rendering. I like the presentation with the 2D drawings included. In what program did you render the drawing?

Dave - it's a spoof... It's actually Karl Holtey's website picture of his '98'... Autocad, I think...

My efforts look more like this at the moment... :D

crapplane.jpg

Nice one Steve. Just so you don't feel you're out in the cold, here's my effort so far:

60_5.jpg

It is flippin' hard - and I'm realising quickly that you need to decide early on the level of accuracy you want to achieve. I don't know how I'd get the front to all merge together if you know what I mean.

Anyhow still got loads left to do ...

Cheers

Gidon

LyNx":2egq3hde said:
Thanks. Steve, does these have to be done in SU only? Do we have a closing date?

Andy

Hi Andy,
Sorry, missed this one, been away for a couple of days wasting my time.

Closing date? Cor, we're not that organized! This is just a bit of fun, if something this frustrating can be called fun.

I don't see any reason why you may not model it in anything you like, really. It's just that with all the recent excitement about getting SU for free, and people wanting to learn how to use it, it seemed like a good idea to have this sort of challenge.

I've been using SU for a year or so, so I know the basics pretty well, but this is more complex than anythig I've modelled to date. As you say, much depends on the level of sophistication you wish to achieve.

So what are you modelling then, and what are you using?
Cheers
Steve

Steve

Not sure what to model as i only have a few records 4 1/2 & 5, a Norris and an apron plane. The Norris would be a nice one i think.

I will be using Autocad and 3ds MAX as i don't want to start learning another system.

Andy

Looking good Shady!
Some more progress on my 60 1/2 block plane:
60_5_4.jpg

Now to the hardest bit - the lever cap - not sure how to do this but will give it ago.
I have found that scaling trick Dave pointed me to invaluable - trying to cut that small screwdriver slot in the screw I just couldn't get to work properly using intersect with model - until I scaled up by 20.
I find the hardest thing in sketchup is moving bits and pieces to line them up where you want. Is there a way to line up centres of components - for example lining up the blade adjuster knob onto the threaded bolt?
Cheers
Gidon

Latest posts

Back