the midlands woodworking show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. As you live fairly close there is no reason why you should not go, the weather promises to be nice (it's indoors) I'll be on the Lincs Woodturners Stand.

Andy

There were a few of us there today. Nice little show. Not huge, no, but what was there was worth the space. I bought a few things - Incra RT insert plate and Xtreme Xtension from Peter Sefton, Freud Dado set from, I think, Sawpoint. Unfortunately the latter, whilst a good price, is 30mm bore, so I've got to find 7 reducers to 5/8". Anyone got a box of them under the bench?

The best bit, though, was meeting up with a few people. I went with Racers and saw Lurker, Noggsy, Lofty, Newbie_Neil and Dave from the forum, Colin Hickman and his incredible carved walking sticks, Terry on the Chestnut stand, Nick on the Jet and one or two others who seemed to know me but I'm afraid I didn't catch their names.

I very nearly bought an axe, but the truth is that I know nothing about axes and I don't really know what I want. I think I need to start getting up early on a Sunday and finding a busy field.

Very nice day out.
S

I was thinking of going tomorrow, about an hour and half drive, so was wondering if the guys selling had many/any bargains on or was it very much like most of their websites, price wise..not looking for anything in particular but always on the the lookout for a deal or two :D

We had a busy day it was good to have a catch up with Steve Maskery and the plans for your new workshop look very good. Racers bought his Brass and Paduck shoulder plane which is beautiful - only surpassed by his smaller Brass and Corian one. I also like the marking gauges - it's good to see your mix of metal and woodworking skills together (very nice).
Spoke to a few others from the forum - sorry if I didn't catch your names.
Had an interesting drive home with a blowout on the motorway :shock: but made it home OK. Look forward to meeting you tomorrow.
Cheers Peter

Looking forward to it today. My Son and I will be setting off about 8-30, as it wil take us about 1.5 hours from South of Birmingham.

Alex

Hi chaps

What did you think of the Woodriver planes on Peter Sefton's stand?

I thought it was very very well made, the machining and finish where superb.

Pete

Racers":2a4t1pa5 said:
What did you think of the Woodriver planes on Peter Sefton's stand?

I thought it was very very well made, the machining and finish where superb.

Have to agree Pete, I thought the Woodriver planes looked very good quality, it was good to have a chat with Peter, from what he said Saturday was the quieter day, browsing was certainly easy in the afternoon as the crowds seemed to die away quickly.
Newark at night is an interesting place, found a barge on the river that is a pub serving excellent cask ales but finding a curry house at 6pm that wasn't full booked proved a little difficult, fortunately we did.

For a first show the midlands event seemed well organised, I enjoyed my day & hope it will go on to bigger & better things.

Thanks guys the planes were well received, they only came to us on the Thursday so that was the first chance I got to play with them. They have some new features over the current UK versions and of course will be available in 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 which I personally prefer. The other good bit of kit is the snap lock lever cap on the Block planes.
The rumour is that next year the show could be bigger.
Cheers Peter

Hi all!
I also did catch a bit of Peter Seftons block plane sharpening/presentation of the new WoodRiver block plane.
good to see you Peter!
Had to tell a friend at college about them blockplanes as he is looking into buying one at some point.
when will you get them online?
personally I have a veritas low angle block plane but if I'd known, I could have 2 woodrivers plus a spare blade now, pfff.....
I do love my veritas though.

the show was good, but had I left my family at home then the show would have been great!
I do love my family though.

best to all,

Philipp.

Latest posts

Back