Micro Bash Planefest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Paul Chapman and Newt (Pete) have just left after a very enjoyable afternoon just messing around with planes and other tools. Paul brought his Cliftons and we had a close look and play with Newts' new bronze LN No4. The pic shows the very small selection of hardware we were comparing, it's such a shame that my take-off table wasn't a bit bigger 'cos we had loads more to play around with :wink:

jnskjhfkjzdkjnzsdjndjd.jpg

We were mainly comparing the smoothers, the LN No4, Clifton No 41/2, Clifton No3 and the Record Calvert-Stevens. All three were consistently taking shavings from some ash of 0.0005" (half a thou) which is impressive and even worked well on some interlocked and nasty Indian Laurel, I liked the No3 alot. I thought it would be too small in the hand but this is'nt the case, it works as well as the larger smoothers, really good to use. The LN is without doubt a beautifully engineered plane and really does work 'straight out the box'. The main conclusion that we came to was that all the planes we tested performed fairly equally but each had a different 'feel'. Paul's larger Cliftons were again very, very impressive.....are you sure Paul, that your No6 was in your holdall at the end and not in the back of Pete's Audi?....it was a close call :lol:. Pete also had his marking gauge which he made in his engineering workshop...just immaculate and probably much superior to anything produced by LN. Big thanks also to Pete for showing me how to harden and temper plane blades and to Paul for leaving me his own Record No4 and Clifton blade to play around with for my own Record No4 refurb.
In all a very, very enjoyable afternoon which we are going to repeat, just a shame that Philly couldn't get here..... :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":b0danhic said:
.....are you sure Paul, that your No6 was in your holdall at the end and not in the back of Pete's Audi?....it was a close call :lol:.

I was too busy watching Pete's vice-like grip on his bronze LN #4 :lol: :lol:

Thanks Rob and Pete - it was a great day, which we must do again some time soon.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Cripes, plane bling! :shock: :lol:

Youse guys ever sacrifice a Saturday to these gloat fests? 'Cos in theory I'm supposed to be kicking my heels* in Salisbury on 9th June... :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

*Given that I assume PFT will be open, this may not actually be that arduous :oops:

You were there in spirit, Alf. If you look closely you will see my "Frampton Special" scrub plane amongst the more expensive equipment (although it's had a bit of a make-over and is now in Clifton green) :D

I can usually make a Saturday :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Looks like you chaps had fun! Sorry I couldn't be there :(
9th of June?? The Queens birthday?? I'll be there, hopefully! Let's make plans..... :D
Philly :D

Mmmm..with the $/£ exchange rate you got me thinking there. LN 04 - from LN in the States £150 bronze. From Axminster £225. Back to that old chestnut....how to import directly from the US. Maybe we should 'pay' a forum member to go over on our behalf with a suitcase and bring back some goodies?

Alf":1hn58brv said:
Cripes, plane bling! :shock: :lol:

Youse guys ever sacrifice a Saturday to these gloat fests? 'Cos in theory I'm supposed to be kicking my heels* in Salisbury on 9th June... :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

*Given that I assume PFT will be open, this may not actually be that arduous :oops:

Alf - 09 Jun looks good if you want to call in, am working that day but could probably 'arrange' somat, depending on what time you are in town. No problem with PFT, open all day Sat......OK, quick 'fone call to work and the 9th Jun is now pencilled in as leave.

Philly, Paul, Pete.... how's that looking for you? - Rob

Roger wrote
Mmmm..with the $/£ exchange rate you got me thinking there. LN 04 - from LN in the States £150 bronze. From Axminster £225.

Classichandtools 10% off that price at the mo' £202 and as an owner of one of these I don't think you'd regret it :) I weighed up buying from the states and have previously bought several things, but by the time I added in postage and the usual rough end of a pineapple from The post office and VAT it made more sense to support a local dealer on this one.

Alan

It was great to be talking and playing with planes and a few other things for 3.5hrs. As Rob mentioned I was really taken with the Clifton No6 seems to have just the right balance for me. Thanks to Rob for the venue and to Paul for bringing his Clifton brood. I now know the most frustrating thing in a woodworkers life, to have bought a bronze LN No4 and not being able to use it because of my Bl**dy back. It is going to cost me 2 LN's and 3 Cliftons (the lower estimate) to have the treatment to put it right,, dam : .( Alf if you are coming out to play at Salisbury we should do something, myself I could be under the knife then so I cannot make any firm arrangements.

Gosh, right, looks like that's a date then. :D Fingers crossed we're shot of the boiler by then... 8-[ I'm staying the nights of the 8th & 9th so apparently have the whole of Saturday free* - so I can pretty much row in with youse guys. Assuming I can get where I need to be.

Newt, I'm torn between "pipper" and being glad you'll be getting your back sorted out.

Cheers, Alf

*I'm still convinced there's going to be a catch to that somewhere. Usually I find myself at a loose end in the middle of nowhere not an actual metropolis. With shops! :shock:

Hi Rob, Paul and Newt

Nice display of planes but I think you all should now get big badges with I am fully paid up member of the slope greasing club.

You have now joined the ranks of Philly, Waka to name two :wink:

Now going on a short break ( well in to hiding ) 8-[

Paul Chapman":2agd60r7 said:
Shouldn't be a problem - I'm sure one of us could pick you up from where ever you are :wink:
That'd be very helpful - should anyone be passing PFT f'rinstance, pretty sure I can get there okay... :whistle: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Yay, Paul's buying... :twisted: :wink: :lol:

Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist. :oops: That'd be great, Paul, thanks. You're a gent. =D>

Cheers, Alf

If there is less than a dozen of you my wife Pam has suggested that we could lay on a decent lunch at my house. It is only 5 miles from the centre of town 51, ladysmith East Gomeldon Salisbury Wilts, SP46LE phone 01980 610102. We will not be offended if you don't want to, you may want to spend the whole day in PFT. Say 1330 to 1400 ish. what do you think. As I am having my treatment privately I can decide when they cut me up so unless there is unforseen developments I think we can do the business.

Back