Medical discussions that veer off track...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Went for an annual diabetes blood-test check yesterday, including a "foot check". ("Can you feel this?" "Yes.." check over!)
Because I'm "on the edge" diabetes-wise, I'd given permission for them to check my lifestyle, such as it is.
I'd been warned that this discussion/questionnaire would involve certain "very personal" stuff, but didn't expect it to be quite so in depth!
One of the scores of questions involved...erm..."having relations", one of which was literally "When did you last have...."
Be warned!
I answered truthfully - as you tend to during medical discussions - and said that it was about 30 years ago.
"You've been celibate for 30 years?! Really?! I wish my husband could claim the same!"

Lol aye can catch one offguard! for them though it's on the same list as kidneys, heart and toes so they loose their 'modesty' after several thousand clinical contacts!

It is in part however why the little blue pills are available to purchase if necessary without a script however you can expect similar questions from them! no getting away from it!

It gets worse with phone appointments, I am sure that they are nothing more than a check to see if you are still alive and if not can remove you from any list and then claim they have reduced the waiting times on the list.

I answered, 5 minutes ago in the doctors waiting room.

Couldn't understand the horrified look I got, then I realised doctors hadn't asked " When did you last have your ex ....." 😡😡

It gets worse with phone appointments, I am sure that they are nothing more than a check to see if you are still alive and if not can remove you from any list and then claim they have reduced the waiting times on the list.

I suspect you're spot on.
I had a blood test in November, and I got a phone call literally the following day.
That in itself was unusual - you can normally wait for the famous "about two weeks" - and then I heard the receptionist say that the "results had abnormalities" which had caused enough concern that the GP wanted to arrange an appointment.
The speed and comments were enough for me to think "Uh-oh....Trouble ahead", until she added "but we can't see you until the middle of December..."

Well, thanks for that!
Ten minutes ago I felt fine, thirty seconds ago I had the fear of God put in me, and now I've got to wait for almost three weeks to find out what's wrong!"

Lol aye can catch one offguard! for them though it's on the same list as kidneys, heart and toes so they loose their 'modesty' after several thousand clinical contacts!

It is in part however why the little blue pills are available to purchase if necessary without a script however you can expect similar questions from them! no getting away from it!

I got away from it! I've no desire for the little blue pills!
Summer 1991, too hot, and we both decided that we couldn't be bothered any more! And haven't since...
(I was going to type "couldn't be ar5ed", but then realised it could confuse this issue on here!) :giggle:

My doctor asked about the "relations" time frame as well, but it was because the blood test also included PSA screening.

there are usually other accoutrements to the PSA test!
If you're referring to the digital exam, this bit of fun can happen on the day as the PSA sample, but only after the blood has been taken.

I have a device connected to the phone line that once perday it sends the activities of my Defib Pacemaker to the hospital comp....
It reads the PM via blue tooth when I'm in bed......
Any heart prob they phone u at home.....!!!!!!
Often wondered if they knew when we were at it......?......increased heart rate.......hahaha.....

If you are feeling OK and can see that you are as fit or fitter than most contemporaries , why bother? Be aware that the goal posts for diabetes, cholesterol etc have all been moved in recent times in favour of the pharmaceutical industry which makes a fortune out of conditions. There is plenty of information available to improve lifestyle and food choices. Look at how much sugar consumption increased over the last century to see the main cause.

If you are feeling OK and can see that you are as fit or fitter than most contemporaries , why bother? Be aware that the goal posts for diabetes, cholesterol etc have all been moved in recent times in favour of the pharmaceutical industry which makes a fortune out of conditions. There is plenty of information available to improve lifestyle and food choices. Look at how much sugar consumption increased over the last century to see the main cause.
potentially quite a dangerous way to live but YMMV.

They had me down as “pre diabeties” for a couple of years, then one year decided I was borderline diabetic, nothing changed, no medication but still the yearly check,,last year I decided to actually look at the copy of the results of the blood tests etc that they send to me and was surprised to see that on every catagory my levels were well below the recommed levels,,with the conclusion being offered that I should continue as useual, it was the same this last time, so I queried this with ghe doc who said that once they had decided it was on your record and that was it,,testing for life I suppose. Now two things occurred to me, 1 I don't expect the doc is doing this for nothing,,managing diabetic patients is probably quite lucrative esp as a nurse really does it, and secondly its something else I have to declare on my travel insurance,,a bit annoying when Im not a d probably have never been diabetic!

They had me down as “pre diabeties” for a couple of years, then one year decided I was borderline diabetic, nothing changed, no medication but still the yearly check,,last year I decided to actually look at the copy of the results of the blood tests etc that they send to me and was surprised to see that on every catagory my levels were well below the recommed levels,,with the conclusion being offered that I should continue as useual, it was the same this last time, so I queried this with ghe doc who said that once they had decided it was on your record and that was it,,testing for life I suppose. Now two things occurred to me, 1 I don't expect the doc is doing this for nothing,,managing diabetic patients is probably quite lucrative esp as a nurse really does it, and secondly its something else I have to declare on my travel insurance,,a bit annoying when Im not a d probably have never been diabetic!
really interesting topic.

in the days of QOF a practice would get money just for enquiring about smoking / drinking / weight management etc.

Scotland has moved away from this.

on a local level demographic mainly dictacts income via the Carr-Hill Formula - changes in the locality take time to filter through e.g large housing estates being built where the threshold doesn't call for an additional practice.

here's a link that explains how primary care earns money and here is one about QOF if interested.

e.g used to do 6 week mother and baby checks now just technically being paid for baby checks but some practices continue to offer check-up for mum as well - but won't be renumerated for this any longer. my point is not everything necessarily comes down to a fiscal question for a given medical practice but these kind of things get decided at a governmental level

Not always for life. I'll add a lot of confusion here - my wife was diagnosed as being diabetic 15 years or so ago. She rigerously kept to a diet and was so pleased that every time she had any test it appeared she was maintaining it well. Until 3 years ago when we changed doctors and she was assured she never has had diabetes - all those years of keeping to a diet! So she no longer has the checks and tests.

really interesting topic.

in the days of QOF a practice would get money just for enquiring about smoking / drinking / weight management etc.

Scotland has moved away from this.

on a local level demographic mainly dictacts income via the Carr-Hill Formula - changes in the locality take time to filter through e.g large housing estates being built where the threshold doesn't call for an additional practice.

here's a link that explains how primary care earns money and here is one about QOF if interested.

e.g used to do 6 week mother and baby checks now just technically being paid for baby checks but some practices continue to offer check-up for mum as well - but won't be renumerated for this any longer. my point is not everything necessarily comes down to a fiscal question for a given medical practice but these kind of things get decided at a governmental level
Living near Skegness where all the old cronies* move to die the doctors here must be raking it in. (* I'm an old crony in case anyone objects to my ageism but I moved here for the cheap housing not necessarily to peg out).

Back