Stuck tailstock help needed- SIP 01936 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the above lathe second hand and have turned a couple of bowls. When I have tried to spindle turn I have noticed the Tailstock won't extend out - so if I turn the wheel it moves a but it but the tailstock won't come out it secure the wood. I have tried WD40 and a 'persuader' to no effect. I wonder if anyone had any tips? I have taken the wheel off at the end and tried persuading and wd40 but again no difference.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpeg
    IMG_1651.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1652.jpeg
    IMG_1652.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Hi Rob, apologies if this sounds too obvious but have you slackened off the tailstock locking screw?

Hi Rob, apologies if this sounds too obvious but have you slackened off the tailstock locking screw?
Do you mean the black handle in the photo going up vertically as I have loosened this fully? Nothing is too obvious as ages since I tried woodturning so I will be making loads of school boy errors!

Yes, in the first photo. On my lathe the thread on this got stuck so the handle turned but the tailstock was not released. I had to get molegrips on the threaded shaft to free it.

There is a manual here:

https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net/documents/01936 Manual.pdf
Exploded diagram on page 6.

Rodpr is referring to part 26 on that diagram. Remove it altogether.

With screw 2 and handle 34 removed as your picture shows, the whole tailstock barrel should slide out of the front with more or less force on the projecing part in your second photo (which is the end of part 30). If persisting on the end of it does not shift it, something is amiss.

The exploded diagram might be slightly incorrect as part 30 should be nearer the body of the tailstock than part 32.

It may be that someone has overtightened part 26, perhaps mushrooming the end of it. When you do have it apart, check that the keyway/groove in part 31 does not have burrs on it as they will hamper smooth movement.

There is a manual here:

https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net/documents/01936 Manual.pdf
Exploded diagram on page 6.

Rodpr is referring to part 26 on that diagram. Remove it altogether.

With screw 2 and handle 34 removed as your picture shows, the whole tailstock barrel should slide out of the front with more or less force on the projecing part in your second photo (which is the end of part 30). If persisting on the end of it does not shift it, something is amiss.

The exploded diagram might be slightly incorrect as part 30 should be nearer the body of the tailstock than part 32.

It may be that someone has overtightened part 26, perhaps mushrooming the end of it. When you do have it apart, check that the keyway/groove in part 31 does not have burrs on it as they will hamper smooth movement.
Thank you. Appreciated.

Finally loosened it with WD40 and a heavier 'persuader'....

Great. Don’t wind it in as far now.

If the tailstock barrel is stuck in the casting body, the amount of winding is irrelevant to the problem.

In his original post, he says "if I turn the wheel it moves a bit but the tailstock won't come out". That does not sound like the threads have bottomed out.

If the barrel and screw were welded together, they would still slide easily within the body, and finger pressure on the end of the screw, once the handle was removed, would eject them as an assembly.

Back