The end of fluorescent lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case anyone is still using fluorescent lighting the tubes, remember that they are being phased out of production by the end of next year, so either get some spares now or change your lighting units. There is also a lot of work out there for electricians as a lot of companies have been slow to react.
Thanks—useful to know.

It would be more cost-effective, in the long run, to bite the bullet and change to LED strip lights now, rather than than trying to bodge old fluorescent fittings.
Anyone aware of the stroboscopic effect of using LED lamps near machinery? The sources of information on the net seem to have conflicting views.

Anyone aware of the stroboscopic effect of using LED lamps near machinery? The sources of information on the net seem to have conflicting views.
I'm wondering what's the suitable/affordable alternatives, should this be the case?

Anyone aware of the stroboscopic effect of using LED lamps near machinery
The original flourescent tubes had a 50Hz flicker, with the newer electronic ballast they run at higher frequencies and so not a problem. With the 50Hz flicker and machinery it could in some situations make the chuck appear stationary. The same as when we used timing lights to set our ignition timing and the crank pulley would appear to be stationary so as you could align the timing marks by rotating the distributor.

Lidl usually has 4ft, waterproof LED fittings every year for around £15. Fitted them in my workshop and loft, very nice quality.
Any idea when in the year this might be??
And has anyone found a replacement for the double-D style fluorescents? We (OK, I) made the mistake of fitting 28W versions in our kitchen extension, and they seem to eat tubes. Got a stash of them which MAY last my remaining days, but it might be useful to know if they can easily be replaced.

Any idea when in the year this might be??
And has anyone found a replacement for the double-D style fluorescents? We (OK, I) made the mistake of fitting 28W versions in our kitchen extension, and they seem to eat tubes. Got a stash of them which MAY last my remaining days, but it might be useful to know if they can easily be replaced.
Here's a handy "Lidl archive" called offersKD2.org, which seemingly caters for most countries
so make sure you select UK.

I wonder if it's these 1M LED strips which @GuitardoctorW7 mentioned?
https://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/lidl/pkiIT/
4b010802f60efb254fafca37334c5f90ee2448ae.jpg

2a1cfd0f4112580433acbd48e39b0c6c97012ddc.jpg

They don't seem comparable from the pics, so I'm guessing not,
and I need to keep scrolling.

Tom

Balanced lighting usually refers to full spectrum light sources - with a colour temperature that is as close to daylight as possible; around 6500K, certainly no higher (usually similar to overcast daylight).

There have been more than a few studies on the beneficial aspects of sed light sources in schools, hosptials and so to warant their use everywhare. Problem is that even with led technology they don't come as cheap as other light sources.

Years ago a Vancouver BC school board installed some full spectrum fluorescent tubes in a test environment. The results were quite clear in as to benefits. Reduced agro in school room improved grades, reduced headaches and so on. Hosptials and doctros surgeries also note a significant benefit.

https://www.waveformlighting.com/hu...you-need-to-know-about-full-spectrum-lighting

Now that is interesting. Will one still be able to get the LED units that plug directly into ones fluorescent fittings? as I was thinking of getting these instead of the usual tubes.

On a related note .... my wife has just got hold of a LED panel, from her mother who couldn't get on with it. I believe it is a type of balanced daylight therapy panel. ( Don't even ask !)
I might try it out in the workshop as a work light. It is a bit fierce though - like a "Kindle on steroids"

I got four for my loft.... brilliant! (literally!)

I just upgraded my workshop to LED and my gosh.... what a difference. It must be at least 50% brighter and a much nicer cooler light temperature. I should have done so long ago. Good riddance to those fluorescent tubes.

I just upgraded my workshop to LED and my gosh.... what a difference. It must be at least 50% brighter and a much nicer cooler light temperature. I should have done so long ago. Good riddance to those fluorescent tubes.
One of my tubes went recently, so I have 50% less... well, only sometimes! :p

Though I mostly only have one of them ever on, location dependent since recent enough.
Comments like the above are intriguing, but leave lots to question.

In my scenario, I reckon these old florescent lamps were fitted for the optimum lighting in my shed,
and would, perhaps most likely be a challenge to replicate the results with a differing system.
SAM_8488.JPG

That is, if my experiments with DIY lampshades are the same deal.
(a sweet spot regarding the depth of bulb within the shade)
what's certainly more evident than the "just noticeable difference" featured in James Burke's Connections,
so I've got no reason, not to think of a pitched roof being any different to a lampshade,
and the sweet spot up there, having a greater span than something which,
granted... might have similar output per watt,
with the caveat being that you must make somewhat of an effort to match it?

i.e, lighting strips everywhere, what's likely to get bashed, rather than high up on the roof,
and likely so... an equal amount of a pain in the @r$e to replace! :(

Still skeptical of those LED lamps, as it's not often you come across something for nothing,
though I must say I've been impressed by the regular incandescent 60w replacements
for my angle poises, not sure what to call them though.
These ones have a plastic neck, and pleased to see them being sold cheaply in the pound shop, though not quite as good as the expensive Phillips ones, (both scored well with a bash test)

Wondering if there's not some similar replacement like these,
though I note their not rated that efficient either, so perhaps could be why not.
They've got a nice warm colour, what matters for matching timbers, as I found even the florescent ones differing, most notable if you've got a machine painted in Claas green.
A kinda upsetting colour when the light's not right, so I am more than skeptical of those studies too.

I have replaced all my shop lights including strip lights and,yes, any fluosescent tube can be converted with the kits whether it is the old white or the ballast type - very easy to do

Just bought an old style 5ft florescent bulb today, too hustled to find someone knowledgeable,
but seen LED versions of the same beside it, same price at nearly a fiver. (euros)
Seems worth inquiring about again, and seems no need to go stockpiling either.
Screenshot-2023-9-15 Fluorescent Tubes - Choose A Bulb(1).png

Latest posts

Back