The joys of electric car ownership!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newspaper premier league

Financial Times - accurate reporting benefits economic decision making
Guardian - thoughtful reporting, albeit with an agenda
Times - pricing itself out of existence
Telegraph - thinks that things were better when Britain had an empire
Mail, Mirror, Sun - Andrex does a better job

You forgot the Express. Or is that not even worth a mention? 🤣

Just to throw my hat in the ring as an owner of a Hybrid car.

I have owned my car for nearly 2 years. I pay no tax on it whatsoever and it costs me approximatly £10 per 100 miles in fuel. But now this year I have seen my car insurance double at least and can't seem to get a reasonable explanation as to why except from my car mechanic. He told me that because of the "volatile nature" of the batteries inside EV's any crash or prang an EV may have, the battery is deemed too unsafe to continue on the road as it is seen as a grenade waiting to go off. Even though my car is half petrol, half electric, with a relatively small battery in comparison with a standard EV, it is still seen as a risk to insurers.

Car companies are pushing the whole "self charging hybrid" more than EV's lately and yet much of the savings I have made on mine are now being eaten up by the insurance company. I have been fighting the knee jerk urge to sell the car and go back to a simpler car as I hope that this whole price hike thing will pass over in the future along with other price hikes.

No we should stick with a technology that has been around for 100 years from an industry that actively bought and destroyed tram systems to force consumers to buy their product and in the US marketed the term 'Jaywalker' to make it the fault of the person wanting to cross the street getting knocked down.

Oh and let's not forget when certain cars had deadly faults but it was deemed more cost effective to pay out compensation to the families than recall the cars. Oh and of course cheating the emmisions testing in recent history.

Elon Musk is a grifter and is doing nothing useful for the environment other than clever marketing. Tesla only makes a profit from selling carbon credits and getting tax breaks all so Elon can build rockets to pollute the atmosphere on a greater scale. Tesla's are in no way the answer to the problem, they are luxury executive cars.
I won't argue with a Luddite. I've said my piece and it indicates the future, not the past.
Happy Daze...

Full EV is not the answer and will cost you as much to run. I am on my third hybrid Kia which is a PHEV which I am thrilled with. OK so I am retired and worked out that the majority of my runs were local. I have had it a year now almost and covered just over 2,500 miles and on my second tank of petrol. However,I do make sure that I use the the IC engine both to stop it going rusty!! and avoid the problems of stale fuel. My energy provider provides with leccy at 7.5p/unit from 9.30pm until 01.30am. Of course use of washing macines etc are banned until 9.30pm! I have invested in a decent smart charger which,as all new builds must include one, will put value on my house I believe. Also,everyone should avoid using public chargers not only because of cost but also because they get heavy rough use so become less efficient over time - I believe a lady was fined £100 for overstaying her welcome at a charge point by ten minutes because the charger did not give what was due in the normal 40 minutes. I treat my expensive charger with great care have installed inside my garage.
Regarding the future hydrogen is not the future either as it uses fossil fuels to create. I believe Toyota have stopped producing electric cars for the home market turning to hydrogen. Up to now they have been buying anthracite from Autralia to produce it but they have done a deal whereby the hydrogen is produced in Australia and Japan sends special tankers to get it - nice footprint for Japan but lousy for the Aussies - some deal!
The answer has to be nuclear fusion with all that "free" energy from the Sun!

Regarding the future hydrogen is not the future either as it uses fossil fuels to create
? some may currently be produced with fossil fuels but the point of Hydrogen is to create it when you have excess wind and solar power and then use it when you need it. There will be times when wind/solar produce more than is needed so this excess can be stored.

Nationalgrid say that on a day in nov 22 77% of all the UKs electric needs was created by wind power alone. Whilst that is only 1 day this will become more commonplace as more solar and wind farms are installed. We'll get to the point where you need to 'dump' this energy somewhere so makes sense to store it as something you can use.

You only get cheap elec at night because it is more efficient to leave the power stations running and in most cases you will be charging your car with fossil fuel power or nuclear fusion (which has it's own environmental problems), as it certainly won't be solar.

Nationalgrid say that on a day in nov 22 77% of all the UKs electric needs was created by wind power alone. Whilst that is only 1 day this will become more commonplace as more solar and wind farms are installed.
Install ten times more and they still won't make any difference on a still night.

Install ten times more and they still won't make any difference on a still night.
indeed, which is why a diverse system is best encompasing Hydro, Wind, Solar, Geo Thermal,Tidal, biomass etc. Then create storage systems such as sand 'Batteries' and Hydrogen production for when there is over production.

The UK, and I suspect most other developed nations, are presently going through serious transitional aggravation. Most issues are capable of resolution through investment, plausible technological improvements, changes to behaviours etc.

The alternative - stick with proven technologies and solutions. This would delight some/many who have difficulty believing change can happen. Rather than focus on the "now" problems, we should contrast the outcome of policies adopted 10-20 years in the future.

A fossil fuelled future is reliance on imported energy, pollution, climate change projections (deniers won't be bothered by this). Energy sources are limited in supply and likely to become increasingly expensive. Depending on what the rest of the world does, the UK may become a pariah state.

It is almost certainly illusory to believe that delay will improve the outcome - inertia, however rational it sounds, is rarely a recipe for success. At some point the transition will need to be made - it will likely be no less fraught than it is now.

The current pathway is far more positive, albeit not without risk. In 10-20 years
  • the UK could be self sufficient in green (including nuclear) energy
  • gaps in generation (wind not blowing etc) could be met by integrating vehicle batteries into the domestic power network
  • excess green generation could electrolytically produce hydrogen for those applications for which battery is unsuitable.

Full EV is not the answer and will cost you as much to run. I am on my third hybrid Kia which is a PHEV which I am thrilled with. OK so I am retired and worked out that the majority of my runs were local. I have had it a year now almost and covered just over 2,500 miles and on my second tank of petrol. However,I do make sure that I use the the IC engine both to stop it going rusty!! and avoid the problems of stale fuel. My energy provider provides with leccy at 7.5p/unit from 9.30pm until 01.30am. Of course use of washing macines etc are banned until 9.30pm! I have invested in a decent smart charger which,as all new builds must include one, will put value on my house I believe. Also,everyone should avoid using public chargers not only because of cost but also because they get heavy rough use so become less efficient over time - I believe a lady was fined £100 for overstaying her welcome at a charge point by ten minutes because the charger did not give what was due in the normal 40 minutes. I treat my expensive charger with great care have installed inside my garage.
Regarding the future hydrogen is not the future either as it uses fossil fuels to create. I believe Toyota have stopped producing electric cars for the home market turning to hydrogen. Up to now they have been buying anthracite from Autralia to produce it but they have done a deal whereby the hydrogen is produced in Australia and Japan sends special tankers to get it - nice footprint for Japan but lousy for the Aussies - some deal!
The answer has to be nuclear fusion with all that "free" energy from the Sun!
Hydrogen could easily be the answer if wind, tide and solar energyis used in its creation.

sorry think we were agreeing as i was being sarcastic that we should only stick with the past, whilst forgetting all the problems the past had in it's initial stages that are overlooked.
Phil, I took your post literally and, after reading some of the daft posts, I carried on beliving you were genuine.
The subtlety missed me...sorry.

nobody has mentiond this as an alternative........hahaha.......
Unknown-5.jpeg

EV's although a great idea, it's just for a few to make billions of £'s from from the masses.....

as for public transport, less cars on the road might give us an intergrated service instead of what available.....

def more trams are needed.....

It is an interesting fact that the millionaire bankrolling the Stop oil clowns has made his money from a "green energy" company. Probaly by the sleight of hand Off set Tax credits etc. As used by the "so called celebs. for their private jet travel.

It is an interesting fact that the millionaire bankrolling the Stop oil clowns has made his money from a "green energy" company. Probaly by the sleight of hand Off set Tax credits etc. As used by the "so called celebs. for their private jet travel.
"Just ask them if thier naan has a heart attack will they turn away the diesel ambulance?"!!!

Just to throw my hat in the ring as an owner of a Hybrid car.

I have owned my car for nearly 2 years. I pay no tax on it whatsoever and it costs me approximatly £10 per 100 miles in fuel. But now this year I have seen my car insurance double at least and can't seem to get a reasonable explanation as to why except from my car mechanic. He told me that because of the "volatile nature" of the batteries inside EV's any crash or prang an EV may have, the battery is deemed too unsafe to continue on the road as it is seen as a grenade waiting to go off. Even though my car is half petrol, half electric, with a relatively small battery in comparison with a standard EV, it is still seen as a risk to insurers.

Car companies are pushing the whole "self charging hybrid" more than EV's lately and yet much of the savings I have made on mine are now being eaten up by the insurance company. I have been fighting the knee jerk urge to sell the car and go back to a simpler car as I hope that this whole price hike thing will pass over in the future along with other price hikes.
And although the insurance companies are doing this it is utter rubbish, the same could be said about a fuel tank with a sender unit cracked by an impact. Yes batteries can catch fire and if they do your not going to put them out. The same is true of a car fire if the petrol tank is involved. The difference is the possible delay between impact and ignition, it's a relatively new tech with different issues and we all have to understand the differences, it takes a while even in the industry. The simple fact is less electric vehicles burn. True I am biased towards EV but that's because I spent 20+ years as a crash test engineer.

nobody has mentiond this as an alternative........hahaha.......
View attachment 162379

EV's although a great idea, it's just for a few to make billions of £'s from from the masses.....

as for public transport, less cars on the road might give us an intergrated service instead of what available.....

def more trams are needed.....
Please (insert name of chosen deity) not trams! Electric buses, hydrogen buses, even stored kinetic energy buses but when you put the things on rails or run from overhead lines all flexibility is lost.

Back