stupid purchases.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose if you have a reasonably deep well in the bench, just reverse the hook?
But if you're used to a right-handed bench hook, with a piece cut off the end of the fence, you'd have to reduce the fence at the other side, and make it ambidextrous! :?:

Oh the Heck with it.
I'll design one! Specially for Japanese pull-cut saws. 8)

Racers":3vrkimlq said:
Hi, John

I have a square of birch ply screwed to the front edge of my bench at the right hand end, the screw is off set so I can rotate it round so it sticks up about 5mm above the bench top.

Pete

Simply brilliant =D>

monkeybiter":28wun0ku said:
Racers":28wun0ku said:
Hi, John

I have a square of birch ply screwed to the front edge of my bench at the right hand end, the screw is off set so I can rotate it round so it sticks up about 5mm above the bench top.

Pete

Simply brilliant =D>

Yep... Agreed.

I think Frank Klausz uses something similar on the right hand end of his bench, just beyond the tail-vice. Good Wheeze! :)

I made a bench hook wrong....by screwing down the 'depth' of the vertical bits!.... (in my defence, all I had was scrap wood, long screws and the holes were partly there anyway, because they had dowels in them before).
It still works, though :)

Unfortunately, i hadn't learnt my lesson, because i nearly did the same thing trying to make a mitre box....doh!

have got a lovely little bench hook from a bootsale, 1 piece of hardwood, 2 inches long..but 'triangular'; for the life of me I can't work out why.... anyone got any ideas?

John Brown":2jcc1g8j said:
Just out of interest, how does your standard bench hook work when using the Japanese style cut-on-the-pull-stroke saw? Does one have to use the back edge of the bench?
I use mine in the normal way with a Japanese saw, works fine...no need to use the back edge - Rob

I suppose in general, those of a mind to use a bench hook are also likely to be able to make one. Same with green wood work stuff - I've never seen a commercially made pole lathe but either LN or LV offered a shave horse a while back; I can't imagine they sold many.

custard":3a586tnv said:
You could also ask why anyone of average intelligence would make a chair when they're so cheap at Ikea?

And ditto for many other items - I suspect Ikea (and other of its ilk) sell furniture cheaper than the rest of us can buy timber.

A pro-chippy of my aquaintance, with his own extensive workshop, was installing a new kitchen in his own cottage. Some research revealed that he could BUY good grade factory carcases cheaper than he could buy the timber to make his own. Not being a masochist he just made (very nice...) doors and drawer fronts.

BugBear

bugbear":2ob3yb01 said:
custard":2ob3yb01 said:
You could also ask why anyone of average intelligence would make a chair when they're so cheap at Ikea?

And ditto for many other items - I suspect Ikea (and other of its ilk) sell furniture cheaper than the rest of us can buy timber.

A pro-chippy of my aquaintance, with his own extensive workshop, was installing a new kitchen in his own cottage. Some research revealed that he could BUY good grade factory carcases cheaper than he could buy the timber to make his own. Not being a masochist he just made (very nice...) doors and drawer fronts.

BugBear
...and that I think is often the case. The salient point is that by making his own fronts and drawers, he can make them 'bespoke' so that they wouldn't be anything like 'normal' factory made units - Rob

Back