T squares advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ59

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it better to buy a T square or could I guarantee the accuracy of a home made one? I only have a small try square to get the angel right if I make my own.
The ones I have been looking at are £30 +

I would say if you have some well seasoned hardwood or quality ply then making one could be good. Setting the accuracy is actually simpler than you might think and won't require your small try square; by using the same technique to check any sort of square for "square". Find a known good straightedge - a factory made kitchen cabinet door for example - and set the square on it and draw a line on the inside and outside of the leg (I'm calling it leg - I have no idea what it's supposed to be called :)). Flip over the square and if the lines match up to the leg - it's square; and it'll be pretty obvious if it's not.

So, if it were I making it, I would set up the T with a nut and bolt as a central pivot and do the above until the leg sat inside both lines either normally or inverted, and once there, tighten the nut to hold the leg; I would then glue a couple of triangular stabilizing pieces either side of the top of the leg to stop it moving off square. (and just in case; I would make the top bar with flat "paddles" so that the square can be used either way - and it makes the setup much easier)

Hmmm.. you've got me thinking now - my framing square doesn't work for some things.. money and mouth time I think :)

An exact 90 degrees can be marked out easily with a 3 4 5 triangle or if easier using a 45 degree triangle (the hypotenuese is found by multplying one of the other sides by sq rt of 2). Of course you will need a board with one very straight edge.

If you want it for use with a drawing board the right-angle doesn't have to be that accurate as long as the edges of the T square and of the board, are straight.
They often aren't that accurate but you wouldn't know until you try a different T square with a slightly different degree of error.

Thanks for the replies guy's.
You've all answered my question, I'm going to make my own :)

Back