The joys of electric car ownership!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed he was but he was also a danger at times trying to gain an advantage over the opposition in F1 and F2.
As does every other team, or they just cheat, like RedBull did two years ago and just pay a fine.

As does every other team, or they just cheat, like RedBull did two years ago and just pay a fine.
You cannot compare today’s technology and regulations with the competition of the 60s and 70s. Different world, different planet.

If anyone watched that program about EV's the other night and saw that charging station in Essex on the A120 then he was talking about issues with the supply from the grid to the substation that supplies his banks of chargers and that it is the grid that limits his capacity and I know that he is not far from a large 400Kv substation.

The other interesting thing was the plug in street chargers for outside your house where you cannot get a cable to your car, only 7kW available so not a quick charge and this firm is fitting 500 in the area but I think they currently are using diversity factors that may be unrealistic. These 500 chargers if all used simultanously would need 3.5 mW and that would be a big shock to the system but they assume only a few chargers will be in use at the same time out of the total they put in and therefore the supply is adequate, if a lot of people suddenly buy an EV and a lot more charge them when they get home from work it is then probable that it will shutdown due to overload.
I did watch it. I got the impression that battery EVs will never replace what we currently have; we won't have generating power, the charging facilities, let alone the battery production capacity.
It's fiddling whilst Rome burns, probably literally, quite soon.
Or to put it another way - EVs would be little use to people in Greece today Greece: Flames reach outskirts of Athens as blaze triggers explosions - live
I don't know what the answer is but the world is going to look very different, especially when viewed from a cave!

Last edited:
push bike mountains.....the average person cant fix em.....might be a good time to start a business.....
View attachment 163476

obv Mikejhn I annoy u......not my intension at all.......
elf and safety officers are just observing the rules that the know nothings from above have dictated......
as for the eu rated vac cleaner, all I said /meant was the dictated, under powered devices available dont really do the job properly and an industrial vac is an easy and worthwhile up-grade....
eu rules,
similar to straight Bananas and trying to stop the sale of mushy peas...etc etc..they are a joke.....

as for machines that u want and available elsewhere.....DeWalt planers from outside the eu, saws with dado blades...etc etc...
if it's what u want go get it.....stuff the rules of a woke, queer loving nanny state.........
What a nasty post.

push bike mountains.....the average person cant fix em.....might be a good time to start a business.....
View attachment 163476

obv Mikejhn I annoy u......not my intension at all.......
elf and safety officers are just observing the rules that the know nothings from above have dictated......
as for the eu rated vac cleaner, all I said /meant was the dictated, under powered devices available dont really do the job properly and an industrial vac is an easy and worthwhile up-grade....
eu rules,
similar to straight Bananas and trying to stop the sale of mushy peas...etc etc..they are a joke.....

as for machines that u want and available elsewhere.....DeWalt planers from outside the eu, saws with dado blades...etc etc...
if it's what u want go get it.....stuff the rules of a woke, queer loving nanny state.........
would you care to show the alternative picture of scrap cars all piled up that the average person can't fix (e.g a simple ECU problem on your old car and it's a write off). The difference is that that pile of bikes is mostly metal that can be recycled. Cars are full of plastic, plastic bumpers, plastic lights, plastic dashboards, plastic fabric on the seats, foam on the seats, plastic carpet, all the trim and boot linings. There is more metal and plastic/rubber in the 4 tires of a car than a single bike.

As for vacuums, I bought a new AEG vac the other day (75% recycled plastic) that is 500watts on max. I run it on the min setting and it still sucks my rugs off the floor! and is the quietest vac I've ever owned. The legislation has forced manufacturers to create more efficient machines rather than just give us over powered machines to compensate for poor design.

...and get ready for the fires.
How are things in Vamos? It does sound pretty dire on Crete.
I hope there will be enough "woke, queer loving nanny state" left, or will it be every man for himself?
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/wor...dfire-plane-crash-mediterranean-b1096637.htmlSo far in Derbyshire we have had a wet and warm summer, greening everywhere with record production of raspberries and blackcurrants in my garden! June was hottest on record.
Be lovely if it could stay like this but the downside is rapidly rising prices of everything.
I expect we will be hit by food shortages and more price rises as the supply chains break, rather than wild fires.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...se-plutocrats-life-on-earth-climate-breakdown

Last edited:
Well I agree.
The child bride and I went for a little ride today to attend to some business - 46km round trip so nothing too much. Great to be out in fresh air and sunshine and as a result, feel energised, ate like a horse and tonight will sleep like a baby. Didn't consume any of the planet's dwindling resources and didn't pollute anything unless you count all the farts that cycling engenders in me now. I think that's an old age thing. I realise that cycling is not for everyone but really you ought to thank those of us who do because you can have the petrol that we don't burn, the parking spaces that we don't need and then there's the congestion that we don't contribute to.

It's little more than a tax, and another incentive never to go into London.
That is also another reason why HS2 is pointless, they are assuming people in Birmingham and further north not only want to visit London but to do it fast and at greater expense when I dare say they have no need or desire to go anywhere near the place and even busineses would rather use technology like video conferencing as a greener option.

My b.i.l. has a business south of London, they no longer accept contracts in central London as because of the nature of their work they can need go in and out of ULEZ zones several times a day.

I found the argument that HS2 would somehow benefit places in between London and Birmingham rather odd as it 's not stopping at any of them. It should have been consigned to history in 2016.

My b.i.l. has a business south of London, they no longer accept contracts in central London as because of the nature of their work they can need go in and out of ULEZ zones several times a day.

I found the argument that HS2 would somehow benefit places in between London and Birmingham rather odd as it 's not stopping at any of them. It should have been consigned to history in 2016.
I thought you only paid once for every 24 hours period, multiple entries and exits included.

Back