Replacing pulleys on piston compressor for less noise?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I need a compressor to power a spray gun rated at 12CFM @ 8 bar. But the sticking point here is that I need the compressor to be as quiet as possible so that I keep the neighbors happy. To date, I have searched every possible type of compressor; hydrovane, screw, piston ..

All of them are rather limited when it comes to single phase and most do not do an offering that gives me the CFM I require.

I then read a brief post about buying a large piston compressor and replacing the pulleys on the motors for slightly smaller ones so that it reduces the compressor piston speed and noise.

Clarke do a large 18CFM single phase unit and if I could apply the above theory I wonder if that has potential to work.

Anyone on here have any experience of whether I can do this or other options?

Thanks

Interesting idea. Compressor and low noise don't belong in the same sentence unless you have deep pockets.
Keep us posted on your progress with this, I need to start sandblasting again soon.

Forgot. I read somewhere that quite a bit of noise comes from the air inlet so a better filter on this can reduce noise as well.

As woodpig says noise and money are not good bedfellows

I have a hydravane compressor that may keep up with what you need you could have a conversation close to it whilst its running but thats >£2000

slowing down a piston compressor isnt going to do anything good for its output
pistons are always noisy unless they are in a insulated enclosure with lots of ventilation

bambi types are good and virtually silent but you need a triple or quadruple header at least to keep up with what you require then thats >£1300 ish

Ian

Can you send me a link to a single phase hydrovane compressor that will output 12cfm at 8 bar. To date, I have not been able to find one.

Thanks

flh801978":37yd55c3 said:
this is the same as mine and will happily run a 15cfm blast cabinet and when spraying i've never run out of air

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hydrovane-15- ... 19ff5f3e91

remember that it will supply more air at a lower pressure than maximum (150psi)

Arghh, I see. Common sense did make me think whether if you only require 100psi then a machine running at 150psi producing 9cfm is able to produce 12cfm at 100psi.

Is air compression / output per minute a linear relationship for a given machine?

We had a Hydrovane where I used to work, great tool if you can afford it.

"bambi types are good and virtually silent but you need a triple or quadruple header "

Do you mean several fridge-like compressors sitting on top please?

Sam

Sammy
yes those are the ones
they run in a synthetic oil bath so clearances and tolerances are tighter and sealed in its box the whole thing is silent
I have a double header one for workshop use such as pinners or airbrush use

Ian

Thanks Ian, that's helpful.

I have a conventional, noisey, 50L, with a bandjaxed pressure switch; it won't shut off at working pressure. I was going to swop out the offending item, but also replace the compressor with three de-gassed fridge compressors I liberated from a plumbing colleague. I plan to link their output together in parallel (and possibly with one-way valves to prevent 'inflating' them) but am considering wiring their on/off switches separately so that I can select only one or two to run once at full working pressure. My needs are light, nailers and pinners mostly, with an occasional session with a cheapie grit blaster for cleaning plane bodies, lathe parts, small castings. My sprayer is a self-powered HVLP one that is adequate for what I do, so no need for a huge air supply there.

Sam

Latest posts

Back