Suggestions for a woodworking lathe tool set for a beginner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerJack_

Reaction score
Just got given an old Tyme Cub and after a couple of weeks of restoring, looking to buy some chisels but I’m overwhelmed by the options out there and would love some advice on a good beginner set. Good value for money is what I’m looking for.

I would like to be able to turn small bowls, cups, pots etc. as well as try my hand at pens.

Get a basic starters set. Something like this with one each of the basic chisels required.
Axminster Woodturning Tool Set | Axminster Tools International
Does not have to be that brand but it has all you need to get started. You will also need something like a bench grinder to sharpen them Later on when you get started and can sharpen them start getting other good quality chisels one by one as you need them. Sets are a good way to start off but after that start getting good stuff. Even if you get a bigger and better lathe later on the good chisels will still be of use. For pen turning you will need a pen mandrel but leave that until you have got the basics sorted.
Axminster Woodturning Pen Mandrels | Axminster Tools International
Regards
John

• Spindle Roughing Gouge. Only use on spindle work not bowls
  • Spindle gouge
  • Bowl gouge
  • Swept back grind bowl gouge (or fingernail)
  • Round nose scraper
These are the basics , Buy used saves lots of money from the usual places.

Get a basic starters set. Something like this with one each of the basic chisels required.
Axminster Woodturning Tool Set | Axminster Tools International
Does not have to be that brand but it has all you need to get started. You will also need something like a bench grinder to sharpen them Later on when you get started and can sharpen them start getting other good quality chisels one by one as you need them. Sets are a good way to start off but after that start getting good stuff. Even if you get a bigger and better lathe later on the good chisels will still be of use. For pen turning you will need a pen mandrel but leave that until you have got the basics sorted.
Axminster Woodturning Pen Mandrels | Axminster Tools International
Regards
John
Thanks for the reply, I’m looking at this set Faithful hss set as it’s a similar price and has a box. I’m in a situation where I can learn to sharpen as I am already in a fully kitted workshop so that’s not an issue. I’ve just seen differing opinions on what’s good for beginner turners.

• Swept back grind bowl gouge (or fingernail)
That's hardly a basic tool. I'd been turning for decades before I bought one. They're also not an easy tool for the inexperienced to sharpen or use.

More usefully;
A parting tool.
A 3/8" beading and parting tool.

Both the above were tools I bought when I first started 35yrs ago and have had regular use ever since.

^ You won't get far spindle turning without one.

The five tools on all lathes at the club were a roughing gouge, a spindle gouge, a bowl gouge, a skew chisel and a parting tool. They were reckoned to cover 90% of all turning. That's as good a starting point as any.

If you're thinking about fingernail grinds etc. that's more to do with the grinding equipment you have than the tool itself.

Thanks for the reply, I’m looking at this set Faithful hss set as it’s a similar price and has a box. I’m in a situation where I can learn to sharpen as I am already in a fully kitted workshop so that’s not an issue. I’ve just seen differing opinions on what’s good for beginner turners.
That would do to get you started. Get going and get to grips with sharpening turning tools then move up. Better learning sharpening on those than grinding away really expensive steel. Get a copy of this book too.

Woodturning by Keith Rowley | A Foundation Course: New Edition | 9781784945671 | Booktopia
Got me and a whole lot of others started in turning.
Regards
John

The Faithfull set is a poorly chosen set in my view. Two scrapers, two spindle roughing gouges, and two skew chisels (one of each is adequate to start off) but no bowl gouges.
Phil's five, above, is good; perhaps plus a scraper and you'll be in a position to try most things.
Duncan

That's hardly a basic tool. I'd been turning for decades before I bought one. They're also not an easy tool for the inexperienced to sharpen or use.

More usefully;
A parting tool.
A 3/8" beading and parting tool.

Both the above were tools I bought when I first started 35yrs ago and have had regular use ever sinceGunger

Ginger Jack asked for opinions , I gave mine . 35 years turning , You are getting the hang of it now then.
Must be around 40 for me

"Beginner" being the operative word. Rhossydd was correct.
We can all say what we prefer but the op was asking for advice on very basic tools. Incidentally, I have been turning since I was 13, I'm 70 and I've never used a beading and parting tool.

I would like to be able to turn small bowls, cups, pots etc. as well as try my hand at pens.

I would buy single tools rather than a set.
I had no interest in spindle turning when I started, so my first tools were a 3/8" bowl gouge and a parting tool. A scraper is easy to use and you'll probably want one for your bowls and your pens until you develop the skill not to need it or not so much.
I added both 1/4" and 1/2" bowl gouges but the 3/8" was the one I used most on a similar sized lathe to yours.
A skew chisel is an important tool to learn for spindle work. You'll need that for pen turning as soon as you progress beyond the very basic scraper plus sandpaper technique.

:LOL: I turn pens and I've never used a skew on one, and very, very rarely a scraper.- I use a 3/8" spindle gouge.

Many of my tools are bought unhandled or have been rehandled by choice. I much prefer tools with noticeably different sizes and designs of handles - that goes for woodworking chisels as well.

My advice would be to start on some spindle work before venturing into cross grain work like bowls.
I’d therefore suggest a spindle rouging gouge, 10mm spindle gouge and a parting tool.

I’d also look at joining a local club if you can, someone might have some tools you could buy. Some new members at my club were recently gifted a few tools to get them started. Clubs are often a good source for native timbers at good prices as well. Good luck with your journey.

The Faithfull set is a poorly chosen set in my view. Two scrapers, two spindle roughing gouges, and two skew chisels (one of each is adequate to start off) but no bowl gouges.
Phil's five, above, is good; perhaps plus a scraper and you'll be in a position to try most things.
Duncan
Well spotted I should have taken a closer look at what the set contained. I saw HS steel and thought yep OK.
I am still in favour of starting out with a set of the basic tools. Brand does not matter all that much as long as it has a roughing gouge, spindle gouge, bowl gouge, parting tool, skew, and scraper.
Regards
John

These look like good value, and look very similar, if not identical to the Axminster branded set I picked second hand for a similar price.
There is an RDG tools 5% discount code somewhere on this site if you search for it.
If I was starting from scratch again I would buy these
https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog...t-wood-turning-skew-gouge-parting--87576.html
Thats pretty much like the set I started out with. The oval skew I never could get to grips with and I still have it sitting in a corner someplace. I hear some like them so who knows. I did get a regular old tool steel skew with my first secondhand lathe so have used it ever since. Just have to take care not to over heat it on the grinder.
Regards
John

Back