The moon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flag was also planted upright, and therefore edge-on to us, making resolution even harder.

You have taken no account of the wind which will either make it flutter - or perhaps even collapse in a storm effectively becoming stars and stripes astro-turf easily identifiable.

Maybe it is desperation, rather than fix and look after the lovely blue/green planet you live on get somewhere else ready for when the Earth becomes a toxic version of the moon at which point the moon becomes desirable. A much better use for the moon would be to take all the nuclear and radioactive material including everyones stockpiles of weapons and dump them there which would be a huge step towards cleaning up the planet.
Turn the moon into a toxic dump - you have to be kidding !!!!
If you are not kidding, do you really advocate fu.king the moon to "fix" the earth ?
That would truely be sick logic.
I feel sorry for anyone that could even suggest this.

Last edited:
A question for the Pink Floyd listeners. The quietly spoken "there really is no dark side" etc. is at the very end of the vinyl album - which is the version I have - after a period of silence and often missed if your deck has an auto arm lift. Is it there on the new-fangled CD version or even newer-fangled digital versions? Maybe modern listeners are missing out on vital information.

Have you seen the new book, Apollo Remastered Andy Saunders spent 10 years examining, scanning and enhancing the pictures taken on the mission. He has managed to squeeze an amazing amount of extra detail from the original negatives.
Thanks for the info just ordered it. Much as I hate Amazon it's £9 cheaper with them.

They are watching us on a big computer screen, and it helps with the rateings as wars do for those slow to catch on. Little green men

Short answer... you'd need a telescope with something around a 100 meter diameter to have any chance of making out details that small at that distance: https://skyandtelescope.org/astrono...s-answers/can-you-see-astronauts-on-the-moon/

There's also the problem of "seeing". With larger telescopes (capable of resolving smaller detail at distance) atmospheric distortion becomes more of a factor; so as the article above notes, such a (huge) scope would also have to be in space.
It was meant as a joke , just to stir up more! :ROFLMAO:

Maybe it is desperation, rather than fix and look after the lovely blue/green planet you live on get somewhere else ready for when the Earth becomes a toxic version of the moon at which point the moon becomes desirable. A much better use for the moon would be to take all the nuclear and radioactive material including everyones stockpiles of weapons and dump them there which would be a huge step towards cleaning up the planet.

If you're going to spend the trillions of dollars it would cost to build an orbital rail gun, being about the cheapest reusable option, you'd be better off aiming it at the sun, seeing as it's already a nuclear fusion reactor, it would actually appreciate the extra fuel.

Still extremely shortsighted though.

You know that stuff that gets put on roofs - you know the grey stuff used as flashing to keep the rain out - generally referred to as "lead" - do you know what it actually is?

Most people don't.

I didn't google this I already knew it.

Another name for lead would very accurately be...... Depleted URANIUM.

Uranium, along with two (three?) other isotopes has a very interesting half life decay path and changes into different elements on the way to losing it's radioactive properties - with the final end result after a very, very, very, very long time is... lead.

There's a reason it has the highest atomic number of the non radioactive elements, because it used to be one of them.

Master Oaks, my physics teacher would be proud :) I don't remember much but that always stuck in my head.

Someone intelligent in the future will learn to either how to do this quicker or deal with the stockpiles of radiactive material and make it "useful" again, and seeing as the earth has only a limited and quite small supply, it would be quite short sighted to fire it off someplace we can't get at easily again, or at all.

Sure dealing with it is a problem for US and will continue to be for a while yet, but the future will be quite happy to have access to it for other technological uses.

You know that stuff that gets put on roofs - you know the grey stuff used as flashing to keep the rain out - generally referred to as "lead" - do you know what it actually is?

Most people don't.

I didn't google this I already knew it.

Another name for lead would very accurately be...... Depleted URANIUM.

Lead (atomic number 82) is NOT depleted uranium (atomic number 92). Natural uranium becomes "depleted" through the fission process when it loses the majority of its isotope U-235. Depleted uranium is still uranium. The process for the most common form of uranium, U-238, to become stable lead, Pb-206, requires over a dozen alpha and beta particle decay phases and takes over 4.5 Billion years to complete.

Lead (atomic number 82) is NOT depleted uranium (atomic number 92). Natural uranium becomes "depleted" through the fission process when it loses the majority of its isotope U-235. Depleted uranium is still uranium. The process for the most common form of uranium, U-238, to become stable lead, Pb-206, requires over a dozen alpha and beta particle decay phases and takes over 4.5 Billion years to complete.
Thank god for some real information.
As part of my degree in physical chemistry - my major was nuclear chemistry.
Open your eyes, look and learn.
Just be careful who you learn from.

I'm a non believer. Why haven't there been photos of the Stars & Stripes taken from Earth?:dunno:
Don't need to - proof already exists.

https://www.eicsolutions.com/lunar-... ranging equipment,on the moon by astronauts.
This is real, a laser pinging off a reflector left on the moon, not by a remote rover but a human astronaut.

There's also the moon rocks.

Yes yes a person who knows a little of the subject might say that they are made largely of the same regolith as the earth, and you'd be right, because the moon and the earth collided and shared matter before coalescing again as whole oblate spheres.

Just one small...tiny incy winsy problem. The moon rocks (mostly)** don't have any magnetic flux.

Every rock on earth and I do mean every single one, has an infitessimally small magnetic signature that is imbued into the rock from the magnetosphere when it was formed that is actually traceable like a GPS - because we know so much about the magnetoshpere surrounding and PENETRATING the earth right to the core, it's shape, size and intensity at any given point on earth, that a rock core sample taken from Iceland will have a DIFFERENT magnetic signature to one taken from Nepal.

This is a fact.

The majority of the moon rocks tested for this same signature have been found to have ZERO magnetic flux because they were never subjected to a magnetic field during formation or any time since.

This is proven.

** now here's where the information can get a little confusing - SOME moon rocks do have a magnetic signature, and theories differ as to why, but even then the magnetic signature cannot be assigned a GPS from earth

The bottom line is this, if the moon rocks are on earth and yet they are demonstarably not "OF EARTH" - where exactly did they come from? The only other possible answer than "the moon" is a meteorite, except you're also forgeting that most meteorites than manage to even make it to the ground are mostly metal and crystals, with a very different composition to the regolith found on earth and the moon.

The simple process of elimination gives a highly credible hypothesis that if they have the same regloithic composition as earth, but not the same magnetic signature, the only other object that shares the regolithic composition and has no magnetosphere of it's own is...

the moon.

Sic probatum est.

Back