Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who live in glass houses...

file.php

:)

How is that Bosch axial slider behaving - still has happy with it as the day you both it ?

Looks like a nice machine

ps a little tip for the plastic strips is using a teflon hammer

Mcluma":23ork3qq said:
How is that Bosch axial slider behaving - still has happy with it as the day you both it ?

Looks like a nice machine

It is brilliant. I was disappointed with the laser when I was using it outside, but inside it is clear. All nice and solid and reliable. I'm not surprised, as the 10" model I had before was also pretty flawless.

Mcluma":23ork3qq said:
ps a little tip for the plastic strips is using a teflon hammer

Erm, I must be getting old or something...

?????

S

PVC window unit retaining strips though I think you made wooden frames and are nailing trims on in the piccy!

Tom K":q39mrvdz said:
PVC window unit retaining strips though I think you made wooden frames and are nailing trims on in the piccy!

ah,

i thought they are pvc units,

because to get the glass beading strips into the pvc units, you use a teflon hammer

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Bosch

Thanks for posting the jig picture. I see you used your diamond strips idea for the sliding table - that's a really neat way of doing it, and looks like it makes for a very simple way of doing a sliding table. I would have done it with drawer sliders or some such over-complication. I shall have to borrow your idea next time.

I use the diamond keys in a lot of my jigs, pretty much anywhere that requires one part to slide over another. It keeps the two parts nicely aligned so that they slide without jamming. The biggest challenge is sizing them accurately. Too big and the two parts will not sits without rocking, too small and the two parts will rack. They have to be a Goldilocks fit. I use a drum sander to do that, but you could also do it by very careful hand-planing.

If I couple it with a slot and Bristol lever, I can lock the two parts together anywhere along their travel.

I've spent the week trying to get a bit more organised inside.

I've hung a few more things up, like my axe and stepladders, bandsaw blades (I didn't realise I had quite so many)

P1040114.JPG

installed some more french cleat (yes that piece is banana-shaped)

P1040115.JPG

and a piece a bit lower than the rest for my notice board

P1040116.JPG

I've rearranged the wall a bit too, swapping over the router table and tool cabinet which puts my tools closer to the bench.

P1040117.JPG

I'm going to have to make some sort of storage for my drills. At the mo they are in one of the drawers, but I have to walk round the bench every time I want to change the drill. I need to house them right by the drill. Does anyone have any really neat drill bit storage solutions?

I do still have quite a lot of the jigs I had in my old workshop. Not all of them, but quite a lot. Some I can't remember what they do! But apart from the ones that were stored in a cupboard or seriously wrapped in cling-film, many are in a pretty sad state. Water-damaged, pigeon-pooped, bashed. So I've decided to remake them, using better quality MDF. So this morning I went off to buy some MRMDF

This is a jig for holding thin workpieces for planing. Well, it was once.

P1040118.JPG

So with a bit of cutting and gluing and clamping

P1040119.JPG

and screwing

P1040120.JPG

I have a nice clean replacement

P1040122.JPG

The workpiece is the light piece at the front. The scruffy piece towards the rear is just a packer. The workpiece is wedged in place and the harder I push, the tighter it gets. This jig will hold securely workpieces down to 6mm thick. Thinner, if I pack them out underneath.

P1040121.JPG

I have three different-sized wedges, which are all stored on board. Here it is ready to hang.

P1040123.JPG

The place would be an awful lot tidier if I had my log store. I could get rid of a ton of offcuts. But there is no point me starting to make that until the patio is sorted which is going to be late September at the earliest now. But it is a good feeling starting to make things again, even if it is just a few bits of MDF.

Attachments

• P1040114.JPG
    P1040114.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 851
  • P1040115.JPG
    P1040115.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 851
  • P1040116.JPG
    P1040116.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 850
  • P1040117.JPG
    P1040117.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 850
  • P1040118.JPG
    P1040118.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 851
  • P1040119.JPG
    P1040119.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 851
  • P1040120.JPG
    P1040120.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 851
  • P1040122.JPG
    P1040122.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 851
  • P1040121.JPG
    P1040121.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 851
  • P1040123.JPG
    P1040123.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 851
In that first pic you look like a homicidal sushi chef!

Seriously though it's very good to see you using the workshop rather than being tormented by it. Nice clamping jig too.

Re. the diamond slide guide, I can't see any advantage over using a rectangular 'key' in a conventionally routed slot. They'd certainly be easier to make as the vertical dimension would be non critical [providing it was no greater than the gap in the upper and lower slots] also it would resist any twisting/racking without needing to keep any downward pressure on the sliding piece.

monkeybiter":2p5kap6m said:
Re. the diamond slide guide, I can't see any advantage over using a rectangular 'key' in a conventionally routed slot.

I don't know what Steve is thinking, but there are two advantages I can think of:

- The keys are more or less self-locating - if you lift one half off and then place it down again, it's much easier to find the keyways again. Not so frequent a benefit, since you'll probably put them together once and leave them, but if it is something you need to reassemble frequently, diamonds will be easier.

- Probably-more-relevantly, if you cut the keyways ever-so-slightly undersize, there's zero play. To get the same effect on a rectangular slot, you have to cut the slot absolutely precisely; with a diamond-shaped way, then you just have to be undersize - you have a much wider window before the gap between the top and bottom parts will start to introduce other problems. (Of course, if you have two keyways they still have to be cut precisely the same distance apart on both halves, but that's still an easier task than getting a rectangular slot/key precisely the right size.)

I couldn't have put it better myself, Jake, thank you.
And if you need two parallel ones like on my tenon jigs, that is easy to do on the RT and is why I think it is a good idea to have plenty of depth behind the cutter and not just in front of it. I reference of the same edge and they are guaranteed to be parallel.

Steve Maskery":3mjgivhx said:
and screwing

That's a still from one of those instructional safety videos that's followed a couple of seconds later with Yaaarrrghhh! B*ll*cks! I've just drilled into me leg! isn't it? :mrgreen:

Sploo,

Fair guess, but I think you've been taken-in by the fiendish Maskery publicity machine again.

It's obvious to me that he's photo-shopped it. In actual fact (as I can now reveal), he was having a sneaky Condor moment:
steve.jpg

But I believe all the smoke helps to keep the MDF dust down, so it's probably a good thing on balance...

Attachments

• steve.jpg
    steve.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 744
Eric The Viking":1dkv3ni9 said:
Sploo,

Fair guess, but I think you've been taken-in by the fiendish Maskery publicity machine again.

It's obvious to me that he's photo-shopped it. In actual fact (as I can now reveal), he was having a sneaky Condor moment:

But I believe all the smoke helps to keep the MDF dust down, so it's probably a good thing on balance...

=D> =D> =D> =D>

That brings back memories - St Bruno, Condor, Gallaghers Flake and some of the "Girly" aromatics (to quote my Dad).
A very long time ago but it used to be fashionable to smoke a pipe.
I remember taking part in a clay pipe smoking competition at university in the early 70s, more to do with the ladies in mini skirts and knee length suede boots promoting tobacco than the tobacco itself but the memory has stuck.

Back