Replacement compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
My little Stanley air compressor has died. Not a flicker of life; even the switch LED doesn't come on. I will take it apart somewhen, but it was both a bit undersized and very noisy.

So what would be a good replacement?
At the moment I use it to clean dust out of the corners of the bandsaw and that sort of thing. I might be tempted to try a sander attachment in future as my random orbital sander is also on its last legs, and possibly paint spraying (I'm thinking of using an old tent as a housing for this).

Any recco's for something around 20-25l and as quiet as possible, and reliable and preferably not too expensive and...

Hi,
I have this 25l model, it sits under my open bench, and it is very quiet, don't need ear defenders on when it's running. Holds pressure well too. Had it about 3 years now, sound rated at 65db.
I only use it for an air nailer and some small item spraying with a mini spray gun plus some air brush work.
If you want to use air sanders air drills etc it isn't powerful or enough volume TBH.but they do larger models too.
It replaced an Aldi one which had died after 3 years, was very loud and basically was carp in comparison.

85321-20210223-173419.jpg

Just done a test, pressure fully released. From empty to full, when compressor shut off was 3mins 45 seconds.
Hope that helps.

They do larger 50 and 100 litre models too.

There are other threads on the forum discussing compressors.
I agree about sanding and larger spraying jobs, 50L would be more appropriate.

@Deadeye - sorry for your loss, I lost my old compressor a couple of years ago, been with me since 1999. I replaced her with an Orazio silent compressor, not silent but very quiet. I can't remember which model it is, and my old shedshop is now unusable due to over filling with rubbish, so I can't see it (new workshop build coming up this year) but I think it's the 24lt, highly recommend it, hope that helps

Definitely agree that 25lt is only a tnkerers compressor, you would need a minimum 50lt, and tbh thinks pushing it. Serious tools like sanders and air drills etc are air hungry, so for them I'd look to 100lt, 3ven my old dead 50lt one was really up to job for them.

There are mods you can do to help smaller compressor, but nothing really going to beat air volume those tools need.

Here's a mod example

My little Stanley air compressor has died. Not a flicker of life; even the switch LED doesn't come on. I will take it apart somewhen, but it was both a bit undersized and very noisy.

So what would be a good replacement?
At the moment I use it to clean dust out of the corners of the bandsaw and that sort of thing. I might be tempted to try a sander attachment in future as my random orbital sander is also on its last legs, and possibly paint spraying (I'm thinking of using an old tent as a housing for this).

Any recco's for something around 20-25l and as quiet as possible, and reliable and preferably not too expensive and...
Look for a Bambi compressor there so quiet it’s what dentists use to power their drills and such.I’ve had my for 10 years and no problems.

Attachments

• 9FED7CA4-90B3-4BF4-A84C-88998F9ACAA7.jpeg
    9FED7CA4-90B3-4BF4-A84C-88998F9ACAA7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back