Tea Trolly - Finished at last - WIP pics added

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent. It looks like a lot of effort has gone into it.

Keith.

That's one of the best works in progress I've seen. Enough detail there to build my own. I like the steaming technique very much.

Jim

Brian

Thats a lovely trolly. The WIP pics are excellent. Bending wood laminations is something I have wanted to try for a while. Having seen your work, I might just give it a go.

Thanks for taking the time to share your project.

Bob

It might be worth pointing out that laminations of around 3mm thick (an eighth of an inch) in most woods, can be cold laminated (depends on the radius of curvature but can be surprisingly tight) with no need for steaming. I do leave such stuff in the form for 24 hours to ensure that the glue has properly set (there is a lot of glue involved in laminating!)

Wow! Yet another WIP thread that reads better, and gives more practical insight, than any book or magazine article I've ever read. Lovely project and great write-up. Many thanks for taking the time (which must have been considerable) to put this together.

I'd just like to thank everyone for your kind comments. I took the time to get the pictures right because I knew they are a requirement of this forum :D

I have not been a member for very long (September 2006) but I have gained an awful lot from being here, so I felt it only appropriate that I give a little back.

regards to all

Brian

Great project and super write up and photos!

Did you plane both sides of the laminations before the glue up? I laminated some oak for the back slats of a Morris Chair and planed both as I was in no mood to take a risk. I didn't steam them as the diameter wasn't tight at 36 inches.

Nice Work

Ted

Hi Ted,

Yes I did plane both sides before gluing. I think the slight twisting I got was because of the type of wood (mahogany). I've since read that this is not a suitable wood for steaming, being short grained and brittle so it is beginning to make sense to me now.

I don't fully understand all the aspects of this steaming business, perhaps if I knew before I started that I wasn't supposed to steam bend mahogany, I might not have done so, but, hey - it worked! :lol:

regards

Brian

Back