Straightening warped T square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyP

Established Member
Reaction score
I've acquired an old T square, similar to the type I used to use in TD at school.
As you can see it's a bit warped, any tips on how to straighten it?
I was thinking of soaking in water and clamping to my aluminium spirit level until dry. I could then refinish the edges on the router table and set the angle with a bit of Pythagoras.

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_124332.jpg
    IMG_20230712_124332.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230712_124317.jpg
    IMG_20230712_124317.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230712_124258.jpg
    IMG_20230712_124258.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230712_124232.jpg
    IMG_20230712_124232.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
With all due respect I think it’s a nice bit of nostalgia/ and will be sentimental to many myself included but I think it’s probably not worth the effort given the relative low cost of a modern day alternative. I could be wrong though and others may disagree.

With all due respect I think it’s a nice bit of nostalgia/ and will be sentimental to many myself included but I think it’s probably not worth the effort given the relative low cost of a modern day alternative. I could be wrong though and others may disagree.
Agreed on a practical note it's probably not worth it. However rather than just abandon it I thought I'd try and make use of it, and it'll keep me out of trouble for a couple of hours. 😁

Heat. I'd try wrapping it in alu foil and heating it with a domestic iron. Heat one side and keep feeling the other until it's too hot to touch. Once it's good and hot clamp it to a straight edge, or better still, an edge shimmed to slightly overcorrect the warp.

Leave it to cool and relax in clamps for a couple if days and see how it looks.

Agreed on a practical note it's probably not worth it. However rather than just abandon it I thought I'd try and make use of it, and it'll keep me out of trouble for a couple of hours. 😁
In which case steam is used to bend wood so no reason why it can’t be used to take out that warp and similar to the above get it clamped in between 2 straight pieces of straight ridged timber . Good luck 🤞

Back