Stairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatesmr2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Not sure if this is the right section but thought i would see if any of you know about stairs?
On the outer edge of my stairs there is a lip (not sure if this is the right name :oops: ) it leaves a straight edge on the walls but i was wondering what it actually does. I would ideally like to remove it and after looking at a friends his is solid wood mines hollow. Also his is half against a wall and half open mine connects both sides to a wall.
Do not want to start taking it off if it is needed but would prefer to remove it as i am sure i have seen stairs without these on. They are painted white and i was looking at sanding the stairs down and staining them etc.
Hope this makes sense i am not a builder as i am sure you can tell lol

Many Thanks

Martin

Hiya thanks for getting back so quick

I mean the stringer i think found this online
http://www.make-my-own-house.com/stair- ... ction.html

It shows it going with the stairs but mine comes up just over the top of each step. It leaves a nice straight edge but i would prefer it as it is in the diagram so it is hidden by the stairs.

Hope that makes it a little clearer
http://www.make-my-own-house.com/carpet ... tread.html

Or in the first of the photo's in this one i mean the brown wooden part along the sides of the stairs.
Sorry for not being very technical.

Martin

It sounds as though it is some form of cover strip hiding the gap between the string and the wall that you are talking about...........but I think we are going to need photos of your stair, not someone else's!!

Mike

hi martin

the brown wooden bits as you describe them cannot be removed they are the stringers , get under the stairs remove the plaster boarding or what ever covers the underside of the stairs and you will see why they cannot be removed . the treads and risers are rebated into the stringers, sorry mate . hc

hi martin

just looked at the pics you show as an example is your like the one on the right,? but you want it like the one on the left ,? yes or vis a versa ?? if it like the one on the right , then take a look underneath .hc

Hi HC

Thanks for getting back
In the second link I have the right pic but want or at least wanted lol the left hand one or the one underneath with the green carpet as it does not look like it has stringers.

I will have a look as its a cupboard under the stairs and can pull a little of the plaster board off as it needs re-skimming anyway.

Thanks for your advice can you suggest another way as to remove all the paint and get them ready apart from sanding have never used nitro-morse
as find it easier and cheaper to replace normally.
Or is it going to be a lot of hard work and hand scrapping getting into all those corners :roll:

Just wondered why they sometimes put them and sometimes don't is there a reason ?

Martin

Hi Martin

Or is it going to be a lot of hard work and hand scrapping getting into all those corners

You got it in one , i have to say that as I have never used any type of strippers (chemicals with me its a no no) so I wont be able to help you there with advice but i guess someone will be along who can .

The two types of stairs are designed very differently from each other hence the difference and as far as I'm aware its not possible to alter your to look like the other design, having said that anything can be done but the amount of effort and time will be enormous, I certainly would not entertain the idea at all IMHO BETTER To start again with new stairs but the cost ???? Sorry it's properly not what you want to here .

Once you look under the stairs I'm Sure you'll relies what would be involved.hc

If you want to remove the stringer and have open treads then your treads will fall out.

The stringer has housings cut into it to take the treads and the risers and underneath the tread and riser is wedged to keep it all tight. If you were able to cut away the stringer then not only would the treads lift off but the wedges would also fall out and your stairs will fall apart.

It would be easier to install a newly made stair with an open stringer.
Or you could board out the wall to the same level as the string thickness.

why not clad the strings in faced ply wood
i have done this . using yellow pine capped off and with matching spildles and handrail looks good. you do have to put up with a join along them but it was a sacrifice i was happy with.
if carpeting you dont have to be to fussy with the fit against the treads and risers as wont be seen.

i am just about to buy a house which needs similar doing but this time i will be making a new flight. easier can do the decorating after then

andy

Latest posts

Back