Ash Coffee Table - Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been putting this off since late last year but with some time off work and a stack of timber that's been consuming space in my bedroom since October I decided to get on with it. My mum's "brief" was that it should be 900mm x 600mm in size with a lower shelf and made in ash to suit the rest of our living room furniture. Apart from that, I'm free to explore a little. :wink: English ash was the material of choice, with thanks to Interesting Timbers.

2562120606_d3f20c65e4.jpg

After preparing and cutting to length of the timber for the four 45mm square legs and all upper and lower rails...

2561406515_2773b311f9.jpg

I marked out all the mortices for the leg and began cutting with a 5/16" Japanese chisel (about 8mm).

2561295467_592f6b9e70.jpg

These mortices were then cleaned up with a mallet and various chisels. I'm not sure how clear it is from this photo but both sets of mortices are offset from one another... I've designed this so that the upper rails will finish 3mm short of the face or the legs while the lower rails are set back 6mm, allowing for a 3mm overhang from the shelf. :wink:

2562121520_d76253952c.jpg

Next job was to cut the tenons then to fit the mortices. These were done using my preferred method for 1" thick stuff; Steve Maskery's router table jig.

2561440257_9f461f0bfe.jpg

Haunches were then cut in to the upper rails on the bandsaw before routing 3/8" wide x 7mm deep grooves in to each rail to take the buttons that'll later be used to fix the top and shelf. I've noticed some people prefer on 6mm thick tenons, but I tend to stick with half and half...

2561432297_e03be56df3.jpg

After cutting the tenons to length and mitring the ends on my mitre saw, here you can see the finished results.

2562266624_32b36acd6b.jpg

...I should make it clear that I ran in to a little trouble when routing the tenons on my table... When I built the jig I made the unfortunate mistake of placing a screw in line with where the cutter would be doing it's work, but behind the fence. It wasn't necessary for me to rout this far past the fence but something when 'bang' when I did and it made a mess of my 7/8" cutter (fortunately, I rarely use it anyway).

2561431761_8449cd4bd0.jpg

Here's the offending screw: :?

2561433331_fa92eac861.jpg

At this point, I wasn't sure if the walnut-idea was really going to work, but I have persevered and I later come to like it with the shelf in place.

2561293937_8545aa7bda.jpg

After going through a couple of dry-runs I gave all components for the two ends of the frame work a good clean up and two coats of Osmo Polyx Oil, Clear Satin, which I was using for the first time. Must say that I'm very impressed with this finish all around. :)

2562260220_dd1e7f8db2.jpg

While I left the glue to set on the two ends I began working on the timber for the shelf. I dry assembly of all frame components gave me the dimensions for this, taking in to account that I wanted it set-back 3mm from the outside face of the legs all round.

So, I cut some boards out and planed them all up, looking to make the shelf from five boards for stability, only to realise that I'd somehow gotten my maths wrong and was 45mm short! :oops: I managed to get around this by adding two more boards to the pile and ripping a couple of others down to compensate (this did mean I could lose some of the straight-grain and utilise figuring). I ran all boards through the thicknesser at 21.5mm to ensure they were all of uniform thickness.

2562259328_8e98ae896a.jpg

2562259508_ac04bd0b35.jpg

After the glue up with no.10 biscuits (I was out of 20's and mistakenly ordered another 100 10's! :roll:) I realised something had gone wrong somewhere and that there was a slight 'kink' or dip in the panel. It may be that I over-tightened the cramps... With a little planing and some random orbit sanding though, I was able to get most of it out and I've kept my fingers crossed that the screws might pull it down tight... :oops:

After cross-cutting it to length with my circular saw jig...

2562259836_3ba8c7bed2.jpg

And ripping it to width a router and flush-trimming bit...

2562259130_56f81d4ae4.jpg

I was ready to mark out and cut the notches on my bandsaw before final assembly of the frame. The shelf has to go in at the same time, otherwise, quite simply... It's not going to fit! :shock: :wink:

2561296117_f5cf32d526.jpg

I had to rush out and buy a few more sash cramps in order to get this done though; the 900mm cheap Record cramps have an actual capacity of less than 900mm. I'm quite fond of these Silverline ones though which cost a little bit extra. They seem like good value for money.

2562344836_579f9f5b9c.jpg

Before applying the cramps I stuck a few scraps of ply in place with some double-sided tape - there's a nice tip for you, next time you glue up! :D

2561431635_d9507540b7.jpg

I did encounter some dents in the timber after planing the rail edges by hand before applying the oil. Turns out a small dead knot in my softwood vice jaws was to blame! :roll: I drop of water and a few minutes with an iron was all it took to clear this up though. :)

2562258694_09aa55bbab.jpg

While that was left to set then, I decided it would be a good idea to begin work on the top. Before that though, I got to work on improving my morticer fence (which you can see in another thread) as I was planning to accurately chop long mortices in to some breaboard ends. Meanwhile, the timber had been cut oversize and left to 'settle' in-stick with plenty of spare near by, just in case...

2562259678_26d3618c09.jpg

We've approached the point in this project of where I am not very proud of myself. I realised before planing this next batch of timber up that the knives on my machine had somehow shifted out of alignment. I made a half-a**ed attempt at re-setting thinking it would be okay to simply adjust the fence where necessary to compensate for any out-of-square cuts. To some extent, I was right in thinking like this... On the other, I am using a combined planer AND thicknessing machine - so, if the blades are out on the top then they're definitely not gonna be parallel to the thicknessing bed, are they!! :x

After a couple of hours work then, I ended up with a pile of timber that wasn't perfectly square at the edges and they were also in fact very slightly tapered looking at the thickness of each board. This made for a reasonably difficult glue-up, even with no.20 biscuits, but at least I always prepare my timber at least 1mm wider than it needs to be.

2562366076_f4ea16bb8b.jpg

After a couple of hours yesterday with my Veritas bevel-up smoothing plane going both straight and diagonally across the grain, followed by some time with my Metabo ROS, I managed to get a satisfactory level of flatness with a finish about 21mm thick. Although, it felt like I'd removed an awful lot more than 1mm by the time I was done in that sweltering heat! :shock: :wink:

I prepared the breaboards from straight-grained stuff to a finished thickness of 22.5mm, meaning I'd have excess to plane off once the boards were fitted. With my new morticing jig complete, I could safely chop out the 5/16" wide mortices for the three tenons and two haunches which you'll see in a moment...

2562121666_6f3b817e8c.jpg

To cut the tenons on the end of the breadboards, I have intended to use the parallel fence with my router - but, unfortunately, with the wooden fence extension fitted, the bars were 15mm short of being clamped, so I had to use an alternative method with a straightedge. This didn't go quite as according to plane and it left me with a bit of work to do with a shoulder plane to tidy up after.

2561590719_01472cc2b2.jpg

Continuing my use of hand tools for the weekend then, I cut these out using a tenon and coping saw. Needless to say, they are indeed a bit wonky - but who's gonna see them! :wink: :D

2562120050_b84771d976.jpg

After fitting the breadboards I was able to mark out for the dowel which I will use to draw-bore the joint for a tight fit. I used sash cramps to pull the joint up tight, relieved the pressure and then marked a holes through the breadboards using a 1/2" forstner bit. Then, it was a case of moving the centre points back 1mm toward the shoulder lines and elongating the two outside holes.

2562119606_2c65f5cac0.jpg

Last thing I managed to do today then was to "turn" some 1/2" diameter dowels from American Black Walnut using a 1/4" round-over cutter in my router table. The finises result isn't quite perfect but the fit is very good.

2562119380_f76aa3d845.jpg

I suffered some problems with tearout as I was hand-planing the top (yes, I got a bit carried away... :shock: ) and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a way to get over this, without removing more material? Can I steam out with water and an iron?

2561293323_82073c39e6.jpg

My apologies for making this first post so bleedin' long - it's my own fault for not starting something and coming back to it sooner! :roll:

Thanks for looking anyway, I hope you enjoy it. :? :)

looks great so far olly, keen to see how it progresses

paul

OPJ":3p0k5qg4 said:
I suffered some problems with tearout as I was hand-planing the top (yes, I got a bit carried away... :shock: ) and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a way to get over this, without removing more material? Can I steam out with water and an iron?

That's looking good, Olly, and the pictures are great. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about tear-out, other than filling or patching (which you probably don't want to do) because wood has been removed. For the future, the best ways to avoid tear-out are:

1. Use a very sharp, finely set blade and a very close mouth on your plane;

2. Increase the effective pitch of the blade by honing a back bevel; or

3. Using a scraper (card scraper, #80 style scraper or scraper plane).

Which method works best depends on the particular piece of wood - they all work with varying degrees of success, with the scraper being probably the most foolproof method. It's worth practicing on odd pieces of wood in order to learn the techniques for when you come up against these situations.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Looking good Olly - regards that tearout the only thing I've found that will really address that is a card scraper or a no 80 style (depending on how deep it is). You may be able to blend it in with the rest of the top - otherwise is a filler job I suspect.

I always have a problem with tearout in ash for some reason. It seems very susceptible to it.

Cheers Mike

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. :)

Paul, you're right, I want to avoid using filler at all costs! :shock: I do own a set of Veritas cabinet scrapers and also one of their holding jigs but I don't think I've quite got the hang of working a burr on the edge... I seem to end up with one burr on each edge, instead of two! :?

I'll have another go with the burnisher and play with some scrap pieces later but I'm reluctant to remove too much timber as I intend to rout some 1/8" grooves (no more than 2mm deep) for a simple walnut inlay. :wink:

I need to glue the breadboards on later today though - I assume I only need to glue the central dowel in place to allow the top to expand and contract?

Tricky that Ash. I also had lots of tearout problems. Indeed I got round it with scrapers. But it's not easy. Lots of work. Oh and getting the burr is simple when you know how, just persevere. It's a light bulb moment. You want a small burr. A Big one will just break.

Looking good so far. I'm starting to miss my workshop.

That's looking very promising Olly - not sure I understand about that screw incident, do you mean you left it on the router table, or that is came loose?

I think the Ash and Walnut will work very well

Tony, to secure the fence on the jig I put a screw in a place that was going to be too close to the cutter. I should have realised it was going to happen sooner or later! :oops:

I'll take a photograph of the underside of the jig as well, so you can see what I mean. When you see that, you'll also wonder why I felt it was necessary to feed the workpiece so far past the cutter anyway. :roll: :)

OPJ":2gas78vz said:
Paul, you're right, I want to avoid using filler at all costs! :shock: I do own a set of Veritas cabinet scrapers and also one of their holding jigs but I don't think I've quite got the hang of working a burr on the edge... I seem to end up with one burr on each edge, instead of two! :?

I wouldn't worry too much about the tear-out, Olly. One of the nice things about using open-grained woods like Ash and Oak is that they can take everyday dings and knocks without it mattering too much - if anything they add to the character and lived-in feeling of the piece.

From your picture, the tear-out doesn't look too bad. I'd be inclined to just smooth off any sharp bits that might snag on a polishing cloth and leave it at that. If you do too much to it you might end up with a rather obvious hollow, which could look worse.

I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I'll post up some pictures later of how I go about sharpening a scraper - I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it.

Paul

Olly, here's how I sharpen a scraper - the Veritas #80 type (excellent and very easy to use)

Hone the edge to 45 degrees, getting it really sharp. Place the blade on a piece of MDF, bevel down and burnish the flat side with the burnisher dead flat on the blade - this work-hardens it

Scraper8.jpg

Turn the blade over and start burnishing the bevel. Start with the burnisher completely on the bevel and take about 6 strokes, then gradually angle the burnisher downwards to form the hook. Don't press too hard.

Scraper9.jpg

You should be able to feel the hook when you run your finger over the back of the blade. It feels similar to the burr you get when you hone a blade. You dont want too big a hook as it would be weak.

Put the blade back in the scraper with it on a level surface so that the blade is flush with the sole

Scraper10.jpg

Adjust the screw slightly to bow the blade

Scraper11.jpg

You should now get nice, silky shavings with no tear-out and the scraper will "sing" as it cuts

Scraper13.jpg

Hope this helps.

Paul

Looking at the last pic, if it's tear-out it won't steam. This technique will only work where the fibres are bruised or depressed, if they're cut (as these appear to be) then steaming will have little or no effect...best to gently scrape the surface as Paul suggests - Rob

Thanks very much for the photo's, Paul. I actually use what you would probably call a card scraper (?) but I can see how many of the techniques you've shown still apply. The points you make on not forming too large a hook and not pressing to hard; I think that's where I've mainly been going wrong as I usually find it starts cutting great but very quickly loses its edge. :oops: :)

Thanks again for your help Paul. :) I found my thickest gauge card scraper today and gave that a good sharpening. As you'll see a bit later in this post, the tool is now performing much better. :wink:

Tony, with regards to the screw incident, on the underside of the jig you can quite clearly see the sacrificial scrap of softwood to prevent spelching but behind that you can just see the length of oak fence. Inside one of those big scollops, there used to be a screw.... :)

Tusses, you asked what the other side is like... And I wish you hadn't! :oops: Tearout was much worse on this side and I also found that a couple of the boards were much darker, as you'll see in these first two photo's. The worst of it happened on the planer; I just couldn't avoid it. But, with one good face achieved, I was happy enough to use it this time. :)

2567977223_c741746b5c.jpg

No amount of planing or scraping was gonna save this board without a considerable loss of thickness to the top! Actually, I think this next shot was down to my hand-work with a plane, rather than a machine... :? :shock: :wink: I should've photographed the end of the board where it really went to pieces - most of which was lost with the tenons though.

2568801522_17940fa4d3.jpg

With all the dowels cut and everything ready to go I set about fixing the breadboards. After a bit of Googling and found it is important to ONLY glue the central tenon and dowel, to allow the rest of the top boards to expand and contract as necessary.

2568796652_798e942c85.jpg

Although the draw-boring technique should require "no cramps", I did require an extra couple of helping hands to ensure the dowels went in straight and everything was okay. Yes, you can see I clearly drilled one hole in the wrong place...

2568796390_54844a673a.jpg

But a 1/2" plug cutter and an offcut of ash from the same board came to the rescue. :)

2568797086_fda9e1c17a.jpg

After ruining the blade for my cheap Irwin flush-cut pull saw a few months ago, I had to resort to other measures when it came to trimming the dowels as it seems neither Screfix or Toolstation sell replacement blades anymore...? :shock: A nice new hacksaw blade and some plastic to protect the sufrace worked well...

2567976773_c440e709e2.jpg

Before I took my cheap Record block plane and finished the dowels off flush with the surface.

2568801014_f365402120.jpg

Then I could break out my wonderful Veritas bevel-up smoothing plane - I couldn't possibly say a single bad word about this tool! :D It made light work of trimming the breadboads flush with the rest of the top without even a hint of tearout. No problem planing straight over the dowels either, as I was quite impressed to find.

2567977003_3f177f0c8e.jpg

As I mentioned briefly at the start of this post, thanks to Paul Chapman's advice I've been getting the best out of my card scrapers! :wink: :D

2567977129_77841fb201.jpg

...But of course, I couldn't do any of the above until the glue had gone off! :roll: So, in the meantime, I spent most of the afternoon yesterday machining up a load of buttons from scrap timber...

2568796828_bf49dd5cfb.jpg

Amongst all these odds and sods I did notice a couple of fairly large "bore holes" in the bark, though I doubt I have anything to worry about as the rest of the timber is clean.

2568796524_ba198f5983.jpg

I estimated that I'd need 28 buttons minimum, so I made those and a few more... And another batch for future projects after I took this photograph! :wink: After face and edging, I ripped all the timber down and ran it through the thicknesser to a finished size of 25mmx18mm. I squared up each end of each length on the bandsaw and then moved over to the pillar drill. After drilling both ends, I moved on to the router table to cut a 6mm long x 9.5mm notch or "bare-faced tenon" to sit in the 7mm deep grooves. Once this was done, I returned to the bandsaw and cut each end of at 36mm long using a short fence and it was time to start all over again.

In the past, I've tried working with a wider board and cutting them out individually after. I much prefer the single length, double-ended method as there's less sanding involved and you can use repetition stops on the pillar drill.

2568796722_af3edf8bbb.jpg

Back to the top then...

With everything nice and clean and a good sanding with my random orbit sander I was ready to start working on the inlay. Actually, I think it's what's more commonly referred to as "stringing"...?

Using a 1/8" cutter from Wealden and routing to a final depth of about 3mm in two passes, I use the side fence to first cut long grooves and then a couple of cramps and a straightedge to do the cross-grain housings, making sure that they were parallel to the inside edge of the breadboards as I will still need to clean up the outer edge. The grooves start 50mm in from all edges, which I think looks quite good.

2568796974_7936ef5033.jpg

Being vary weary of the fact that even the slightest knock or slip with the router could have an almost devastating effect on my work, I'm very pleased to say that this process went fine without any trouble whatsoever. All that's left to do is square and tidy up the corners a little.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for my timber selection. I have a couple of 7ft lengths of walnut left over, some of which I was intending to use for the stringing. I gave the two boards a good looking over to find the most suitable grain (...), cut of a length at 760mm and began planing. It was at this point that I realised this timber wasn't up to the job of providing a contrast - just look at the amount of sapwood in this next photo! :shock: :x

2567977479_18919a4087.jpg

The rest of this same board is like it as well. Although it does seem to be darker on only one side, the grain's going all over the place. With the second length, the grain's even worse - a very small trace of sapwood but not fit for this task, I'm sorry to say.

So, I'm not entirely sure as to what my next move will be... I could run down to Yandles and have a rummage around for something dark, perhaps almost black, like wenge. Or, I could see if someone like Original Marquetry stock anything that will do the job - although, I quite fancy having a go at making my own. Then again, anything I do buy will have to be stacked and dried again anyway... :( I'll have a sniff around the college on Thursday and see if there's anything going to waste that I can sneak out the back door... :-$ :wink:

Whatever path I choose to take next, I've learned a valuable lesson on buying American Black Walnut. I found it incredibly to spot the sapwood until I ran it over my planer. I'll have to take a block plane with me next time and make sure. One of my tutor's is very adamant that paying for a full-width board of walnut at a price that includes the sapwood is not acceptable. :)

That's looking good, Olly. Pleased to see that you got the scraper working well. I've only got into scrapers over the past year but wish I'd started using them years ago. So simple yet so effective.

Paul

Back