the midlands micro bash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
Next Saturday (14th) a few of us:

Racers (who hopefully knows what he is doing)
Bodgematic
Modernist
Steve Maskery
Jordan
DougB
and me

Are getting together at my place (Loughborough) for a plane blade hardening and tempering session.

All are welcome.
I'll fire up the "Philly furnace" (yet to be built [-o< ) at about 12noon and we will finish when we all get bored

PM me for address details

Hi, lurker

I can bring my hair dryer (well not mine don't need one) and blow torch, if you want that will get the charcoal going. Do you have some oil a large can/saucepan for quenching?

Pete

That reminds me, need to rough out that blank! I've been too distracted by using tools to start making any :)

Racers":1nt6ta71 said:
Hi, lurker

I can bring my hair dryer (well not mine don't need one) and blow torch, if you want that will get the charcoal going. Do you have some oil a large can/saucepan for quenching?
Pete

Pete
bring drier as I'm not sure I can find an old one. Already asked SWMBO about borrowing hers, she asked why & hit the roof (hammer) when I told her. :oops:
Bring blow torch -will try to cadge my Neighbour's as he has a big one (torch!!!!)
We are about to dump our current oven so have "permission" to temper in that.
Have oil sorted - assume old engine oil is OK??

Hi Lurker

Old engine oil if fine do you have a deep tin to put it in we need about 3-4 inches and some space at the top, see if you can borrow a saucepan :wink:

Pete

Just a foretaste of the exciting tempering action to come, here's the result of my morning's metalworking:

bladepu.jpg

No, that's not a Record original, it's my copy :wink: Thankfully the quality of the image covers a multitude of sins. The experience has confirmed my preference for working wood over metal :)

Looking forward to turning it into something harder and sharper next weekend.

bodgermatic,
fantastic what a good looking blade :) or at least it will be when that blunt end is sharpened :lol:
and all in a morning too!
xy

A bit of a bump!

Last call, anyone else who is at a loose end on Saturday is welcome.

We will no doubt diverge from the main event which is the blade hardening & tempering masterclass lead by Pete.

Have you finished shaping the blade you're going to treat yet, Jim? I only ask 'cos I know how easy it is to get diverted ;)

bodgermatic":fiorunat said:
Have you finished shaping the blade you're going to treat yet, Jim? I only ask 'cos I know how easy it is to get diverted ;)

I have four ( 1 plane, 1 scraper & 2 spokeshave) ready for myself & have one to do for wizer tomorrow.
Not been in the shed since Sunday when I ground the end off my finger :roll:

lurker":18hdmsms said:
I have four ( 1 plane, 1 scraper & 2 spokeshave) ready for myself & have one to do for wizer tomorrow.
Not been in the shed since Sunday when I ground the end off my finger :roll:

You have been busy! Plus you have some battle scars to show off.

Don't believe mad Pet about his metal working he is much better at it than he admits :) wish I could come but sadly otherwise occupied

Latest posts

Back