The ‘Woodturning Challenge’ 2016 Get your thinking caps on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Castanea":65m52kgi said:
...- can you do another five the same please?" Ouch!

I think that if you attempted to do so you would surprise yourself.
Small production or repetitive turning just needs a brain engagement phase that plans a little ahead on how to simplify the dimensioning and reduce the lathe and tool setup time.

Starting either with a 'story board/template' before starting or the making of such after the first one is produced it becomes a case of matching profiles close enough by eye and not constantly stopping and measuring.

Thanks - I'll give it a try Chas. There's some more oak knocking about so I'll go for a pair, see how it goes and try for more if it goes well :)

Something a little different might be fun, I like the current quarterly arrangement, that at least allows a bit of time, (although I found none for the last one) Subjects could be along the lines of;

A Major Chess piece i.e. King queen bishop rook even a knight (yes you can turn a knight!) This would call for a degree of design as well as turning skill.

A small natural edged bowl, again a nice challenge requiring the exercise of some skill with the tools.

A grain matched box. (i.e. the grain runs through the lid to the base with as close a match as possible)

A pair of chair legs (again this would be a test of turning skill, design can be a copy of an existing chair or self made) Also this is a good test of spindle turning.

I realise that these subjects may be seen as fairly hard by the raw amateur, but they are by no means excessively so and would be a true test of turning skills as each requires a different approach to achieve a very fine result, and what better way is there to progress than by really challenging yourself?

Anyway, that's my suggestion, I am still quite happy to go along with whatever gets decided upon regardless.

I did put up suggestions on page one of this thread.

Dalboy":2bx1srcr said:
I think something on the lines of.

1 Goblet. ------------- This will test spindle turning
2 A bowl. ------------- Something across the grain
3 A turned box with matching grain. ------------- A simple hollowing exercise
4 A Hanging Christmas decoration no larger than 3" tall. ------------- Turning of small parts and finials

I know the goblet and bowls are the norm but I have added next to each one what type of turning is involved and hopefully nothing that is too difficult but allows for every one to try different turning techniques.

One thing that has got to be considered is not every one has a lathe to do larger pieces of turning or blanks large enough I am fortunate in that my lathe will take larger pieces

Latest posts

Back