Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

The problem of woodwork waste.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Benchwayze

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
9,294
Reaction score
50
Location
West Muddylands
In another thread, Rob (woodbloke) quite rightly, says he likes to clean up everyday, and get the stuff in the bin, redy for the bin-men to cart it all away.

Fair enough Rob,

But it's not that simple in Walsall. They inspect the bins (Four different colours at the latest count.) and they won't cart away the kind of rubbish that woodwork generates. Ergo, I had to buy two large plastic bins, and a roll of bin- liners. One bin for dust and shavings, one bin for offcuts. (Sometimes a friend burns these in his wood-burner!) I have to keep these bins outside,around my property until there's enough to make a trip to the Council tip worthwhile. It's called recycling.

I call it penny-pinching cut backs, from a Council that expects us to do its job, after having charged us for the privilege. All in the name of the carbon myth. It infuriates me, but I can't do anything about it. Also, they are thinking of charging £1.00 per car to go into the tip! This is on top of swingeing Council Taxes and of course petrol money to make the journey.

And if there is anything in this carbon malarkey, which I doubt, then I am being forced to add to it, with an unwanted car journey. Madness.

Not getting what we paid for are we? :twisted:

Anyone else have problems with waste disposal?

PS.. I am NOT getting into a debate about carbon. I respect the opinions of others, but I don't believe that carbon is causing global warming. IMO if it was, we would all be toast by now. 8)
 

DIY Stew

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2009
Messages
613
Reaction score
0
Location
Northumberland
John

My 'shavings' go to friends who have guinea pigs and rats for pets, off cuts I keep for chiminea and sawdust I bag up and take to the tip as some of it is from MDF. I presume the stuff you take to the tip is used in landfill, that being the case do you have a bin for landfill rubbish only? if you do then what is the problem you putting wood rubbish in there.

I had a letter from our council threatening to remove our recycle bin at a property I rent out because it contained broken glass, at the time the property was empty so it wasn't the bin from our property, I emailed them and warned if the bin was removed I would report the matter to the police as theft, I had to purchase a replacement when the original bin was stolen, I got an apology something our council doesn't do very often.

Seems to me councils are a law unto themselves.

Stew
 

studders

Established Member
Joined
23 Mar 2009
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
0
Location
Petts Wood, Kent
DIY Stew":29zcgjt5 said:
........ I emailed them and warned if the bin was removed I would report the matter to the police as theft, I had to purchase a replacement when the original bin was stolen, I got an apology something our council doesn't do very often.

Seems to me councils are a law unto themselves.

Stew
Our Binmen are pretty good and take almost anything except 'obvious' Garden waste.
The Council however....... pen pushing plonkers.
We all got a warning letter stating that we would be fined if any rubbish left in Black bags 'spilled over' on to public areas? The letter insisted ALL rubbish be left in the Bins and Re-cycling boxes provided and NOT in black bags; that's fair enough and, as I wrote back to say, I will do exactly that..... just as soon as I receive said bins and boxes. We get no re-cycling collection and have received no boxes for it and I refuse to pay £70 for a wheelie bin that will disappear within hours. On top of that all our rubbish is collected from the service road at the rear so any rubbish finding its way on to public areas is unlikely to have come from here.
 

Jacob

Established Member
Joined
7 Jul 2010
Messages
16,119
Reaction score
3
Location
Derbyshire
Benchwayze":3l3ut9jh said:
........... I don't believe that carbon is causing global warming.
Quite right.It's not carbon it's carbon dioxide
IMO if it was, we would all be toast by now. 8)
We may well be in the end. But well before that we would expect climate change which could disrupt our lives in many ways - as it is doing around the globe; it's already happening.
 

Benchwayze

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
9,294
Reaction score
50
Location
West Muddylands
Stew,
I used to dispose of planer chippings and bench-plane shavings to my daughter for her guineas, but she said they started scratching. The local pet shop wasn't interested unless it was sterilised and bagged up in proper, labelled sealed bags!

I do use MDF for cheap jobs yes, so that goes into a waste bin for the tip.

Our bin-men are instructed to examine waste on a random basis. A few months ago, I put a bag of sweepings (sawdust, shavings and bits of cardboard etc.) in the bin. The bag was taken out of the bin and left on the pavement. When I complained, I was told the bin-man considered it as industrial waste. They wouldn't listen to my explanation I was just a hobbyist. I was surprised they didn't ask me to register my home as a business!

My sweepings of course are likely to contain old screws and so on, although I do use a magnet to find these. I keep old useless screws and such in ice-cream containers. When they fill up I leave them out for the scrappies to take

In general I think Walsall MBC is a mix of self-serving, power mad, Merchant Bankers. (Just my opinion you understand. I do vote, but get the feeling I am wasting my time!) :?
 

Benchwayze

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
9,294
Reaction score
50
Location
West Muddylands
Jacob":1s4ochmw said:
Benchwayze":1s4ochmw said:
........... I don't believe that carbon is causing global warming.
Quite right.It's not carbon it's carbon dioxide
IMO if it was, we would all be toast by now. 8)
We may well be in the end. But well before that we would expect climate change which could disrupt our lives in many ways - as it is doing around the globe; it's already happening.
Jacob, :roll:

You know what I meant. and like I said. NO DISCUSSION. So please leave it out.
Fin!
 

Harbo

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2006
Messages
5,548
Reaction score
0
Location
Hampshire
Small amounts of stuff I put in our "waste" wheely bin. It gets incinerated.
They won't accept large amount of shavings in our green waste bag.
The rest I try to compost mixed with other garden waste, sometimes spread on the garden ( but not regularly as it can cause problems) or take it in bags to the recycling centre.

Rod
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,406
Reaction score
164
Location
Northumberland
Benchwayze":2euknyyn said:
You know what I meant. and like I said. NO DISCUSSION. So please leave it out.
Fin!
:lol: :lol: Yeah right........ and pigs do fly :lol: :lol:
 

henton49er

Established Member
Joined
16 Sep 2010
Messages
1,234
Reaction score
0
Location
Beautiful, but wet, Mid-Wales
We have a small business that breeds worms (for fishing and for compost making). The worms live on a diet of horse manure (from our four Shetland ponies) mixed in a random way with shavings and dust from my woodturning shed. I keep any obviously toxic shavings etc (laburnum, yew etc) out of the stuff to go to the worms, but they do not mind the odd bit of ply, MDF, old screws etc. If it rots down, they eat it, if it doesn't, they ignore it. The end product is not only worms to sell to local fishermen and for garden compost bins, but also the resultant castings are mixed with peat or coir as garden compost (much better than garden centre stuff and cheaper). If I get too much in the way of shavings, they rot down quite quickly on a manure heap.

Mike.
 

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,289
Reaction score
0
Location
Nottingham, UK
I used to dump shavings in the garden but after a nice pile of many 100's of liters I stopped. The clean shavings gets bagged and given to people with pets. I have started to burn the mixed shavings and plan to use them to cook with in a smoker when I get round to building it. All the wood waste gets given to people with wood burning fires and we use it for the fire pit and BBQ. Small amounts of shavings get bagged up and put in our general waste bin. If in a sealed bag I can't see how they would know, our bin men are fussy. The council wanted to charge me £7.50 per week for a commercial bin but I would only put about 1 black back in there a month so I politely said pipper off.
 

Harbo

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2006
Messages
5,548
Reaction score
0
Location
Hampshire
I'd forgotten about my small worm farm - thanks Mike. :)
I can get rid some of my stuff there.
I often put shredded paper which the Council won't accept for recycling and will now use some shavings.

Rod
 

Benchwayze

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
9,294
Reaction score
50
Location
West Muddylands
Rod,
I was told that wood chippings take much longer to break down in the soil than garden waste and green leaf matter. It's probably correct, but I no longer garden to the extent that I need much compost any more, so I dug in what I had accumulated, and now just tend the shrubs and mow the lawns. If I want mulch, I buy it. All waste I used to compost, now goes into the brown bin here, for composting by the Council. Who sell the resultant compost of course! Onto a winner aren't they?

Lons, :lol: :lol:

I don't mind Jacob's two-penn'orth, so much, but I expressly said in my OP that I wasn't going to enter into discussion on the 'carbon-myth'.

OK; to be pedantic I should have said Carbon-Dioxide, (I believe it's hyphenated) but for the same pedantic reason I should have said, I respect others' rights to an opinion, rather than respecting their opinions!. If I don't agree with them how can I respect their sentiment?

I am sticking to Woodworking matters in future. :mrgreen:

John :wink:

I am off to the sawmill! :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,406
Reaction score
164
Location
Northumberland
I give away useful firewood to several older couples in the village and have a large bonfire a couple of times a year with the rest mixed with the large volume of cuttings produced from my hawthorn hedges., one around Guy Fawkes, I just ensure the wind is in the right direction not to cause problems.
The Council certainly wouldn't be happy about it but I don't burn anything abnoxious and haven't had a complaint to date.

Some council members act like little hitlers though: :roll:

When I bought my field 18 years ago they specifically said I wasn't allowed to plant hedges around the boundary and " several members of staff drive past to work and will be watching to ensure compliance".
I told them to get stuffed and watch all they liked, I then applied for and got a grant from the countryside commission towards fence and hedging costs and took great pleasure in shoving it in front of the respective noses along with a threat that I would give the story to a mate who worked for the local newspapers - not another word said. :lol:

I wish I hadn't plated them now - takes me 2 days to cut the bloody things. #-o

Bob
 

Benchwayze

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
9,294
Reaction score
50
Location
West Muddylands
Lons":34fduvth said:
I give away useful firewood to several older couples in the village and have a large bonfire a couple of times a year with the rest mixed with the large volume of cuttings produced from my hawthorn hedges., one around Guy Fawkes, I just ensure the wind is in the right direction not to cause problems.
The Council certainly wouldn't be happy about it but I don't burn anything abnoxious and haven't had a complaint to date.

Some council members act like little hitlers though: :roll:

When I bought my field 18 years ago they specifically said I wasn't allowed to plant hedges around the boundary and " several members of staff drive past to work and will be watching to ensure compliance".
I told them to get stuffed and watch all they liked, I then applied for and got a grant from the countryside commission towards fence and hedging costs and took great pleasure in shoving it in front of the respective noses along with a threat that I would give the story to a mate who worked for the local newspapers - not another word said. :lol:

I wish I hadn't plated them now - takes me 2 days to cut the bloody things. #-o

Bob
=D> =D> =D>
Now I really AM OFF to the sawmill!

TTFN! :D
 

Jacob

Established Member
Joined
7 Jul 2010
Messages
16,119
Reaction score
3
Location
Derbyshire
Benchwayze":mszsyej7 said:
......
I don't mind Jacob's two-penn'orth, so much, but I expressly said in my OP that I wasn't going to enter into discussion on the 'carbon-myth'.......
But if you didn't want a discussion you shouldn't have started one! It's not a myth by the way, it's well established and fairly simple science, not difficult to understand.

Best thing with woodwaste is to burn it for heating. I burn everything, including mdf, old window frames, you name it. It saves a fortune, saves landfill, and reduces fossil fuel CO2 generation.
Just lit the stove with some old softwood building timbers. Toasty warm in no time, and FREE!!
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,406
Reaction score
164
Location
Northumberland
Jacob":1tg1hkjt said:
Benchwayze":1tg1hkjt said:
......
Best thing with woodwaste is to burn it for heating. I burn everything, including mdf, old window frames, you name it. It saves a fortune, saves landfill, and reduces fossil fuel CO2 generation.
Just lit the stove with some old softwood building timbers. Toasty warm in no time, and FREE!!
Can't agree with that Jacob. I haven't research it but if really concerned about emissions then maybe you shouldn't be burning old (probably painted) frames and surely not MDF? :roll:

I admit that I burn those as well - but then I'm not especially active in condemming the practice or fully convinced by the green arguments given, many of which I consider attempted justification for even more taxation.

Bet my bonfire is bigger than yours :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob

ps logging off now - off to produce some more wood waste (hammer)
 

Benchwayze

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
9,294
Reaction score
50
Location
West Muddylands
Jacob,

I didn't start a discussion. I said I didn't want one. I'm not having one.
On this subject your posts will fall on 'blind-eyes', so to speak. If you wish to waste your time trying to draw me further, then be my guest.

Take care Jacob. :)
 

Jacob

Established Member
Joined
7 Jul 2010
Messages
16,119
Reaction score
3
Location
Derbyshire
Benchwayze":2ff5co35 said:
Jacob,

I didn't start a discussion.....
Yes you did in your first post. :roll: :lol:

Burning wood is carbon neutral in that you merely release back to the environment the CO2 (and the solar energy) which was absorbed during the growth of the wood. So as long as replacement trees are growing, burning wood is good and reduces (bad) fossil fuel use.
Using (nor burning) wood is carbon negative and even better. CO2 in the wood was taken from the atmosphere and is locked away in the form of furniture, joinery etc.
Not sure about the emissions from mdf, paint etc so they may just as well go up my chimney as end in landfill. In fact the heavy metal component ends in the ash tray and goes to landfill anyway. Lead paint produces heavy ash!
 

Noel

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
7 Aug 2003
Messages
6,261
Reaction score
96
Benchwayze":11byluby said:
Jacob,

I didn't start a discussion. I said I didn't want one. I'm not having one.
On this subject your posts will fall on 'blind-eyes', so to speak. If you wish to waste your time trying to draw me further, then be my guest.

Take care Jacob. :)
You make a post, lay out your opinion and don't want discussion? Errr, you did start a discussion.

In case you hadn't noticed this is a forum, an online facility for discussion, conversation and airing of opinions. :)
Even a discussion about not discussing a discussion is a discussion. :)
 

doctor Bob

Established Member
Joined
22 Jun 2011
Messages
3,702
Reaction score
269
Location
Matching Green
Noel":10dxltnk said:
In case you hadn't noticed this is a forum, an online facility for discussion, conversation and airing of opinions. :)
Even a discussion about not discussing a discussion is a discussion. :)
Yes, exactly, even me discussing Noels comment about "even a discussion about not discussing a discussion is a discussion" creates more discussion about whether discussion on the discussion premeditates a discussion. :lol:
 
Top