Computer Experts - Monitor Issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It couldn't be anything as simple as the monitor's own screensaver, could it?

I wish - that kind of thing is why I checked about half a dozen times over a period of hours to see if opening the other PC really was what did it. I thought it had to be a function conflict, and not something unexpected.

I use two screens for software, one is the IDE and the other is often documentation but both run from a single graphics card and there are some oddities in windows 10 that can be really annoying.

I don't use two screens, just configure the monitor as the second screen.
Are you saying the other monitor just mimicks the first?

This might help, takes some reading but it solved a few issues for me

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-329c6962-5a4d-b481-7baa-bec9671f728a

So, the fix this morning working from home office.....it's kind of boring, but it was nailed here.

I moved the power supply for L2, it's away from the monitor now and even connected to a different outlet about 10 feet away. Makes no difference where L2 is when it's only streaming audio. And the issue is resolved! L2 itself wasn't that close to the monitor, but its transformer was right below it and its cords/cables - never would've even considered the transformer.

I was gearing up for a real battle!

Thanks again for the help.

It may sound really dumb to prefer a PC over a phone or tablet for streaming media, but it's easier to set up a que before work and the browser ad blocker cuts way down on surprising random loud audio.

I use two screens for software, one is the IDE and the other is often documentation but both run from a single graphics card and there are some oddities in windows 10 that can be really annoying.

Are you saying the other monitor just mimicks the first?

This might help, takes some reading but it solved a few issues for me

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-329c6962-5a4d-b481-7baa-bec9671f728a

I lay out the laptop flat and use the keyboard and number entry pad (nature of the job for certain things) and only use the desktop monitor instead of using both. job tasks often require seeing two documents at once and a change in laptop from using L2 (big laptop with big screen) to a replacement with a small screen triggered buying a monitor that's big for me. I'm sure there are plenty thinking "you don't want a bigger monitor or two bigger monitors?"

24" is about right to have two applications open and see them both at once without getting spacey - I'll get used to them and add a second identical monitor later...maybe.

Just so it's clear what "lay out flat means", the whole laptop is flat as a board and the screen is off/black so that it's not a distraction.

I have two smaller monitors at work - not an IT guy, but have noticed that screwing around with monitors and desk height at work seems to be a sport. Some people have three, some had two but requested two replaced by 1 and some have 1 smaller monitor. Oddly, the older the user, the smaller the monitor size and number. Maybe once we're past 45, if we're not power users, it's too much input at once.

None of us are working like an energy trader or someone would with several data streams of real time information that need to be observed.

How have I never heard of this? I wish I had the malice to take out the frustration that built up from my users back onto them, but alas I generally tried to just make everything work and keep everyone happy.

At a prior job, we had proprietary software that was the cause of problems about 5% of the time, and users about 95% of the time. I was lucky enough to be appointed the "local expert", which just means take the problems to someone in house first before sending them to the central IT group and programmers. But it was something to get credit for at work and replace some of the other nuisances laid on others.

Somewhere around 2 years into that, I would ask people "what are the odds....is this a software problem, or is the issue originating in the chair?"

Everyone would always say "it's definitely a problem with the software, there's a bug", and then I'd loudly announce "barb! (or whoever else)".

"what?"

"Software's fine...problem's in the chair!!!".

It was easier to get away with that because I wasn't "the IT guy", I was doing the same work as everyone else and the burden/deadlines were always tight. People were more than happy to trade some lampooning for getting project work done.

Somewhere around 2 years into that, I would ask people "what are the odds....is this a software problem, or is the issue originating in the chair?"
FYI, IT people use the acronym PEBKAC to inform eachother of the origins of such problems "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair" saves hurting feelings. We have a few others but I don't want to risk the IT tech's guild sending over someone to silence me before I give away all the trade secrets.

Glad to hear your issue is resolved, I always enjoyed the mystery problems the most so this was quite refreshing.

That's one of the terms that I used for the folks, but every time "what's pebkac". I read it on the internet and was happily not part of the IT crew back then as the IT group at my company generally dealt with half primadonnas 6-6 five days a week and often saturday.

.......and then they got outsourced, which I hated because I did have to work with them on some of the local system and server stuff. Not for me to touch the stuff, but to work with them to make sure it was configured and that there was a second person there (me) who could restart one of the servers. It was caged and locked, so they made me more or less a fancy version of a coat hanger to be able to reach the switches in it "not against the rules, only against the rules for you to have access to it!".

Nobody knew what pebkac meant, though, so I'd have to translate it. After some pondering and "Dave....is that going to mean something rude?"

"it means there's nothing wrong with the software, but the problem is with you!!".

hah. Most people got used to it and I'm sure they were trading me fixing their issues rather than figuring them out - like I said, we were all part of the same practice area so I could say things that an IT staff person couldn't get away with. 20 years later now, though....I don't know. Last continuing ed non-area specific thing I sat through was an HR consultant ...something like "What's professional in 2021?"

And I kid you not that the answer was zero humor at work - ever. "humor is risky, with anyone. you have evenings and weekends to joke with your friends and family. Avoid any humor at work".

Oddly, the older the user, the smaller the monitor size and number. Maybe once we're past 45, if we're not power users, it's too much input at once.
What about eyesight, that is only going one way past forty and I now use a pair of 27 inch prolite iiyama's which gives a nice big viewing area running 2560 by 1440 resolution. A big plus for any monitor is to have tilt, swivel and height adjustment so you can get that ideal viewing position and have a chance of keeping on top of any eyesight problems. What I find amusing these days is the different types of connectors, once you had either D type to D type or D type to five BNC's but now viewport is replacing HDMI and everything seems to be in a state of flux.

What about eyesight, that is only going one way past forty and I now use a pair of 27 inch prolite iiyama's which gives a nice big viewing area running 2560 by 1440 resolution. A big plus for any monitor is to have tilt, swivel and height adjustment so you can get that ideal viewing position and have a chance of keeping on top of any eyesight problems. What I find amusing these days is the different types of connectors, once you had either D type to D type or D type to five BNC's but now viewport is replacing HDMI and everything seems to be in a state of flux.

I think you mean DisplayPort? ViewPort is something else completely used in code by web developers to present sites correctly for various sizes of screen/window/phone etc.

You could add USB-C/Thunderbolt3 as a recent monitor connection method. I'm still impressed that using a docking station, I can drive two HDMI monitors + another DVI connected monitor, Ethernet, 3.5mm audio and six various spec. USB ports. It also charges my laptop. Only needs to use one USB-C/Thunderbolt3 port on the laptop.

Yes nothing is a simple choice these days, yes I meant Display port and in Qcad a viewport is an area of the drawing displayed at a different scale so as to show detail.

I’ve just skimmed through this thread so apologies if it has been clarified, but are these Macs/MacBooks?

Back