Tethering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycktm

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the settings,to tether a laptop to a phone?
I've got a viewty and an archos 5 and the archos connects via bluetooth to the viewty to get onto the net,no problem.I'd like to connect to the viewty via bluetooth/bluesoil/laptop.But need a better understanding/settings.The phone is on tesco.

I find a bit of string usually works for me :D

Seriously, I hope you find a solution...apart from bluetooth, I haven't the faintest idea what this is all about. I must be getting old.

Hi Andy,

That's a very curious problem... If the Archos can see it as a bluetooth gateway, then a PC should too - in theory at least. Can't think of anything at the moment, but I'd try it with a USB cable and the LG software and see if that works, the move on to getting it to work over BT.

As a side note, almost all mobile contracts forbid tethering. There is much debate about whether networks can tell if you are doing it or not. It is certainly true that mobiles can send a User Agent ID string when they access the internet, and when operating in tether mode, they might not send this string (thus revealing you are using tethering). But nobody even knows if the networks listen for the string in the first place... Personally, I tether my phone to my laptop over WiFi all the time, but I have it set so that it sends the ID string whether I'm tethering or not, just in case!

What operating system are you on?

I recently did this for my sisters phone on vista, and the settings for it were in network connections and it was really unclear what to do with it, in the end found the settings to allow the computer to take control of the phone via bluetooth and it could make calls from the computer and send texts etc. So I'd have a look at that easy option first.

Latest posts

Back