Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Suitable paints for softwood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am getting around to a colour scheme for the drawers and cupboard doors in my shop. I want to use 'Tekaloid coach-enamel, (Because I have plenty of it here, of the right colour.) The trouble is, I want a an 'eggshell' finish. I thought I might get this if I used a dark green undercoat, mixed with just enough varnish to give it the smooth sheen, without the high-gloss.

Has anyone ever tried this? if not. I suppose I will experiment, but I thought I'd ask first.

I can buy paint with the right finish I know, but all the firms seem to shy away from the darker shades; which is what I'm after.

TIA

:D

Rob Platt

Established Member
Reaction score
Ask Tekaloid someone there might have an idea.
as i understand a lot of companies avoid the darker finishes because the colours are a lot less stable and susceptible to effects from sunlight
all the best
rob

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you Rob.

Maybe I'll just go for Matt-Green paint, with an application of Eggshell-varnish on top.

I am give to understand that in the motor industry, gloss finishes, as such, were never applied when finishing was done by hand. Apparently the body colour was always a matt finish, and the 'showroom-gleam' was obtained by finishing with multiple coats of varnish to get the gloss; after buffing of course.

Thanks again :D

P