Starting a Woodwork club - South Wales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I've been away having my gallbladder out but am now back and raring to go.

I'm thinking of making a booking for a Saturday morning in the next few weeks (maybe avoiding the Easter weekend). I'll post a date after I've spoken to the hall.

James

Hi - I was googling woodworking clubs in S Wales and stumbled on this thread - I would be very interested to her if anything emerges from these discussions.

When I was younger (so we are talking more than 20 years ago) I used to go to an evening class hosted in a local school. They had metal and woodwork shops, teachers were on hand to deliver instruction and we were able to potter around and make whatever we wanted with as much or as little help as needed. I don't know whether such things are still possible - I had a look at evening classes in and around Cardiff but the only thing I could find was a class in Penarth Community Centre. As far as I know (I might be wrong) Penarth Community Centre doesn't have lathes and similar.

So, keen to be involved or help.

Simon

A South Wales club sounds good, I'm in Carmarthenshire though so also a bit of a trek to nip across to Cardiff :(

I could be persuaded to let people meet up in my workshop. Not necessarily to carry out demos etc as I'm not sure my insurance would be too happy......but it's certainly big enough to have a cuppa with a load of other lads.

zodiac - Llantwit Fardre is near Bridgend, so should be well under an hour from Carmarthen.

If there is a meetup/club of some description going on, I'd be happy to meet up. There's quite a few other South Wales folks around I'm sure some of them might be interested.

I wonder if schools are able to hire out their facilities to people to run courses or workshops. Most of the 'adult education' courses available now seem to be based on what might be considered safer activities, like computer programming, photography or art. It does seem a huge waste that school workshops are not more easily available to the general public, we still pay for them after all. I wonder if someone with the relevant 'qualifications' could make an approach to a school, probably one already running other evening courses, to see if something could be arranged? An alternative would be for enough people to enquire about a course at a school or college, they may be encouraged to ask an existing teacher if they wish to make some extra money running something in the evening.
Failing that, if anyone on this thread has a workshop, just set a date and time and issue an open invite., only takes 2 people to get something going.

Hi All,

I've been thinking about this thread for a while.

I have a large enough workshop for a meeting.

I make kitchens and the like for a living, so may be some machines of interest to people.

I wasn't thinking about a weekly meeting, more like perhaps once a month.

I would like to do some kind of money raising for charity if it was to go ahead, by
1) I have a fair bit of panel product that I just end up burning, we're not generally talking full sheets here (but sometimes there is), but stuff that may be of use to others. Perhaps sell through a bidding system?
2) Depending on what jobs I have, I may have solid timber that would be of use to others. Sell as above.
3) Sell teas and coffees

I was thinking that people could also bring along any tools etc. that they may want to sell.

If it was just once a month we could probably organise a demo by someone.

What are peoples thoughts?

Nathan

Sorry for the hijack.
Anyone in or near Carmarthen willing to help a retired Gent set up his combination machine.
Long story typed the lot and lost it because of a computer problem.
Not me, I just think it won't be viable for me to do it for him.
Please post, I'll keep an eye for a week or so, or PM & I'll get an email.
Money, not sure, beers perhaps, I'm just flat out with industrial stuff, so between you and him if you agree.

NetBlindPaul":3153fycc said:
Sorry for the hijack.
Anyone in or near Carmarthen willing to help a retired Gent set up his combination machine.
Long story typed the lot and lost it because of a computer problem.
Not me, I just think it won't be viable for me to do it for him.
Please post, I'll keep an eye for a week or so, or PM & I'll get an email.
Money, not sure, beers perhaps, I'm just flat out with industrial stuff, so between you and him if you agree.

If I had the time, i'd be happy to, unfortunately at the moment I can't. (39 week preggers wife, half built house, own business)

I shouldn't be trying to organise an open day really, but it pains me sometimes to see the stuff I burn and really want to stop wasting it, but I have to get rid of it otherwise I couldn't move.

Nathan

I'd be interested in an open day as well. And if you have some good quality pre-coated ply, I'd come up and take that off your hands. :D

So not quite the flood of enthusiasm I was expecting for a meeting place, with some big toys and a way to make some money for charity and come away with some cut price materials, but there you go.

If we can get 5 people together then we'll have a go.

I think we can count 2 so far?

Nathan

http://www.nathandavies.design

I think in general a Saturday would be best for people, but if everybody put their preference up then we'll see. Lets see how much interest we get.

Nathan

I'm up for it. Give me a couple of weeks to get over the shock of having a new baby!

nathandavies":2picvs9g said:
MrYorke":2picvs9g said:
I'm up for it. Give me a couple of weeks to get over the shock of having a new baby!

Snap, brought ours home today.

Forget the woodworking club mate, you've joined the best club in the world.
Congratulations Nathan and Mrs Davies on the arrival of Baby Davies =D> =D>
Best wishes.

nathandavies":xueo25ep said:
MrYorke":xueo25ep said:

Snap, brought ours home today.

Nice 1! We're booked in for Tuesday. Estimated weight of 10.5lbs........and that was 2 weeks ago!

Latest posts

Back