Postage cost for a long parcel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brocher

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I need two post a long parcel - 185 x 46 x15 cm weighing approx 10kg. I have looked at various websites for quotes - including ones like Parcel Monkey, Parcel Hero, etc - and they all seem to say it will be approx £39 - via ParcelForce. All the others like DPD, FedEX, etc won't quote due to the length. I also explored a courier option and got a quote of £138!!!!! It's a parcel to Lincolnshire from Birmingham.

Does anyone have any thoughts apart from the obvious one of firstly - Don't post it! Or secondly - drive it there myself!

Thanks

I don't think you will get cheaper or better unless you have something like a tnt trade account, it's just too big.

When posting bikes etc parceforce is always the cheapest and normally the only one.

The price WILL be cheaper if you don't pre pay, just take it into your local depot instead

I send alot of parcels and yes, couriers seem to sting you when it gets over 1.5m regardless of how small the other dimensions are, or the weight. I often use Interparcel but they're basically the same as Parcel Monkey et all.
Think I remember Tuffnells were the best for long items but believe they've now gone .

It's 99 miles basically a couple of hours each way.

Make a day of it. Hunt down some nice eatery and look to have lunch there. See a few sights and return home. Maybe go to some nice Butchers out there, buy yourself a big piece of quality *steak that you can reward yourself with when you get home.

* Unless of course you are vegan/vegetarian, in which case burn in hell you weirdo

It's 99 miles basically a couple of hours each way.

Make a day of it. Hunt down some nice eatery and look to have lunch there. See a few sights and return home. Maybe go to some nice Butchers out there, buy yourself a big piece of quality *steak that you can reward yourself with when you get home.

* Unless of course you are vegan/vegetarian, in which case burn in hell you weirdo
Love this. A colleague shared a joke with me (because I'm a veggie)

He said, if a vegetarian and a vegan jump off a plane without a parachute, who wins?........... the answer is society!

I was in stitches!

But a very good piece of advice on delivering it yourself, I think. I know it may not be what you were after. Or can ask a friend or another forum member who travels a lot and ask them to drop off for fuel money and a six pack (preferably not used together!)

I also explored a courier option and got a quote of £138!!!!! It's a parcel to Lincolnshire from Birmingham.

Does anyone have any thoughts
A good one off rate for a nationwide pallet delivery is £70, so you just got the price for a double pallet load weighing up to 2 tons.
What else can you send them in the spare 1990kg ?

Yes long items are always very expensive to ship. Back when I was into making bows I was wanting to get a couple of yew staves from western USA. Shipping was more than the cost of the wood. Instead I got them as 1m billets and that reduced the shipping more than half. I then had to learn the Z splice and join them at the handle.
Regards
John

I need two post a long parcel - 185 x 46 x15 cm weighing approx 10kg. I have looked at various websites for quotes - including ones like Parcel Monkey, Parcel Hero, etc - and they all seem to say it will be approx £39 - via ParcelForce. All the others like DPD, FedEX, etc won't quote due to the length. I also explored a courier option and got a quote of £138!!!!! It's a parcel to Lincolnshire from Birmingham.

Does anyone have any thoughts apart from the obvious one of firstly - Don't post it! Or secondly - drive it there myself!

Thanks
Thy also use 'volumetric weight' over certain sizes, because something large & light takes up more space than smaller & heavier. To do with vehicle GW, I believe.

He said, if a vegetarian and a vegan jump off a plane without a parachute, who wins?........... the answer is society!
I think thats actually as bit strong, maybe bordering on abuse. A little bit of banter is fine, but some always seem to go off on a rant and thats not really ok.

Actually I applaud the lifestyle as in it is a hard thing to do. I certainly couldn't give up meat.

I believe in a live and let live policy. Fine if you eat meat and fine if you don't. Which is why I often say that militant vegans are a bane on the veg eating world, and should be called out over their behaviour.

I think thats actually as bit strong, maybe bordering on abuse. A little bit of banter is fine, but some always seem to go off on a rant and thats not really ok.

Actually I applaud the lifestyle as in it is a hard thing to do. I certainly couldn't give up meat.

I believe in a live and let live policy. Fine if you eat meat and fine if you don't. Which is why I often say that militant vegans are a bane on the veg eating world, and should be called out over their behaviour.
I agree.

My parents are very religious and hence my upbringing as well. But now it's a choice out of not having the urge to try meat! My brother eats meat occasionally and my wife is native British! Main reason I'm veggie is because of the variety of veg food I was exposed to by my lovely mum that I am never starved for choices, pun intended.

I have the same policy about food, eat what makes you happy and is not too damaging to healthc (too much of anything is bad anyways)

Sorry, O.P, this thread isn't about meal choices, I understand. Hope you found a solution to the postage issue.

Thanks for the comments. I haven't sorted the postage issue, but am coming to an arrangement with the customer when I am up close to their neck of the woods seeing family, and will deliver my package then.

have you tried parcel courier middlemen like shiply who put out your carriage request to tender for couriers to effectively bid on.
the couriers then pick it up when in your area and deliver when in the area the other end. might take 2 or 3 days but should be cheaper

Back