stupid purchases.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MickCheese":3uqbyt2j said:
Are you being serious or have you missed out the smilie?

Mick

No, I didn't miss a smilie, I was being serious.

A bit too serious for me, some people really need to lighten up!

Mick

Maybe, but it's not exactly a constructive woodworking statement to equate the purchase of a tool to a person's intelligence is it? What's the difference if you buy or make?

monkeybiter":oyxol0oe said:
On the other hand they would be an ideal term starter project for all the kids in the class, 'make your own bench hook', then use it.

That sounds like a brilliant project, what could be more exciting?

Aidan

I am not to sure how to answer this,as someone who in the past must have made tens of thousands of them. :? (We supply schools).

Most are used in classrooms for light cutting of balsa, dowel and plastic rod, for science and craft projects, as opposed to full blown wood work.

Chris.

Scouse":3ayhb4w0 said:
MickCheese":3ayhb4w0 said:
Are you being serious or have you missed out the smilie?

Mick

No, I didn't miss a smilie, I was being serious.

A bit too serious for me, some people really need to lighten up!

Mick

Maybe, but it's not exactly a constructive woodworking statement to equate the purchase of a tool to a person's intelligence is it? What's the difference if you buy or make?

My point is, this was probably an off the cuff comment that with hindsight maybe could have been put better, this is the problem with life in general now, every word spoken is taken at face value, scrutinised and adjudged to be said with the worst possible meaning when in fact, on this board, it is just a minor comment provided for our entertainment and to provoke a discussion.

If nobody posted and there were no new threads we would all leave. Sometime the less serious threads can be quite funny, I find the back biting on these threads keep me amused as I get an insight into others world and how they live the perfect life.

Have a nice day.

Mick

=D> =D> Thank you! I was talking about making a disposable item from scrap that would have gone on the stove. I was not talking about mass production. Someone has to have an interest in woodworking to need a bench hook in the first place. An Axminster one is £9.35 - mine took 5mins (max) to make : to earn that I would have to earn a top line wage of about £1/3M.
...........and yes I know that figure is inaccurate, before a bean counter posts to correct me.
Once again, thanks Mick.

phil.p":2uhjxgxa said:
=D> =D> Thank you! I was talking about making a disposable item from scrap that would have gone on the stove. I was not talking about mass production. Someone has to have an interest in woodworking to need a bench hook in the first place. An Axminster one is £9.35 - mine took 5mins (max) to make : to earn that I would have to earn a top line wage of about £1/3M.
...........and yes I know that figure is inaccurate, before a bean counter posts to correct me.
Once again, thanks Mick.

Somebody give that lad a pat on the back!!! =D> =D>

I see what you mean Phil. But it's the kind of Bench Hook that isn't going to move.

Neither is the one someone made for me at Christmas. Solid as a rock. And I could plane against it too without any worries. It replaced the very basic hook I made years ago, so I've never bought one either. :D

EssexChris":356uxuvo said:
Most are used in classrooms for light cutting of balsa, dowel and plastic rod, for science and craft projects, as opposed to full blown wood work.

The main use of bench hooks I saw in school (where we admittedly only had very basic woodwork classes) was actually in the art department, for holding a block of lino while carving it out for printing. That was also the reason I made my own bench hook, well before I did any more-serious inside-the-house woodworking. As it happened I had the required tools for general DIY stuff, so it did take me five minutes and I could make it out of scrap and spares that were around the garage already, but I imagine that a lot of lino printers and the like probably don't have any such things and would need to buy one!

Never bought a bench hook myself, but I can think of far stupider purchases. After all, at least a bench hook is useful. :D

Hmm, now where to begin :?: Over to you, folks!

Oh yes, and before anybody says 'Record 075 bullnose plane', I bought mine for £5 and it earns its keep!

Bech hooks are one thing but the thing that really makes me wonder is when people buy push sticks. All you need is some 1x1, doesn't even have to be hard wood, with a notch at the end, and yet they are sold on most tool websites!!?

Richard

Shall we start on router-table Feather-boards now? They are simple to make too. And with rare earth magnets we don't even need to clamp them down these days. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just out of interest, how does your standard bench hook work when using the Japanese style cut-on-the-pull-stroke saw? Does one have to use the back edge of the bench?

Just about anything can be made at home. Why buy a bench hook? Why buy a workbench when there are trees around? Why buy planes when there are strill trees around after making the bench? Why buy chisels when there are old leaf springs and horse drawn hay rakes at the scrapyard? Why buy those leaf springs as you can smelt some local iron ore using local charcoal and start from that........... With a little skill and the right mindset anyone can set up an entire hand tool workshop including the building from 98% local raw materials refined and worked at home.

It is all a matter of time versus money but as far as I know there are a few things that are almost always worth making. For instance bench hooks.

Hi, John

I have a square of birch ply screwed to the front edge of my bench at the right hand end, the screw is off set so I can rotate it round so it sticks up about 5mm above the bench top.

Pete

John Brown":590gwk3l said:
Just out of interest, how does your standard bench hook work when using the Japanese style cut-on-the-pull-stroke saw? Does one have to use the back edge of the bench?

I've seen a few people set the fence on the bench hook about 4" or so back from the far edge, so that they can put the workpiece on the far side of the fence for pull saws, and on the near side for push saws.

Back