Table/Panel Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielb

Established Member
Reaction score
Which type of table/panel saw would be best to cut Plywood?
Need a fast and accurate way to cut Plywood and was looking at the H4 Panel Saw but it costs a lot, not sure if there is anything else just as good but cheaper?

Daniel,

If you want to use a panel saw, then there's only one choice really. A high-end saw with sliding tables. So I'd say it depends on the size of your shop and the depth of your pockets.

I have access to a Felder so I don't think I'll be buying my own!

When I use sheet materials, I usually design so pieces can be cut from a standard 8 x 4 sheet, and I get the sawmill to cut to size for me. It's their Felder! But it's easy enough to make saw guides to rip sheets on trestles, as long as they are steady and the work is supported underneath, so the sheets can't fold and pinch the blade, when the cut parts through.

HTH

John :)

Never thought about getting the sheet materials cut to size, i just thought that would cost more in the long run than cutting the sheet materials down myself. Sizes is not a issue but i'll rather not waste money on something that is not needed or hardly used.

Daniel,

Not all sawmills cut for free, but I am pretty sure none of them charge the earth if they offer a cutting service.

Iffen you don't ask, then you don't get! :wink: (Having sheets cut to size saves carrying big sheets on a roof rack. If you can stuff material in the boot, the back of the car or through the ski-port!

Regards
John :D

Panel saw, with sliding table is the way to go if you want to save money on cutting service costs in the long run and also be able to cut your own accurately. I ordered a load of pre-cut MDF before from Mahoney's Birmingham and it was good but not all my sizes had been accuratley cut. SL Hardwoods also offer a cutting & delivery service, but have not used them myself as the quote I was offered seemed expensive.

Where are you from Daniel?

Sim,

Just a mile up the road from Mahoney's there is Great Barr Sawmills. Never had any trouble myself, and they cut for free. Although, I am usually present when the cutting is done.

John

Another option for more dedicated cutting sheet goods is one of those almost vertical wall mounting types. I've not used one and don't know the good brands/models, but have heard positive reports - especially when floor space is limited. You tend to see them in B&Q and places like that.

On the low volume/less frequent end a Festool hand saw and one of their long guide rails is another route in, albeit you need the means to set up square corners and the like. You also need a large flat surface covered in a sheet of foam or a cutting frame, or lots of well placed support blocks to avoid issues with the weight of the cut away piece breaking off near the end of a cut.

It takes a good saw and blade combination, ideally with a close fitting throat plate (the Festool rail incorporates this function) to deliver splinter free cuts in ply.....

John, when I ordered from Mahoneys, the solihull branch took care of it for me and it was a very large order of pre-cut mdf.

The vertical wall saws are very good to use and I can recommend the ELCON brand.

Ah well Sim...

I would never order that much MDF. I don't really like the stuff, but it is useful for oil-painting, and walking on.!

I considered using it for my kitchen cabinets, but decided I would be penny pinching. So I am going for 18mm WPB for the carcasses; as per Paul Levine.

That is, when I can find a builder I can trust, to knock the wall through into the utility room!

John :)

Back