Very good, cheap and effective task lighting - Ikea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjgtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have just installed two task lights from Ikea and I would highly recommend them.
In my garage / workshop I had one main central ceiling light. I initially change this to two, one at each end of the garage.
But I found that sometimes when working at my benches, the work area was in shadow.
So I then added two additional lights but both were still fixed, what I really wnated / needed was flexible / moveable lights, eg: task lighting.
After asking around and a bit of Googling I found Ikea lights, specifically, Tertial and Navlinge lights.
The Tertial light is basically a cheap angle poise lamp, (using E27 type screw in bulbs) but with a clamp, so the base can be moved, and it can also be screwed to a surface or a wall. The Tertail cost only £13, yes only £13, its a bargain!
The Navlinge light is a small flexible LED unit, also with a clamp so the base can be moved. The Navlinge cost only £15, so is also a bargain.
Both come in various colours, incl white and grey.
navlinge led task light.jpgTertail E27 task lamp.jpg

I have used both a few times now and they work great, light the work area very well, and are easy to use and afix, and I can wholeheatedly recommend them.
Cheers

Surely others would appreciate a good look at those also..
I'd like to know what size the angle poise lamp is, as the ones on ebay aren't what they make out,
and rather useless by comparison.
SAM_4866.JPG

Cheers
Tom

Hi, yep sorry should have added dimensions.
Tertial lamp has an arm length of 800mm, with joint in the middle, so folds roughly in half at 400mm.
The shade diameter is 170mm. Light can be rotated in pretty much any direction.
The Navlinge light is 360mm long max, and can be bent / rotated to suit.
Cheers

They're very good for shining behind show anywhere lights shining through eg hollows very useful when flattening,don't see how you would see that from ceiling level

They're very good for shining behind show anywhere lights shining through eg hollows very useful when flattening,don't see how you would see that from ceiling level
I use either a hand torch or a head torch for that, if necessary. Or smaller pieces I'd lift up to the light direction.
I've tried angle poises, I thought it was good idea too. I do use several but not on the workbench.
Good spread of ceiling lights is first essential IMHO.

We all have our ways and means to achieving same objective no ways right or wrong, several ways to skin a cat, all a matter of preference

Having them easily movable is essential, making sure not to have them too high is another,
I've found you can't place them much higher than the bench, due to the nature of the springs relaxing, and even in cramped situations at bench height might need a hand, so handy to have a magnet hanging about.
SAM_7253.JPG

I've had Two IKEA Tertial lamps fixed to the back wall about 45cm above over my work bench for well over four years now. The only problem I've had is one shed a fixing pin on the shade, soon remedied with I think a 3mm pin & nut, the other problem is the light intensity. The lamps are warm white and I think for workshop purposes I would be better withdaylight lamps for my aging eyes. This is not a serious problem, after four years I've not replaced them yet. If you want anglepoise lamps I highly recommend these cheap and cheerful fittings.

Hi, I have just installed two task lights from Ikea and I would highly recommend them.
In my garage / workshop I had one main central ceiling light. I initially change this to two, one at each end of the garage.
But I found that sometimes when working at my benches, the work area was in shadow.
So I then added two additional lights but both were still fixed, what I really wnated / needed was flexible / moveable lights, eg: task lighting.
After asking around and a bit of Googling I found Ikea lights, specifically, Tertial and Navlinge lights.
The Tertial light is basically a cheap angle poise lamp, (using E27 type screw in bulbs) but with a clamp, so the base can be moved, and it can also be screwed to a surface or a wall. The Tertail cost only £13, yes only £13, its a bargain!
The Navlinge light is a small flexible LED unit, also with a clamp so the base can be moved. The Navlinge cost only £15, so is also a bargain.
View attachment 160362View attachment 160363

I have used both a few times now and they work great, light the work area very well, and are easy to use and afix, and I can wholeheatedly recommend them.
Cheers
"Bulb's" you plant in the ground or planters I use Lamps (led's of course) so much more light from them.
Ikea lighting is pretty good and inexpensive.

I've had Two IKEA Tertial lamps fixed to the back wall about 45cm above over my work bench for well over four years now. The only problem I've had is one shed a fixing pin on the shade, soon remedied with I think a 3mm pin & nut, the other problem is the light intensity. The lamps are warm white and I think for workshop purposes I would be better withdaylight lamps for my aging eyes. This is not a serious problem, after four years I've not replaced them yet. If you want anglepoise lamps I highly recommend these cheap and cheerful fittings.
What, as long as you don't mind the poor quality of the light? :unsure:

View attachment 160362View attachment 160363

Cheers
Navlinge are OK, but a pain to get them to stay pointed where you want them. I have a series of 12mm holes drilled into the workbenches so I can 'plant' them were I need them, much quicker than relocating the brackets.

Navlinge are OK, but a pain to get them to stay pointed where you want them.
Exactly the problem which I encountered - and everybody else does! I thought they were a good idea too for a week or so. I even made a stand so I didn't have to sit it on the bench.
They are good if you are doing something settled in one spot, ideally reading or knitting. No good for woodwork
I have a series of 12mm holes drilled into the workbenches so I can 'plant' them were I need them, much quicker than relocating the brackets.
Head torch makes more sense. Similar light spread, if not better, depending on the model, and like magic they always point in the direction you are looking!
Maybe an Anglepoise on your shoulder could be good, except for the flex perhaps? It's the ideal position. If you have it in front of you the lamp shade gets in the way, if you have it to the side it's not pointing in the right direction, placed anywhere else - every time you move you have to move the lamp.

Last edited:
"Bulb's" you plant in the ground or planters I use Lamps (led's of course) so much more light from them.
Ikea lighting is pretty good and inexpensive.
Dictionary: (Definitions from Oxford Languages)
light bulb
noun
a device used to convert electricity into light, consisting of a source of illumination (e.g. an electric filament or one or more LEDs) enclosed within a transparent or translucent shell, typically having a rounded shape and designed to be fitted into a socket in a lamp.

Nuff said.... :);)(y)

What, as long as you don't mind the poor quality of the light? :unsure:
[sigh]
Not everyone has access to or the budget for the "best" lights, so we have to make do with cheap alternatives. For me, the two lights I bought do the job. They improve on the lighting I already had, they are good value, they are flexible, can be moved, etc and light the space in the way I want it to be lit. It may not be perfect, its what I've got. But thanx for the input.

Back