staircase bannister

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
This picture
BeachSt004.JPG.jpg

shows a metal bannister ..an utter abomination....the building is currently set up as flats and so my question is....would it be Building Regs + the fact that it is converted into flats that has mandated this monstrosity?

I'd like to get rid of it.

Montrous-perhaps, but maybe just a practical solution. Perhaps it was retrofitted as extra security for a less physically able person, e.g. like those grab rails you can get for bathrooms etc? Out of curiosity why is it an issue ?.

Ike

With or without the metal grab rail, it looks like the handrail wouldnt meet building regs anyway. :?
Even less likely if they are flats.

ike":1a9s878g said:
Out of curiosity why is it an issue ?.

Ike

I think it looks hideous and detracts from what is, IIRC, a 17th century staircase.

Hitch":1a9s878g said:
With or without the metal grab rail, it looks like the handrail wouldnt meet building regs anyway. :?
Hitch..what makes you say that? I'd like to learn more.

Hi Roger ,
I think it is there as said to comply with building regs . The last four treads would be without a handrail if it wasn't there . You need a continuous handrail at 900mm high from the line of the run to comply with the regs .

The handrail on the left, if that is a handrail, would not conform to current Building Regulations. The metal one on the right would not be allowed either because of the size. That is if the approved document is followed slavishly.
I reckon it might have been added as an assistive device for a person with a mobility impairment. In which case it is probably very useful but ugly! There are better types of handrail for disabled, and able people than that.

SF

Why do you say the handrail on the left wouldn't comply with regs ?

On second thoughts the handrail on the left might well be OK. I thought it was flush with the wall but now I see there are brackets. Should have looked a bit harder the first time.
If it had been fixed directly to the wall it would not be much good for someone who can't grip with the ends of the fingers.
Well spotted that man!

Cheers.

SF

hi roger
i concur , the handrail on the right is an abomination

does the handrail on the left run the full length of the staircase ???

if so , does it require the h/r on the right ???

IIRC you would only require a h/r both sides if the staircase was above a certain width ,cant remember what the width was thou.

mel

Thanks guys for all your help. If the project goes ahead then it will be a conversion back to a single dwelling and so methinks that the screwdriver might have an outing :wink:

Back