The end of fluorescent lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
In case anyone is still using fluorescent lighting tubes, remember that they are being phased out of production by the end of next year, so either get some spares now or change your lighting units. There is also a lot of work out there for electricians as a lot of companies have been slow to react.

Last edited:
We had the school upgraded to LED over the summer, I wasn't told it was being done so had put in an order for new tubes a few weeks earlier, I now have a few hundred £££ worth of tubes and starters I don't need, gumtree here I come.

Now that is interesting. Will one still be able to get the LED units that plug directly into ones fluorescent fittings? as I was thinking of getting these instead of the usual tubes.

On a related note .... my wife has just got hold of a LED panel, from her mother who couldn't get on with it. I believe it is a type of balanced daylight therapy panel. ( Don't even ask !)
I might try it out in the workshop as a work light. It is a bit fierce though - like a "Kindle on steroids"

AFAIK, here (Switzerland) fluorescent tubes are still available. I have a mix in my cellar - I've used the "simple" just plug into existing fittings LED where possible, but I also have a couple of old 90cm fluoro fittings for which LED tubes don't seem to be made. And I just bought a couple of 90 cm fluoros a few days back.

As we're moving house I haven't done anything about changing to all new LED units, but several retailers here "say" that LED tubes of 90 cm length are not made.

BTW, I find the "bright white" LED tubes very good in the workshop

Now that is interesting. Will one still be able to get the LED units that plug directly into ones fluorescent fittings? as I was thinking of getting these instead of the usual tubes.

On a related note .... my wife has just got hold of a LED panel, from her mother who couldn't get on with it. I believe it is a type of balanced daylight therapy panel. ( Don't even ask !)
I might try it out in the workshop as a work light. It is a bit fierce though - like a "Kindle on steroids"
My understanding is that there are LED replacements that will fit the holders but the ballasts will need to be taken out of the circuit

some replacements are just that . a replacement that doesnt need the ballast removed and the supplied "starter" is just a wire link in a tube.
ps IFAIK the only ballasts that really need removing are the electronic high frequency types. the old wirewound heavy ones can stay in cct but will consume power hence they often get removed. its not a difficult job to remove the "guts of a unit anyway and the bits dont actually need to removed just taken out of the cct

i have used these in the workshop and its bright!!

https://www.toolstation.com/v-tac-t8-nano-plastic-led-tube/p77622

My understanding is that there are LED replacements that will fit the holders but the ballasts will need to be taken out of the circuit

some replacements are just that . a replacement that doesnt need the ballast removed and the supplied "starter" is just a wire link in a tube.
ps IFAIK the only ballasts that really need removing are the electronic high frequency types. the old wirewound heavy ones can stay in cct but will consume power hence they often get removed. its not a difficult job to remove the "guts of a unit anyway and the bits dont actually need to removed just taken out of the cct

i have used these in the workshop and its bright!!

https://www.toolstation.com/v-tac-t8-nano-plastic-led-tube/p77622

More or less my understanding too.

BUT what I'm trying to say (about LED tubes) is not about ballasts not needed, etc, BUT that according to the retailers here, no one makes a 90 cm long LED tube, and for the older fluro fittings, 90 cm used to be a standard length, now apparently discontinued - here anyway.

So that means me either fitting an old type 90 cm fluro tube (IF I can get one, I can here); OR chucking the whole light fitting away because none of the "standard lengths" of LED tubes available here will physically fit my old 90 cm fluoro fittings (they're either a bit too short, 85 cm; or much too long, 115 cm).

OR, have I been mis-informed??

(Sorry I wasn't too clear previously).

So that means me either fitting an old type 90 cm fluro tube (IF I can get one, I can here); OR chucking the whole light fitting away because none of the "standard lengths" of LED tubes available here will physically fit my old 90 cm fluoro fittings (they're either a bit too short, 85 cm; or much too long, 115 cm).
I did a quick search as I did not think they had been discontinued here and they are still available. Perhaps if someone is visiting they can take one to you or two.

More or less my understanding too.

BUT what I'm trying to say (about LED tubes) is not about ballasts not needed, etc, BUT that according to the retailers here, no one makes a 90 cm long LED tube, and for the older fluro fittings, 90 cm used to be a standard length, now apparently discontinued - here anyway.

OR, have I been mis-informed??

(Sorry I wasn't too clear previously).
(they're either a bit too short, 85 cm; or much too long, 115 cm). i suppose as the "tube" is plastic on these new one then it could be possible to get the innards out and shorten them. most led tape has cutting points at regular intervals and i dont see why the stuff used in led tubes would be different

900mm tubes are very much available so perhaps you should try an electrical wholesaler if they have such things in switzerland

(they're either a bit too short, 85 cm; or much too long, 115 cm). i suppose as the "tube" is plastic on these new one then it could be possible to get the innards out and shorten them. most led tape has cutting points at regular intervals and i dont see why the stuff used in led tubes would be different

Thanks. Not sure if I want to try that idea, but perhaps a possibility for me? But see above, and thanks for the tip anyway. And I didn't realise it's "only" LED tape inside those things - I never really looked to be honest!

Cheers

900mm tubes are very much available so perhaps you should try an electrical wholesaler if they have such things in switzerland

We do and I already tried the most well-known/nearest to me, and like "the usual retailers" here, the wholesalers said the equivalent of "Nah mate, they don't make that size in LED, but perhaps we could find some from somewhere if you need 100 off or so". SO UK is not the only country where "service" is a foreign word sometimes! :dunno:

Ahem, hem cough ,cough. I did run a couple of tubes temporarily you understand.. from a length of cable and two bits of choc block to connect to the pins on the end. It was temp honest...

ps amazon do list 900mm tubes but might be too expensive in your country

Ahem, hem cough ,cough. I did run a couple of tubes temporarily you understand.. from a length of cable and two bits of choc block to connect to the pins on the end. It was temp honest...
Not really my style mate! especially as "people" are visiting wanting (??) to buy our house!. :)

I had a tube die a few months ago and bought an LED replacement from Screwfix,about a tenner.There was a part to replace the old starter and I am delighted with the switch.The new light comes on instantly,with none of the stuttering that afflicts some old fluorescents,as a bonus the light is stronger while consuming a fraction of the electricity.

Latest posts

Back