Table saw Crown Guard angle.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crown guards fitted to riving knife much less bother, safer and neater IMHO.
One of the functions of a crown guard is to reduce the risk of any kickback by preventing the timber being lifted . Timber binding is really only an issue in ripping but can happen when stresses in teh wood are released. If the crown guard is attached to the riving knife and the blade/knife are set correctly then the timber can only lift a small amount.
Using a free lifting guard there is nothing to stop the timber continuing to lift and as it does so the speed/force with which it will be kicked forward increases.
Using a separate crown guard opens up options of blind cutting such as trenches/ joints etc but I would rather have the crown guard locked in position rather than free moving

Using a free lifting guard there is nothing to stop the timber continuing to lift and as it does so the speed/force with which it will be kicked forward increases...
I think of it as the "slingshot effect". The blade picks up the workpiece and launches it at the speed of the blade rim rotation. Not possible with a riving knife fixed crown guard.

The SUVA guard looks worth further consideration.
Seems the lever might work some clever cam action system, but I suppose it could be some kind of detent either?
Kinda seems as handy as the somewhat self raising variety?
1690755193752.png
suva1.jpg

On Cosmas Bauer's YT channel, I see a Panhans guard which features the gas strut,
which would be a good use for some I've got knocking about, should they fit.

1690757570108.png

Would love to see what folks opinions are of the wheels, whether they might be an addition or not.
This Altendorf one below from the Manor wood channel seems like it might have some hidden tricks, as I've seen another guard for a slider, and it had detents of some sort.
Screenshot-2023-7-31 DIY Dust Hood and interesting Experiments - Table Saw Dust Collection.png

Last edited:
The SUVA guard looks worth consideration....
If you can afford one, and if you really need one, which is extremely unlikely.
The normal riving-knife crown guard is first choice - simple, safe, cheap etc.
The DIY versions we see are imitations, not SUVA approved and potentially dangerous.
https://www.suva.ch/en/download/doc...-and-standards-applied-to-machinery--CE93-1.EThe chap in the picture is not using push sticks which is risky and rather stupid. How can he get the workpiece past the blade without getting his fingers very close? Things have moved on.

Last edited:
Would love to see what folks opinions are of the wheels, whether they might be an addition or not.
This Altendorf one below from the Manor wood channel seems like it might have some hidden tricks, as I've seen another guard for a slider, and it had detents of some sort.
Another Heath Robinson contraption! Possibly the worst of a bad lot?
If you study the photo carefully you see that the blade is exposed and not enclosed by the guard. You could get your arm under it!
It's the perfect situation for a riving knife mounted crown guard. I think @Ttrees is taking the p**s!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back