The Future of the Woodturning Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of you will already know that I have been wondering about the future viability of this competition. With entries down to an all time low of 4 for the summer challenge there seems to be very little interest or reason to continue.

I have decided to carry on for now and finish off the challenges for this year as were previously announced….. but what happens after that is up to all of you. You can use this thread to make your feelings known but so far it looks as if apathy will rule supreme and this will be the end of the challenges.

Graham

That seems like a very good way forward. You're giving us a chance and you've given us fair warning.

Come on folks - are we woodturners or do we just talk about it?

I have no idea where to go with "multiple holes" so I will have to explore something new. Mmmmmm!

All the best

Ian

Graham

Thank you for not ending the challenge as I fully anticipated you would. Like Ian, I have never done any piercing to a project I have turned so there is going to be a bit of a learning curve....

To all of you sitting on the sidelines.... I offer this piece of encouragement. I too, at one time, did not participate in the challenge for fear of making myself look foolish, amateurish, getting zero points, etc, etc. I came up with all sorts of reasons for not taking part. Then I realized that by not entering I wasn't truly challenging myself by tackling projects I had no idea how to make. If you truly want to get better you need to step out of your comfort zone.... as I tell the kids that I coach "Get comfortable at being uncomfortable". Do that and I promise you will get better.

I fully intend to enter the remaining challenges for the simple fact of challenging myself with projects I have not made before with the hope that I can become a better turner in the long run.

For those of you who follow politics, I will end by paraphrasing Donald Trump's campaign slogan....."Let's make the Challenge Great Again!"

Steve "Bubba" Rasko

Oh, Bubba, you were doing so well until;

"paraphrasing Donald Trump..."

You nearly made me give up turning all together!!

Seriously, though. Thank you Graham for giving everyone another chance. I've been an occasional dabbler and mostly sideliner. No excuses. Will have to get my finger out if I'm to get into this one, as the wooden garage is soon to be demolished and rebuilt, so no workshop for a while.

Greg

Greg

I merely quoted Donald Trump in an effort to show people I once thought the likelihood of me winning a challenge had the same odds of "The Donald" winning the American election.

It scares me to think that the American public somehow views him as a viable candidate to lead their country..... This coming from a Canadian of course.

Anyhow, enough politics.....Less idle chit chat people and more turning for the Fall Challenge!!!

Bubba

thx for that , graham,and as the only person to enter every challenge, im not quitting now.maybe for the next year, if it goes, its a show and tell, developed around a theme. this might encourage beginners to dabble. then perhaps it would only by voted on by the entrants, or it could be peoples choice from anyone who cares to vote.we were all beginners once and when i look at some of the drek i entered, well we are all learning all the time. i encouraged Bubba to enter into this, and now hes king for a day. come on guys and gals, lets go.

I'm tempted to have a go after reading Bubba's motivational post.

I'm interested to know why those who don't enter decide not to enter? Is it just apathy or is there something you think you should get out of it that you aren't getting? If the challenge was changed to add whatever it is you think is missing, would you then enter?

Lack of experience/confidence/wood are my main reasons for non-entry.

Perhaps we should get rid of 'the challenge' and 'winners' and have a 'cant think of a word' with the current judges offering an experienced 'assessment' of each piece.
This is making me think and it is much to early in the morning for that :)

The judges assessments are what I enter for. If I come 42nd but get some useful feedback it's been useful. If I come first but learn nothing I don't get anything out of it. The only times I've been dissapointed by the challenge is when I've got no feedback, that's what it's all about for me.

I keep meaning to enter but life has been getting in the way ! I've not actually been to a turning club meeting this year yet ! Shameful :(

That and I'm such an amateur :(

I entered a few last year but just haven't had time more recently with a new job, new house and just not getting any workshop time. Would be a shame to see it end, but i can understand it must be quite depressing trying to run it with so few entrants.

it is not just the competition, I have noticed there is very little being shown of peoples work in the Turning section but plenty of talk on tools, machines and other items relating to woodturning, not that there is a problem with that as it also is needed but the amount of people asking for or giving advice surely they must do some turning that could be shown or do you just collect tools. The only person that seems to post there work on a regular basis is CHJ. I try to as and when I make something along with a couple of others so what about the rest of you.
I must confess that the last month I have been so busy either doing a stall at rallies, converting a load of wood before it ends up as firewood(it still could after I have turned it) as well as casting 55 pen blanks. And if you think that is enough I am writing another article for the "Woodworker" magazine(just had two published the last couple of months).
That is now coming to and end (except the writing) so hopefully I should be able to get and make something.

Non turner here. :D Love seeing the entrant's work. I've enjoyed each one since I found ukw. No help whatsoever of course. Just saying. It would be a crying shame if it ended. I feel like I'm intruding a little but I'd urge any one hesitant to enter to have a bash. Go for it. The one thing you're guaranteed is help and advice even if you're a complete novice. Come on guys! If it dies out ukw will be a poorer place for it. Anyway. I'll sneak off, leave you in peace and carry on lurking the turning section in secret. :wink:

I have only been turning since April but I will enter so nobody else needs to worry about coming last.
Sam

Samfire":6us8brq0 said:
I have only been turning since April but I will enter so nobody else needs to worry about coming last.
Sam

A true gentleman! =D>

(But you are forgetting there is stiff competition for last place when I get time to enter).

As my wooden garage is now broken into pieces and in the process of being resurrected in another form, I have no lathe or anything at the moment, although I did have a first go at thin wall with piercing (well, drill holes), before the big packing up, so I do have a very very poor effort ready for this quarter's challenge.

Come on Sam - it's a race to the bottom!

Latest posts

Back