Stanley tape measure- relacement tape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm after a replacement tape for a Stanley 8 metre/26' tape measure? I'd rather not chuck the thing away -it's a 25 year old friend :(
Any ideas?

You used to be able to get replacement tape for higher end ones, I don't know whether you still can. Have you asked Stanley Customer Services?
If not, can you buy a whole new tape measure and put the internal gubbins inside your existing case. I'm not sure how to stop it exploding when you open it up though!

Hi Steve
You are correct. They certainly used to sell replacement tapes. I recall swapping out a tape in a smaller chromed finish Stanley measure many moons ago! I did have a look at the Stanley US site and they list the tapes as discontinued.

I asked at a tool dealer recently and they said yes they did used to do them but the cost got so close to the cost of a completely new measure it wasn't worth stocking as no-one bought them then Stanley's stopped supplying

I've just had a look at my 5m tape. I don't know what make it is, it is branded with my local timberyard's name on it.

But if I pull it right out, beyond the end of the scale, I can see that the tape itself is simply hooked into the spring:

20161114_135312.jpg

So you could swap in a new tape without dismantling your old case.

Attachments

• 20161114_135312.jpg
    20161114_135312.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 115
Steve Maskery":325xc696 said:
I've just had a look at my 5m tape. I don't know what make it is, it is branded with my local timberyard's name on it.

But if I pull it right out, beyond the end of the scale, I can see that the tape itself is simply hooked into the spring:

View attachment 20161114

It depends, sometimes when you've pulled the tape out that far all the gubbins inside has gone "SPROING" and may no longer work :cry:

Stanley tapes even though they are about £2.50 on amazon are mil perfect over a meter and not much more over that. Bargain in my book. Just buy a gold fax max one if you need some bling in your box :)

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Steve Maskery":3tsot3p5 said:

View attachment 20161114

If you pull the black bit out further, there should be hole, that a nail will drop into to prevent rewind when the tape itself is changed.

Bod

Back