Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go Jim:

P1040156.JPG

You will remember that when I fitted the T-track to my new router table top I was a bit stingy with the length. This has been bugging me a bit, so I took advantage of Rutlands' sale and bought some T-track.

The problem was that when I fitted the first pair, I didn't just screw them in, I used Gripfill, too. That was a bit of a mistake, now that I wanted to pull them out. What to do? Well the first thing to do is to phone Eric the Viking Who Knows Everything, who told me that Xylene (which I don't have) dissolves Gripfill (and pretty much everything else it comes into contact with) and WD40 (which I do have), will soften it. Might be worth a try. Half and hour later it looked like this

P1040155.JPG

That was yesterday and today, when the WD40 had dried off somewhat, it didn't look anywhere near as bad. Certainly not ruined.

I had thought that it would be pretty much impossible just to extend the groove at exactly the same width, I was expecting to have to use the wider mitre track, but now that I have my nice new fine adjuster I could get it right to the nearest nanometre.

P1040157.JPG

P1040159.JPG

P1040160.JPG

I do like it when I get it right.

I also want a mitre track along the front, so that I can make my finger-joint jig again.

The corners of my RT top are rounded and there is the danger of the router fence slipping at the end, so I fitted a longer piece to the fence, so that I could exert pressure in the appropriate way to avoid that.

P1040162.JPG

And so I think it really is finished

P1040163.JPG

The rise and fall mechanism is built in to the router, and I use a socket in my cordless drill for quick up and down. For more precise adjustment I had been using a socket on the end of a hand-held shaft, like a screwdriver. Unfortunately, the other day, the handle, which is a very brittle plastic, broke and I was left with just the metal shaft. So today I cut that down, put an M6 thread on the end and fitted a Bristol lever.

P1040164.JPG

P1040165.JPG

All I need now is to make a dial to show the change in height. I believe that one full turn is 1.5mm, so 240 degrees of arc is 1mm. My previous one was a 1/16" pitch and I had one for that. It translated as 0.1mm = 27 degrees, IIRC. This one will be 0.1mm = 24 degrees. It's easy enough to do with Sketchup and the Bristol lever acts as a pointer as well as a handle.

Attachments

• P1040156.JPG
    P1040156.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 1,222
  • P1040155.JPG
    P1040155.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 1,222
  • P1040157.JPG
    P1040157.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,222
  • P1040159.JPG
    P1040159.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 1,222
  • P1040160.JPG
    P1040160.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,221
  • P1040162.JPG
    P1040162.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 1,221
  • P1040163.JPG
    P1040163.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,221
  • P1040164.JPG
    P1040164.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • P1040165.JPG
    P1040165.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 1,221
When it comes to routers, I splurged on the Bosch GMF 1600 CE. I have a hard seeing Festool topping it, with the replaceable bases it can go from a fixed to plunge base router in an instant. And the round motor part is easy to mount in homemade machines or lifts. The fixed base also works well as a router lift for a table, and can be adjusted above the table.

Steve,

Been having a look through some the beginning again today (I'm a bit bored at work on a slow Friday and wanted to remind myself of your odyssey!). Wow - what a journey. I don't post very often but I wanted to say if you haven't flicked through from page 1 recently, I'd recommend it. I know at times you've hit your limit and felt a bit fed up with it but I think seeing the progress from a derelict shack to a well built workshop should feel very rewarding.

Keep up the good work!

(hammer)

Thank you Bert. Yes indeed I have felt very fed up about it, it was a ridiculous thing to do, but, well, you know.
But yes, also, I am enjoying getting the workshop straight. I've spent the last week or so making a drill press table, like my own, for the Community Workshop

P1040201.JPG

I've got the geometry a bit better on this one, on mine the Bristol levers are a bit close together at the back.

This morning I've been out removing the last of the shiplap off the back wall ready for the Cempanel. This should have been coming this week, but Ray could not come on Wednesday and so I've postponed delivery for a bit. I'm not going to attempt to carry 37kg down the garden on my own. What do you think my name is, Doug B?

Attachments

• P1040201.JPG
    P1040201.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 981
Hello Steve,

I imagine I am one of a large number of people who have stumbled accross your excellent mega-thread and read it all from start to finish. It took days to read it all, but it was not a chore as the whole thing is very entertaining and informative. Thanks in particular for the info on the "square of thales" and all things jig related - I am a woodworking dunderhead so these tidbits are great.

I do have a question related to the current stage of your workshop - namely cladding. I just finished a much smaller building in my garden which I am gradually trying to convert into a (tiny) workshop. Unlike you I did not need comply with building control because I am away from the boundary and i am not planning on sleeping there, so I was able to use wood cladding, but since I was using cedar I could only afford to do the two sides visible from the house.

For the back and side I agonised for weeks on what would be a suitable cheap alternative, and eventually gave up and decided to use the same Fermacell boards I was using inside.

my heart sank therefore when I read the advice you got about avoiding gyproc (another gypsum based board) since I have always been worried about how well mine would take the weather, particularly near the ground where water splashes back. Up until now I have been dealing with the problem by studiously avoiding any inspection of the boards, but I am not inspired to take a closer look and see how they have faired after a couple of winters. I will pop out later today post a pic if anyone is interested.

Anyhow, I am very interested to hear how you get on with the Cempanel (which I had not come across, but they look just the ticket) - would you mind sharing how much they cost and where you ordered them?

cheers

nick

Steve Maskery":22vv2cvi said:
Hi nick
I've bought 31 boards from FGF in Birmingham at 13 +vat, 10m thick.

10m thick???????? they are going to take more than you and ray to shift and fix :lol:

Steve Maskery":3go0uf41 said:
Hi nick
I've bought 31 boards from FGF in Birmingham at 13 +vat, 10m thick.
argh! it is cheaper than Fermacell too - oh well. I did have a root around the base of my shed looking for evidence of water damage and took a photo of the boards, unfortunately it seems I can't include a picture until I have made at least 3 posts. I am afraid those of you looking forward to seeing the results will have to contain your excitement until I can find another topic to comment on!

Nick

thank you - I must have been doing something wrong. I will try again now.

I took a look at the external fermacell boards and I think I would classify the result as 'could have been worse'. This is what they looked like when I put them up: http://buildyourowngardenroom.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/9-fermacell-cladding.html.

Here is one of the corners - this corner has the down-pipe next to it and one of the things I keep meaning to do is get a water butt to take the rain from the roof, but for the last 18 months it has just discharged straight to the ground which will have resulted in a lot of splash back. So I suppose this is the worst case situation:
IMG_1761.JPG

It is unsurprisingly dirty, from water splashing back from the surrounding soil, but the boards are still firm at the base and do not appear to have absorbed water or expanded. Some paint has come away from the corner and it is crumbling slightly although I suppose this might be the result of it having been knocked. So all in all, not a disaster by any means although I do wonder how it will fare after a few years. I might dig a trench underneath the boards and fill it with gravel to try and reduce the splash back...

Attachments

• IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 923
I think it's absolutely disgusting, him skiving off on holiday and depriving the rest of us of our regular workshop wip fix!

:lol:

Seriously, when you get to read this, welcome back Steve.

AES

AES":2ix6thky said:
I think it's absolutely disgusting, him skiving off on holiday and depriving the rest of us of our regular workshop wip fix!

:lol:

Seriously, when you get to read this, welcome back Steve.

AES

+1

Latest posts

Back