Your Favourite Tape Measure(s)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm getting increasingly annoyed with my budget tape measures that don’t stay hooked on to anything. I'd be interested in hearing your favourites before I start looking for a new one. Something nice and clear to read, with a good hook and available in multiple sizes would be ideal

Thanks

Sean

I got my last Deal from Screwfix in a Twin pack, So far they've been perfect for my needs.

STANLEY-TAPES.jpg

SOURCE

I've always got by with budget ones too, but if i was looking for a quality tape I'd probably start with stanley fatmax

I have two Milwaukee ones but I don't think they are any better than other makes.

The old metal Stanley would be my choice.

Stanley Fatmax 5m

Metric only - I actually have a new one on it's way to me now. End snapped off somehow, but in the few years I've used it, been great.

Real game changer for me was metric only - so much better/clearer.

I have a wish! Several years ago ….some one (Lee Valley Tools?) made for a very short time a tape that was completely without markings. You could just mark onto it, a ‘story tape’. I saw it long after they were no longer marketed. I wish someone did them!

edited to add….

Well ! It seems they do still sell them, but I expect the import cost would be silly!
https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/sho...apes/65359-lee-valley-story-tape?item=99W7850

Last edited:
I’ve used multiple different tape measures over the years and find they all suffer with the same flaw. The hook at the end inevitably ends up loose and can add 1-2 mm to your dimensions which is probably ok for some projects but useless for anything requiring accuracy. I’ve taken to adding superglue to the hook end . Best one I’ve owned is a staratt but unfortunately can’t find it since erecting a fence recently..

I’ve used multiple different tape measures over the years and find they all suffer with the same flaw. The hook at the end inevitably ends up loose and can add 1-2 mm to your dimensions which is probably ok for some projects but useless for anything requiring accuracy. I’ve taken to adding superglue to the hook end . Best one I’ve owned is a staratt but unfortunately can’t find it since erecting a fence recently..
always surprises me how many people think the play at the end of a tape is a manufacturing flaw and not a deliberate, and essential, part of the design.

if the end is glued then surely you loose the movement which you need to push up or pull out and still be accurate?

I have a wish! Several years ago ….some one (Lee Valley Tools?) made for a very short time a tape that was completely without markings. You could just mark onto it, a ‘story tape’. I saw it long after they were no longer marketed. I wish someone did them!

edited to add….

Well ! It seems they do still sell them, but I expect the import cost would be silly!
https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/sho...apes/65359-lee-valley-story-tape?item=99W7850
amazon sell fastcap tape measures which are not blank, but look to have extra space alongside the measurements for your own story marks £16 for a 25ft tape, good ratings (if you believe them).

Thank you for the suggestions all

Stanley Fatmax 5m
Had a look at this one online and it does seem nice and clear. Will stop me from being lazy and using imperial if I happen to have the tape that way round too! So far I think this one might be what I go for

Sean

if the end is glued then surely you loose the movement which you need to push up or pull out and still be accurate?
I measured several from the inside face of the hook to the 100 mm mark with a rule and and there is nearly always a 1.2 mm difference so with the hook glued in place 100 mm on the tape is 100mm on the ruler. I get it if your pushing the hook against a surface and measuring that it makes no difference but if your start point is the edge of a board then you naturally pull against the hook and it’s loose then it’s no longer accurate imo of course. I prefer a steel rule for accuracy then there is less room for error.

how did you measure the accuracy?
It's a class 1 tape like the Hultafors I linked to so should be accurate. It's always a good debate how accurate a tape measure needs to be for woodworking, I just like to know I'm using the best available.

I'm always surprised that Stanley don't even make class 1 tape measures :dunno:

https://www.thetapestore.co.uk/tapes-rules/tape-measures/tape-accuracy

I am a fan of Starrett. Easy to read, and the mechanism used on this version is the most ergonomic …

1669508787167.jpeg

My current favourite is a Hultifors, which I purchased to try out as they have a great rep.

They are similar to these small ones I like by Festool/BMI.

1669508975995.jpeg

Regards from Perth

Derek

how did you measure the accuracy?
I don't but it's class 1 so is more accurate than class II, most measures are class II, custard on here a few years ago recommended class I tape measures and I've never been disappointed

Back