The problem of woodwork waste.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noel":3e2nya3m said:
You make a post, lay out your opinion and don't want discussion? Errr, you did start a discussion.

In case you hadn't noticed this is a forum, an online facility for discussion, conversation and airing of opinions. :)
Even a discussion about not discussing a discussion is a discussion. :)

Noel,

Just so you understand…..

I DO NOT WISH TO DISCUSS THE GREENHOUSE GAS QUESTION.

My post was concerned with local authority policies on waste from woodworking. The only reason I mentioned carbon was to request that aggravating curmudgeons like Jacob would not jump on the bandwagon. Maybe, I should have anticipated...?

Yet, at the same time, I don’t see why I should be told by you, or anyone else, what was in my mind when I first posted. Especially when you have the wrong end of the wooden spoon. Put on your thinking hread, and read my post again. As for your definition of a discussion, The mind boggles.

Happy now?

Well I have to say that here in Salisbury the bin boys are great. If I leave the grey landfill wheelie bin chocablock with wood offcuts, sawdust and shavings (bagged up) it just goes straight into the back of the wagon, they don't even lift the lid to have a look inside. The other day, I emptied the water butt in the 'shop (wot's used for p/t shaving collection from the dx system) which resulted in three black bin liners full up with shavings, all duly hoiked into the back of the cart without a second glance, together with the contents of the wheelie bin - Rob

Benchwayze":1pq5y5yt said:
Noel,

My post was concerned with local authority policies on waste from woodworking. The only reason I mentioned carbon was to request that aggravating curmudgeons like Jacob would not jump on the bandwagon. Maybe, I should have anticipated...?

Yet, at the same time, I don’t see why I should be told by you, or anyone else, what was in my mind when I first posted. Especially when you have the wrong end of the wooden spoon. Put on your thinking hread, and read my post again. As for your definition of a discussion, The mind boggles.

Happy now?

I think Noels point was "if you don't want to discuss it don't, but it's an open forum for discussion, so don't get all moody if others discuss it, just don't get your handbag out when they do.

images

Our bin men in Fife are pretty good and I dont think inspect the bins before they empty them. At my business premises I dont have a bin as all my waste goes into the woodburning stove or is saved for the winter. The only exception to this is the piles of sawdust if I have a big job on in the summer time. Then I bag it up and take to our local recycling centre. No one has ever stopped me from emptying the bags into the green skips for compost and sometimes the guys even gime me a hand! The crazy thing is that a licence to dump general business is about £350 a year and the green waste licence is about £700. I cant understand this as the green waste is the best kind of waste and isnt landfilled.
I hope get a 4 sided planer later on in the year but will possibly need to get a briquetting machine as well. At 10k plus they are a bit pricey but as a woodburing stove is going to be installed in my house in the summer this would be handy instead of using bags of sawdust.

As a wee aside our local recycling staff who know I am a woodworker, sometimes give me tools that people want to dump. A couple of years ago I was given 2 coopers adzes, a croz and a bung hammer, all in good order and fully usable. My mate was given a quite good wood turning lathe last year. I just have to remember to give them a couple of packets of chocolate biscuits the next time I am there.

Mike

doctor Bob":3cy8yavz said:
Benchwayze":3cy8yavz said:
Noel,

Happy now?

I think Noels point was "if you don't want to discuss it don't, but it's an open forum for discussion, so don't get all moody if others discuss it, just don't get your handbag out when they do.

images

I am usually slow to get upset, but I'll say it how I see it, and without childish references to handbags.

Jacob was being his usual, provocative self.
Noel was talking nonsense with his 'definition of a discussion', and as you seem to agree with that smart-alec summation, you also are talking nonsense; and being obnoxious, and insulting into the bargain.

Now you might understand why I asked that no one bring up Carbon Dioxide; because I am fully aware, stirrers can't resist temptation.
Can they? :-"

Benchwayze":1ygeays5 said:
Moi? As if!! :shock:
Now you might understand why I asked that no one bring up Carbon Dioxide; ....
Nobody did until you did! And you've just mentioned it again!!

I put bits of wood and dust in the black bin without issue.

The only time the bin men ever open the lid is when I taped it down with gaffa tape when it was really windy. The bin went up on the lift, was tilted, didn't open and then came down again still full up.

I had to laugh a little bit :mrgreen:

I am usually slow to get upset, but I'll say it how I see it, and without childish references to handbags.

Noel was talking nonsense with his 'definition of a discussion', and as you seem to agree with that smart-alec summation, you also are talking nonsense; and being obnoxious, and insulting into the bargain.

Now you might understand why I asked that no one bring up Carbon Dioxide; because I am fully aware, stirrers can't resist temptation.
Can they? :-"

How very dare you

HowVeryDareYou.jpg

Lighten up a bit tiger, I'm out of this discussion on carbon monoxide, I don't even know why you brought the subject up :lol:

Did someone mention Carbon dioxide? If there's anything you need to know don't hesitate to ask.

I tell you what I absolutely refuse to discuss and that's the F1 fiasco and that ghastly Ecclestone insect. :roll:
Please - nobody say a word.

when recycling first started I was very anti as it was just too much hassle to adhere to the various guidelines. But over the last few years on my visits to the tip (now known as the recycling centre) I am amazed to see just how much waste that we take for granted can be just chucked into a hole in the ground but is now recycled and I think this is great. Massive mounds of glass jars and bottles would all have been buried years ago and thats just one example. With regard to wood waste, perhaps that can be just chucked into the ground as it will degrade unlike plastic and glass but unless it is sneaked in under the guise of normal domestic useage its difficult for this to happen. The trouble with wood waste, where do you draw the line as between home hobbyist, micro business and proper business etc. One things for sure, getting rid of waste is an expensive business these days! Luckily for me I'm able to burn it discreetly! For hobby people I would say best bet is chuck a bit into the wheelie bin and in the neighbours bin as well plus a few bin bags full down the tip now and then. Trouble is, with our tip, they are almost at the stage of opening bags and boxes as you take them out of the car such is their enthusiam to recycle properly.....

Jacob":3raz7da3 said:
I tell you what I absolutely refuse to discuss and that's the F1 fiasco and that ghastly Ecclestone insect. :roll:
Please - nobody say a word.

Damn - that record sounds broken again, strange it always seems to be the same "singer" :? - We're all doomed I tell you - doomed

Bob

Didn't say A word honest (several don't count!)

Get stuck in there tomorrow Jenson and Louis, hope you kick Vettels ass :lol:

Grrrr, the bin men won't even collect anything from us as the track to the house is too long. It takes quite a while to wheel three bins a mile down a bumpy farm track by hand, so I just stick it in the trailer and take it to the tip. But I'm only allowed to go 12 times a year and only with a small trailer!

Just to add, I have several bags which contain ever diminishing sized pieces of timber. The last bag then is used as kindling for our occasional fires. The shavings and general dust from turning I bag up and take from time to time to our local council tip, run as an outsource of course, where, with the approval of operators, I put it in the 'Green Waste' section. Green waste on this scale is rotted down much quicker than in your garden due to the volume which creates a higher temperature.

Our council have strict rules on re-cycling so it is best not to cross them!

Phil

Benchwayze":3h6utdlg said:
Noel":3h6utdlg said:
You make a post, lay out your opinion and don't want discussion? Errr, you did start a discussion.

In case you hadn't noticed this is a forum, an online facility for discussion, conversation and airing of opinions. :)

Noel,

Happy now?

Just so you understand- telling me or indeed anyone else on this site what they should and shouldn't discuss doesn't work and never will. I guarantee that. I haven't a clue what you're going on about regarding anybody telling you what's on your mind, why would anybody do that? If you don't want to discuss a particular aspect then stop harping on about not wanting to discuss it and stop personally insulting other members. If others decide to reply or address your original post in a manner that is not to your liking, well, that's the way forums tend to work. And if your mind "boggles" with the simple concept of how a forum works, well, there's not much anybody can do about that :)

And Carbon Dioxide does not have a hyphen in it.

Hope you have a better day today.....

Eh getting back to waste, I was on light duties (after a work accident in the fire brigade) and had to take a load of rubbish to our local tip, I was stopped and told by the tip manager that I had to have a permit as the vehicle I was using was a pick up ( the station van with Northumberland Fire & Rescue written along the side) I explained it was fire station rubbish but was still refused entry even though I told him we are employed and paid by the same authority!
My station manager was not best pleased when I returned so we placed all the rubbish in the back of his car (lease car from Northumberland County Council) and I returned to the tip where the tip manager welcomed me with open arms so to speak and helped me sort the rubbish into the various containers.
He said rules are rules and hoped I understood, I just gave him a lovely smile.
The station manager asked if the fire brigade could apply for a licence to take rubbish to the tip, I can't post the reply he was given because it will contain a lot of pineapple,pineapple, pineapple,etc etc etc.

Stew

Noel":1amddjz3 said:
Benchwayze":1amddjz3 said:
Noel":1amddjz3 said:

Noel,

Happy now?

Just so you understand- telling me or indeed anyone else on this site what they should and shouldn't discuss doesn't work and never will. I guarantee that. I haven't a clue what you're going on about regarding anybody telling you what's on your mind, why would anybody do that? If you don't want to discuss a particular aspect then stop harping on about not wanting to discuss it and stop personally insulting other members. If others decide to reply or address your original post in a manner that is not to your liking, well, that's the way forums tend to work. And if your mind "boggles" with the simple concept of how a forum works, well, there's not much anybody can do about that :)

And Carbon Dioxide does not have a hyphen in it.

Hope you have a better day today.....

Noel,

I WAS having a better day; until you regurgitated this nonsense.

Still, as you have:

1) My mind boggled at your description of a DISCUSSION, NOT at the way the forum is run.

2) Thank you for the spelling lesson, I wasn't sure, and couldn't be bothered to check. Are there going to be questions on this at sometime? :roll:

3) As for me insulting members: If someone deliberately posts mickey-taking messages, complete with certain 'smiley faces' then although it's their prerogative, they are stirring. I told them so. If they feel insulted then, as you have just pointed out, it comes with the territory. HARD LUCK! They shouldn't provoke a 'Tiger' (Not my word choice. Someone else's!)

I am not responding any further on this. So please ship your oars, and consider this post my last on this particular thread.

If you want the last word Noel, then be my guest, and post again; I shan't bother to respond.

Now I will go and have the rest of my weekend, hopefully in enjoyment.

Regards
John

Just don't forget this Tiger:

Just so you understand- telling me or indeed anyone else on this site what they should and shouldn't discuss doesn't work and never will. I guarantee that.

Just to confirm, I didn't feel insulted, skin like a rhino me.
Although Jason on the other side, once drove past my workshop and never waved, broke my heart.

Noel":3umc8ln0 said:
Just don't forget this Tiger:

Just so you understand- telling me or indeed anyone else on this site what they should and shouldn't discuss doesn't work and never will. I guarantee that. (REALLY?)

In the vernacular, tell you what Noel,

You rip into me for defending myself against two mickey-takers; one of them a known trouble-maker.
You defend them, and you claim I insulted them. Now you are insulting me (Tiger) That was someone else's expression not mine. Pardon me for borrowing it.
As if all that isn't enough you lay the blame for the whole fiasco at my door, accuse me of insulting them, and make veiled threats.
If that's your judgement, then so be it, but it displays weak powers of discernment.

The 'scuttlebutt' I hear must be true then. All I can do is wonder how many more people you have 'eased' out of the picture.

I will say farewell to all my friends here. It's been nice knowing most of you and I wish you all the best of luck.
I'll get back to my shop, and my own way of working.

I will leave you with Noel, waving his big stick.
Careful you don't put out your own eye in the process Noel.
Cheerio all.

Back