Drawer bases and sides using the quarter-quarter technique on a router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmoose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I have seen a lot of UTube vids of the quarter-quarter technique and would really like to try it on a router table replicating a US dado type setup, but can't seem to find any info on a router bit that will do the drawer bases as well as the sides with the same bit:rolleyes:. Is this possible? If so which bit is the best bit, a simple slot cutting bit? The mitre locking bits don't seem to do the base as well. I am looking to make 12mm plywood drawers.

Its not a good technique for plywood as the Quarters will easily delaminate and fall off.
Better to have over long sides and a half depth housing for the back to fit into. How you do the front depends on whether you have applied fronts or not

Look at peter millard videos for best ways to make drawers.

Hi Myfordman, Thanks for replying, I had already looked at the Peter Millard Vids he seems to be either using a Domino or dowls and I wouldn't trust the dowls as they are just going into the ends of the Ply and as it is large understairs drawers that I am planning they could just pull out over time. Have you tried and failed with the quarter-quarter technique then? No offence, but I am surprised you say that it fails especially because so many skilled USA woodworkers use the technique!

It is a method I use regularly to make my drawer boxes, but I use a pair of saw blades like a dado set in my spindle moulder, rather than a router, I have had the quarter knocked off in the past, but only on ones that I was messing with and before they were glued, and depending on the drawers intended purpose I sometime pop some 5 mm domino's in for good measure and a bit of decoration.

I have linked to this in past, which relates to using different thickness boards:

Back