Stuck threads on Record 405

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheffield Tony":2og0xmhs said:
Could try a stud extractor, if it is already loose it might work; but maybe the end of the thread is damaged which was what prevented it unscrewing in the first place.

This is exactly what occured to me in the last 10 minutes head scratching session. Will report back later.

I wouldn't have thought the hex bolt would be much of an issue - famous last words maybe!

Sadly the patient didn't survive. I started with the smallest stud extractor, various penetrating fluids, heat. The extractor just kept being pulled straight through and jamming into the cam steady itself. I upped the game to a bigger extractor, same deal. Finally, with a brake fluid soak of 12hrs, I used one that only just fitted. Yes it was do or die. It died :(

I've added an ebay search in the vague hope that one will turn up one day if for no other reason than for the set to be complete, as I bear in mind the advice that it's probably rarely used anyway!

4 bolts seized.

Final score:
Simon 3 - Bolts 1

IMG_0004.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 324
A search for completed listings shows one Record and one Stanley, each sold for single bid of £8 +p&p. So you could be lucky.

AndyT":13arctq7 said:
A search for completed listings shows one Record and one Stanley, each sold for single bid of £8 +p&p. So you could be lucky.

Thanks! How did you do that?! I can see that coming in handy in future?

Open any ebay page and look at the Search box - alongside, at the right hand corner, there is "Advanced".

Click on this, and you get a whole world of extra search options including "sold listings".

Extremely useful.

Martin.

Latest posts

Back