The maths behind cutting these bevels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this still going on, that geometry isn't mathematics?

It's defined by topic, literally, as one of the earlier areas of mathematics.

The semantics about what's math and what isn't is interesting. In college, I took calculus three and was sort of struggling until figuring out that I'm no good at learning from a lecture. Figuring out the material on my own from the text, though - far better. After that, everything was pretty much a breeze. What I said to the instructor was "I know I have a bunch of math courses dropped my first several semesters, but I want to change my major to math. here's why". The math department advisor said "you can do whatever you want. I'll approve it. Calculus 1-3 aren't math courses, anyway".

After wondering why she allowed me to declare a math major so easily with a relatively "unstellar" course history, she said she never was able to learn from lectures either.

Most of the proofs of geometry require mathematics and at least in routine geometry, none really violate anything mathematical, either.

You can mix fluids and measure the results and use them. That doesn't mean that differential mixing equations aren't mathematics.

If you're not following why a (by then retired) math professor working as an advisor would call calculus courses "not mathematics", she didn't mean calculus isn't math. She meant practical application of mathematics in those courses (which are mostly learning application and memorizing) can be done without actually understanding things at a granular level.

You can use geometry without being able to do a mathematical proof. That doesn't mean it isn't mathematics.

Didn't even need measurements; could just hold the item against blank and draw directly from it.

Not needed, simpler and easier without.

You can draw a tangent on a curve, too. Does that make derivatives non-mathematical?

Turns out my mathematics advisor, who I rarely saw, but created an inflection point in my lifetime as positive as anyone ever did by letting me know it was OK to not try to conform....just figure out how to get results and do it....

....was English. Mary McCammon...

separately - not defending Jacob, but I'm in an applied profession and have forgotten most of what I learned by now, anyway. I try to avoid measuring or quantifying anything that doesn't need to be measured or quantified because my biggest problem is routine errors or little nonsense logical errors within otherwise properly solved complex problems. And impatience with those errors when confronting them in the first place is unnecessary.

Last edited:
I can’t believe this thread is still running, I just wanted to make a gift for my brazillian girl 😂

On that note, I’ve only gone and done it.

Attachments

• E01F7391-A95A-4555-BD90-6D5A9C77F794.jpeg
    E01F7391-A95A-4555-BD90-6D5A9C77F794.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
It wasn't - it's been 'dead' or at least 'idle' for three days

That looks to be made from something other than wood!
Yep. Aint over til the fat lady..... etc!!
I keep meaning to do a demo on divider use - much simpler and more accurate than the graphical methods above.
I'll try later if I've got time.

Latest posts

Back