The bench mounted router stand, never seemed to have caught on?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Hello folks
Been wanting to do a few jobs with my tablesaw, fence abbutments and a flip down outfeed table
from some old box iron, and am wondering why not make the take off table a bit wider,
as I could utilize it for an outfeed table for an overhead bench mounted router stand setup.
I've only just started searching around for a good look at one, but not found a good video on one.

The closest thing I've seen, what's not the large overhead pin router machines, are folks using their pillar drill
table, what looks fairly awkward by comparison to the usual concealed router in a box/under a plinth setup.

I'd love to get a good look at one, just to see how much work might be involved,
like whether one needs rack and pinion etc, or tight fitting hefty 25 or 30mm rails with lockscrews
should something functional be possible to weld up.
The saw is on a wide base to accommodate the fence rail extensions, so possibilities endless regarding that .
Kinda thinking of this down the road, and would like to get the saw sorted first, practicality wise with a proper outfeed.
i.e much procrastination, whilst pondering what other uses for long lengths of very rusty box iron might be good for, quite a lot of stuff when I started thinking about it,
and figure tis worth salvaging from the elements.
I've got nearly as much as that again,and plenty of skinny rods so it wouldn't be wasteful.
SAM_8259.JPG

Thanks

Tom

Screenshot-2023-7-11 Advanced Routing by Roy Sutton.png

Last edited:
Mr Tree's..
u need a bigger shed........
if the box section is of reasonable size at least build a lean too......it can have canvas sides to keep the rain out.....
then there will be room to have a better bed for the dog......

I bought a 3 phase tiny pillar drill......23,000 max RPM....what to do with it.....?
At the mo use it at 1/2 speed for 2.5mm pilot holes.....

u mentioned making ur own o/h router frame,,,,
seen it somewhere where, not u tube, they used front shock absorber legs for the sliders.....
they are around 30mm dia and smooth running......

will use something similar when I make my router lift but on a much smaller scale

u mentioned making ur own o/h router frame,,,,
seen it somewhere where, not u tube, they used front shock absorber legs for the sliders.....
they are around 30mm dia and smooth running......

will use something similar when I make my router lift but on a much smaller scale
Planning on getting some more hefty steel for timber shelving @clogs, and after that, the half built Scandi bench needs retractable wheels too, so am working on reclaiming space in here.

Any hints of any such shed activity from outside would need to be disguised, which I've also being tapping away at occasionally, so I shall struggle on with things for now.
Keen to get shelving in here, as my TS fence/table wing material is being used to stack other timbers at the back.
Making good shelving for timber is a post in itself, which I haven't came across in the archives.

Interesting idea for the sliders, which if I'm not mistaken, might suggest quite the amount of
capacity!, which doesn't seem to me, to be the case with the machine in Roy's video.

Be interesting to know what you might have envisioned, and whether you or anyone else might value an outfeed also, not to mention the ability to keep an eye on a router compared to something getting hot and dusty hidden in a box.

Cheers
Tom

Seems the best results might be on google,
Found some folks using these for more specialized purposes like gunsmithing or
electric guitar pockets whilst searching for pin routers

routerforums.com .JPG

And perhaps something more akin to what I was thinking, just to see a basic idea of using the tablesaw fence.

Looks like there might be lots of hits if I kept looking, certainly seems worth the fine adjust now
that I've seen one or two.
The one below has quite a lot of throat depth, and I'm wondering how useful that might be,
as I've also got an overhead guard planned, so could perhaps have a two for one deal on that,
i.e not having to remove the contraption to slide the fence over,
hence my query regarding the outfeed table design.

There's also a VFD involved which has got to go somewhere, so lots of stuff to take into account.
Everything is pointing to a large column of some sort at the moment,
so I guess I have my answer already, and perhaps have enough confidence to plonk ahead with things, with some mock ups or whatnot.

Love to see some other examples of stuff whats not a pillar drill table job,
as my drill is in somewhat of a tight spot, and used for metalwork mainly.

Thanks
Tom

40c01d2dca3d9472960b65e3475bd2a2.jpg

Latest posts

Back