Strong case for euthanasia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have not been feeling well over the last few weeks and I assumed it was due to catching a virus a few weeks ago. I have been feeling very tired and lethargic and off my food. I have been drinking like it is going out of fashion and getting up during the night three or four times to the toilet! I drink a lot of coffee so put it down to this. Also I have been sweating so much during the night my bedclothes are sopping wet! After talking to one of my work mates he asked if I suffered with Diabetes as he does and the symptoms sound similar. He gave me a test with his blood sugar level machine and it came out high at 9.4. (Well he told me this was high) He suggested I visit the Doctor. I did and now I am awaiting a blood test next week to see what is wrong with me? In a way I hope it is this as I am falling behind on my jobs at the moment and need some more energy. I think I am now starting to fall apart after all the high volume work I have been doing. :?

Sounds like diabetes to me, although those symptoms can have a number of other causes, most of them rare. If your blood sugar level was non-fasting that is not hugely high though, if it was fasting then it is. Depends how long before the test you ate and what it was you ate.

Steve.

HI

Sounds like T2 same as me and a number of others on this board as well.

If it is once you get it under control you will feel better than you have for a long time, possible years.

The best advice I can give you at this time is look at this site Diabetes Support Forum

There is a lot of good info on there and if the test comes back positive join the forum they are very friendly and very helpful.

john

I know how it feels to want a positive diagnosis. Hopefully you'll get that soon (I haven't). It could be any number of things. I have a weak bladder and go to the toilet at least 3 times in the night, so I know how frustrating that is. I've had all the tests and everything was just inconclusive. But I do agree that your symptoms sound like diabetes. Waiting for the NHS is dreadful, but at least you've taken steps to get it sorted. I suffered with my back for 3yrs before I went to the doc!!

Basically, I'm a medical wreck ;)

OK heres what I think,cut the coffee off at suppertime.just water after that,the reason your sweating is your trying to shed caffine and going to the bathroom like crazy is to much liquid to late in the day.8 glasses a day (16 oz.)water is what you should be drinking...
Oh and I have a mild case of Diabetes...my triglycerides are too high.Too much pop (caffine)

StevieB":3kui9i9u said:
Sounds like diabetes to me, although those symptoms can have a number of other causes, most of them rare. If your blood sugar level was non-fasting that is not hugely high though, if it was fasting then it is. Depends how long before the test you ate and what it was you ate.

Steve.

Sounds like it to me too. The finger prick tests can be a bit inaccurate though with the other symptoms it looks typical - how long has this gone on for? Have you noticed a progressive development of the symptoms? Does your wee smell like sugar puffs? Personally, I would think that 9.4 mmol/l is on the high side and would only expect to see that if you had been consuming large amounts of simple carbohydrates very near to doing the test.

You can do an oral glucose tolerance test on yourself which may (or may not) help you. Get a £10 blood glucose meter from any pharmacy or big supermarket, I'd recommend Accu-Check or Contour as they seem the most accurate and reliable. This wiki page seems to give a pretty good description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_tolerance_test

however, stress and viral infections can also raise blood glucose but it sounds like this has been going on for a while.

On a positive note, diagnosis is simple and the treatment protocol is well defined so you should get that almost instantly. Take care of yourself

Andy

He suggested I visit the Doctor.

???????

He might be a dab hand in the workshop but he knows pipper all about poorly blokes from Hull!

I think you just need to build yourself up. What are you, 10 stone?

A bloke of your age should weigh at least 14 stone. No wonder you're ill!

:wink:

Cheers
Brad

No Brad much lower than that. I normally weigh between 8.5 and 9 stone but am down at the moment to 7.8. I have always been on the light side as was all of my family. Built for speed us lot. :lol:

Mailee - reading your other post and what you've been saying about loss of appetite I wouldn't discount stress either, it manifests itself in all kinds of ways, even if you think you're coping with it. As an example a mate of mine went through a marriage breakup and got very stressed/depressed and had loss of appetite, as a result he got very thin and was generally in a bad way for quite a while as you get into a bit of a spiral.

Just something to bear in mind when you're chatting to the quack

My wife is Type Two, is not overweight, takes plenty of exercise, neither drinks nor smokes and has no family history of Diabetes. It beats me.

Roy.

mailee":2of7div3 said:
No Brad much lower than that. I normally weigh between 8.5 and 9 stone but am down at the moment to 7.8. I have always been on the light side as was all of my family. Built for speed us lot. :lol:

There you go then...

I prescribe pie and chips twice a day.

You'll be right as rain in no time!

:lol:

Brad

Ah, you're back then!

How was your caravan?

My slightly portly stature is mainly as a result of my excessive alcohol consumption over the last 30 years or so. Taking a leaf out of your book I've cut right back over the last few weeks...

...and lost half a stone!

:lol:

Now where's that bottle opener?

Brad

BradNaylor":qmdpggzz said:
I prescribe pie and chips twice a day.

You'll be right as rain in no time!

Just don't buy them from the Chip Shop near Brad or you'll be bankrupt aswell as rotund :lol:

mailee":26yj1ckt said:
I know nothing about your symptoms, but it sounds to me like your underweight at less than 8 stones. Depending on your height you ought to be able to calculate your BMI which ought to be somewhere between 18 and 25ish...and IMO pie and chips ain't the healthy way to put it on! - Rob

Hi mailee

I'm T2 as well from what your saying the sweating like you have and drinking like a fish is all symptoms of being diabetic 9.4 is not normal but in its self is not that high but it does need to be lower . whilst your waiting for result go and buy a ac cu check + monitor and check your levels three times a day at differing various times to see what sort of variation your getting in the bg if at time its a lot higher then it's almost sure you got it

As some one else says stress don't help especially the stress your under with your employers at the moment that will not help you at all , it needs to be removed from your life totally, passing water as well like you are will contribute to your weight loss , don't do any thing diet wise till you get your blood results and know for sure what your dealing with , but try not to worry about being diabetic if it is that , there is life after becoming a diabetic .

I'm T2 too! maybe we should all start a new club?

Seriously though Mailee - if it is T2 then it's not the end of the world. Personally I wouldn't even worry about getting a monitor to check yourself yet - just wait until you have spoken to the Doc. Then make sure you get everything you're entitled to on the NHS - and incase you don't get them already - the moment you are prescribed medication you are entitled to free prescriptions. You should also be entitled to visits to a nutritionist (who may be able to help you gain weight without resorting to pie and chips), and a podiatrist, as well as retinal screening and free eye tests.

Good luck mate, and whatever the diagnosis I hope you feel better soon.

Back