The joys of electric car ownership!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
1688726434728.png

I'm always so sceptical of these sorts of photos, but equally people really are that dumb so it's totally believable. The number of times there have been three people queuing at one petrol pump as their filler cap is on that side! Never had a car yet that a hose could not reach around the back to the other side.

I'm always so sceptical of these sorts of photos, but equally people really are that dumb so it's totally believable. The number of times there have been three people queuing at one petrol pump as their filler cap is on that side! Never had a car yet that a hose could not reach around the back to the other side.
That's true but only if you don't care about your car paintwork, In my case I prefer to queue for a few minutes rather than have to polish out scratches caused by a filthy fuel hose.

Most now have long enough hoses, they didn't used to. At our local filling station you need to be inch perfect or it won't reach.

You joke but there are some interesting looking prototypes including the Aptera Aptera Motors which can get up to 40miles per day from sitting out in the sun (around 20miles in the UK climate, 40 is in california). Yes you can also charge it in addition to the free solar charge - the amount of DM readers who couldn't understand this blew my mind when there was an article on it. I never understand why people hate on things like this though as if they had a car that produced 20miles of free petrol/diesel a day they wouldn't be complaining that it didn't fill the tank all the way up.

It's cars like this and some other small self charging cars that I see as being the future. Small efficient transport!

I think the best option is to just get a towbar and a mobile genset so you can charge on the move, only having to stop to fill up the diesel tank for the generator whilst watching the queue of people waiting for a charge point to become available.
but you wouldn't have to if you had solar panels built in and could do 1000 miles on a full charge like the aptera. Then you could drive smuggly past the queues at the petrol stations when there is a another fuel crisis! You wouldn't even have to think about filling a wheelie bin up with highly flammable liquid or fighting someone at the fuel station to fill your empty coke bottle.

Just looked at the car via u tube.......
wouldn't want to be in it having a bump.....
shouldn't be much left to shovel up after it catches fire with all that plastic....
Sorry there's no benefits I can see that helps outweigh the style.......
and that ginger haired fuzz ball introducing it is also a put off......

looks I deal for Vegan's tho....bit like the old Citroen 2CV....didn't go fast enough to kill anything......

Remember the Sinclair 3 wheeler.....another total loss.......

I think the best option is to just get a towbar and a mobile genset so you can charge on the move, only having to stop to fill up the diesel tank for the generator whilst watching the queue of people waiting for a charge point to become available.

Red diesel?

I can see that aptera being "borrowed" by people just by picking it up and carrying it away!!......

Red diesel, depends how the excise office view it, it is not directly being used for powering the vehicle so would it be classed as DERV ? Knowing our tax system it would be not allowed because they would say it indirectly is used to power the vehicle and therefore duty is due.

Just looked at the car via u tube.......
wouldn't want to be in it having a bump.....
shouldn't be much left to shovel up after it catches fire with all that plastic....
Sorry there's no benefits I can see that helps outweigh the style.......
and that ginger haired fuzz ball introducing it is also a put off......

looks I deal for Vegan's tho....bit like the old Citroen 2CV....didn't go fast enough to kill anything......

Remember the Sinclair 3 wheeler.....another total loss.......

I hear this argument all the time. That's why I drive a sherman tank as anything less is just a death trap of course I wouldn't want to be hit by an Abrams....

Or maybe if people didn't keep buying bigger and bigger cars based entirely on the fact that when they cause an accident they are going to be more likely to walk away than the other car occupants, the roads might be a bit safer.

Is the suv that is 50% more likely to roll in an accident and has a vastly increased stopping distance, worse handling, carrying 100 litres of highly flammable fuel really that much better? I guess you don't feel the bump so much when you hit a kid and they go underneath.

'Sorry there's no benefits I can see that helps outweigh the style' ... then you didn't read the reason for the styling which is that it is 30% more efficient through air than most main stream EVs. Seems like a big benefit to me, both for resources required making the car and the amount of energy needed to move it.

'looks I deal for Vegan's tho' ... because it is not made of meat? Is it only vegans who want to commute for free? What have vegans got to do with advanced aerodynamics and solar EV technology?

'ginger haired fuzz ball introducing it is also a put off' ... Do ginger haired people offend you generally, or just this one specifically? TBH I don't know who you are referring too.

Red diesel can no longer be used in the UK for plant ie building site equipment, only "white" diesel, which is another tax on building homes.

Sort of relevant, the last Ford Fiesta ever came off the line yesterday. Cologne factory being adapted to ev production. Fiesta was UK top selling car last year and has been in the top 3 or 4 for decades. We are all going to be driving ev soon, like it or not, as all manufacturers follow suit

Which can be avoided if you hold the hose in one hand and the nozzle in the other
Sometimes can be avoided.
I have a motorhome for which it is almost impossible :D and tow a little Skoda Citigo which is easy enough and easier with a saloon car but my main car is a tall SUV and it's not an easy task, especially as the hoses are spring loaded. In any case I'm never in such a desperate rush that I can't spare a few minutes to wait.
If other drivers are in such a desperate rush then they're up sh*t creek when they need to stop to charge their EV. :sneaky:

Sometimes can be avoided.
I have a motorhome for which it is almost impossible :D and tow a little Skoda Citigo which is easy enough and easier with a saloon car but my main car is a tall SUV and it's not an easy task, especially as the hoses are spring loaded. In any case I'm never in such a desperate rush that I can't spare a few minutes to wait.
If other drivers are in such a desperate rush then they're up sh*t creek when they need to stop to charge their EV. :sneaky:
I agree - saving a couple of minutes is an unhealthy obsession that seems to be associated with road use in the UK.

Back